Hey!
I spend 90% of my time on UG in the Gear section - i wouldn't say i'm bad at all at guitar - got some not so bad gear as well.

Right, i'm looking for a bass - because i cannot find many good bass players for some of my writing - i want to do it myself and i am thinking of just trying to master another instrument.
Im okay for amplification at the mo.

I need a bass with preferably a thin and fast neck - not sure what sound i exactly want, but lets just say i don't want a Stingray style...

I love funk sounds and the songs of Chic, Larry Graham and all that Sly stuff, Narada Michael Waldon, James Brown and even Jamiroquai.

Suggestions would be appreciated so i can go straight to a nice range in a shop and get deeper into it. Maybe a Fender of some sort.

Budget is fairly loose - but lets aim from £400 to £600 and a bit.
Thanks.
First of all do you have a bass amp? You can't use your guitar amp...

I don't have time to look for individual models, but I'd say look through Ibanez, Traben, Fender Jazzes, and maybe a Fender Precision Deluxe, which has a Jazz neck. Peavey definitely wouldn't be a bad option either. I'll post more when I get out of class...
Nope, no sig here.
i would really suggest any type of Ibanez Soundgear. You can get them for like 200 - 1000+ USD. they are really good and have an EXTREMELY thin neck. i have ae 5 string Ibanez SR405QM, look it up. its 5 strings but the neck is so damn thin i feel like im playing a 4 string.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Quote by Mutant Corn

I don't have time to look for individual models, but I'd say look through Ibanez, Traben, Fender Jazzes, and maybe a Fender Precision Deluxe, which has a Jazz neck. Peavey definitely wouldn't be a bad option either. I'll post more when I get out of class...

Haha thanks for noting that - but "me not stoopid".

No, this is entirely away from the guitaring im doing.

I have access to bass amps and P.A's etc - no worries there.

I just would like to practise it a lot at home just acoustically as well.

EDIT: I forgot one thing - i would like 5 strings if possible.
That price range is pretty much dominated by fenders, however Ibanez make some nice basses and the neck has a similar feeling to a guitar neck (ibanez players are the butt of "failed guitarist" jokes). I'd also recommend a fender standard jazz or perhaps an active jazz if you think you'll use the EQ.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
If you really want a 5 string with a fast and slim neck then go for an Ibanez SR series. They are much harder to slap and pop on than a fender, for instance, but they are quick as lightning for anything else, and built very well.
Is he's going Ibanez, wouldn't an ATK or Ergodyne be better?

Here's what I found on my GAK run...there's quite a few, and all would work.

Fender MIM Jazz V (with pau-ferro fingerboard? )
edit: Keep in ming that Fender's 5-strings uaually have wide necks...thin, but wide.

Traben Neo Limited

Yamaha BB615

Peavey Zodiac DE (apparently these come in sunburst and white? )

Peavey Millennium 5 AC BXP (why are Peaveys so cheap over there?)

Ibanez ATK 305

Ibanez EDB 555

Epi T-bird Pro? These are supposed to be much better than normal ones, and I imagine it'd work well with Funk.

Good job on that post btw, we didn't have to ask you for more info at all!

I'll keep looking...are there any better sites?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 19, 2009,
Thanks so much guys.

Really helpful!

Haha, so many choices! Im quite familiar with Yamaha and Ibanez basses and some Fenders.

Not so much with Traben, but they look quite nifty.

Im liking the SR series a lot.

That Ellefson bass looks great and some good choice of pups.

Not keen on some shapes...like the T-bird - reminds me of rock bands that try too hard

Im trying to cut them down to around three - so:

Jazz V
SR Series

and....argh it is so difficult
^ You're right for not liking the shape, they neck dive pretty bad. You're not alone in the anti-Tbird camp either...most of the bass forum would rather put bass strings on a Stratocaster than play one.

You've got some pretty varied tastes there...IMO those two are nearly opposites of each other. Are you looking for a good hybrid of the two, or something that's closer to one of them?

edit: As for the SR series, there's two in your price range, the 505 and the 705. Basically cheaper vs better.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-sr-505/11055
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75469
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 19, 2009,
I really would suggest anything Ibanez, Fender or Yamaha. My friend has an Ibanez SRX305 (I think it is anyway) and it looks real nice. I'd say stick to the 4 strings but really is up to you.
I would like a Moon bass - seemingly impossible to get one it seems.

But something along the shape of the L.G sig one like a Jazz bass shape.

Maybe two different kinds up pups - but not so much on the e.q fiddly side like a Bongo bass.
Quote by Mutant Corn

You don't really need a bass amp to record bass and that's what it seems like he is trying to do.

A jazz bass sounds perfect for you. Try to find a deal on a used one at a local store.

Ibanez bases are not that great at all to be honest. Like the ones with musicman style pickups....they sound nothing like a musicman. The only Ibanez I have ever liked was a original ATK bass (not the new ones they are making now) and even that had an awkward feel compared to a musicman.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Last edited by Woogles at Feb 19, 2009,
so am i, please notice my signature.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Mutant Corn
Is he's going Ibanez, wouldn't an ATK or Ergodyne be better?

Agreed!

The ATK is really quite P-Bass-like, it's a grand bass but night not be quite what he's looking for.

For the kind of mellower funk sound you've described, and for a thin neck, I cannot recommend an Ergodyne highly enough. It's got the same feel as the Soundgear, one of the most comfortable basses out there in my opinion. The tonal range on it affords you plenty of options, and is great at a more groovy sounding bass line.

Of course, I might be biased, since the only bass I own is an Ibanez EDB500... but I tend to be a pretty objective person? Besides, I've played plenty - including a Stinger that I actually got to borrow for a good few months. And I definitely recommend a higher-end Ergodyne for your needs and price range.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Theres a musicman sub on basschat for 350, nope sorry it sold, i think theres an atk 5er on there for 400 aswell, check it out for deals.

www.basschat.co.uk

Ibanez necks are very thin, thinner than youd think. I would choose a fender jazz v over all those bas's there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I have been hovering around bass chat for a week or two now......hmmm - i will get a jazz bass of some kind - that style.

Again, thanks for all these - keep em coming if possible.
Jazz style, £400-600...that pretty much leaves the MIM Jazz V, as far as fivers go. The only similar body style I can think of is the Zodiac, unless you're willing to go used.

If you do go used, I bet you could find a Lakland Skyline somewhere. Those have a reputation for being better than MIA Fenders.

edit: I just looked on ebay.co.uk...if that's any indication of the used market over there, you could probably find a MIA Jazz V in your price range.
Nope, no sig here.
NOTE: I am most definitely willing to go used - all my gear i have has been bought from other people or traded.
New prices - especially for the UK these days, are disgusting.

I have noticed that within 6months (thomann) (just an example) the Engl Blackmore amp has gone up over £250!!! Shocking.

So yeah, used - ebay etc - thanks.
Have you checked soundslive.co.uk for one there really cheap.

Why dont you go and look on enay, and see if theres anything in you price range.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul