I'm just starting to play guitar for about 5 months now and there are a lot of things I don't know about.

first please watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWgbMY-s_2g

It's a cover of For the love of God by Steve Vai and I have no idea how can I have this kind of distortion, very clean in sound. In fact, I don't even know if it's distortion or not, how can a distortion guitar sound so clean ? Can anybody teach me ?

I'm using an Ibanez Gio GRG90 with a Tubeking Ibanez Distortion pedal.
You've missed the most important piece of information - your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
why dont you google steve vais rig? its all expensive tube gear but i bet it can be emulated with a peavey vypyr or valvetronix

not braggin but i came across a tone very similar to it on my valvetronix.

it was on the numetal setting (mesa recto model), gain 9-10, mids 7-8, bass 5-6, treble 9-10. with a generous amount of delay. you may wanna roll back the gain for a more melodic tone, the EQ on the VT isnt very good so i wouldnt bother too much
Last edited by jimithrash at Feb 19, 2009,
^'Numetal' is a mesa recto? Wtf.

OP, I'm thinking gain around 5 or 6, treble high, like 8.5 to 10, mids from 6-7, bass from 4 to 5.

Post your amp too.
Quote by Mazzakazza
^'Numetal' is a mesa recto? Wtf.

OP, I'm thinking gain around 5 or 6, treble high, like 8.5 to 10, mids from 6-7, bass from 4 to 5.

Post your amp too.

yes it is.. terrible name for it i know..
jsut watched the video, his tone isnt suited that great to the song, the original by steve vai is the best i reckon you should just stick by that
no offense dude, but as close as you think that your getting with a valvetronix, once you actually hear a tube amp nail that tone. you'll never listen to yours the same way again.

and shut up, i know a valvetronix is a "tube" amp, but the tube doesnt do ANYTHING so it doesnt matter.

By a carvin legacy and a DS-1 and a Jem, should only cost about 3000$

oh and get the DS-1 keeley modded. only way to really get his sound.
My amp is a small VOX that came along with my guitar in a beginer pack.

By the way, according to this guy's info, he's using a MXR Wylde Overdrive. Are Overdrive and Distortion 2 kinds of different sounds or they're the same ?
the pedal isn't the issue - the amp is and sadly yours isn't capable of those kind of tones, pedal or no pedal.

Also a big part of why good guitarists sound good is simply that, they're good. They have much better developed control and accuracy enabling them to articulate notes exactly the way they want to, at 5 months you're simply nowhere near that kind of level and even if you played through the exact same rig you still wouldn't sound great.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if i remember correctly, Vai uses no distortion, its jst a hell of a lot of gain (hence his really good sustain). Drop the mids right down, low just above half, and treble really high. The rest of it is done using equalizers, chorus and delay.
Ive managed to make a decent copy of vai'stone for my GT8, but its not perfect.