So hey I met a guy who's willing to trade his Fireball+cab with V30 speakers with my Alchemist combo. I've always been into blues,classic rock and also into metal. I can't really find the awesome heavy lead tones out of the Bogner as I thought it would.

There's one downside, I heard that the ENGL has great cleans but can only do metal well and nothing else. Is this true ? If it is,would buying an Overdrive pedal (tubescreamer,bad monkey etc...) solve this problem because I still want to play some blues and classic rock.

Or ar there other suggestions for a pedal with great blues and classic rock tones too?
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
the fireball is overall a metal amp and not really great for blues........ but the PowerBall can easily do it

EDIT:
what metal are you talking about???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by K!nj!
So hey I met a guy who's willing to trade his Fireball+cab with V30 speakers with my Alchemist combo. I've always been into blues,classic rock and also into metal. I can't really find the awesome heavy lead tones out of the Bogner as I thought it would.There's one downside, I heard that the ENGL has great cleans but can only do metal well and nothing else. Is this true ? If it is,would buying an Overdrive pedal (tubescreamer,bad monkey etc...) solve this problem because I still want to play some blues and classic rock.

Or ar there other suggestions for a pedal with great blues and classic rock tones too?

I have played through the Alchemist (both the head and combo versions) and it is great for metal,shred, heavier genres I don't know how you think its not good enough? What guitar are you useing?
The Engl is pretty much the two extremes, so your Alchemist is probably better suited for you allround.

Am I right in thinking that the Fireball costs more new? You could always make the trade, sell the Fireball head and buy something more suited to you. It's a pretty long winded way of doing things, though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Sergeant Madd
I have played through the Alchemist (both the head and combo versions) and it is great for metal,shred, heavier genres I don't know how you think its not good enough? What guitar are you useing?

My tele with a tone zone in the bridge, the Alchemist is great for blues and classic rock to hard rock but I can't get a good metal tone out of it. Maybe I'm dialing it in wrong, can you remember the settings?
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
I'd think throwing a TS in front of your Alchemist would solve the metal problem really, as it does with most tube amps.
What are your settings right now on it?
This are the settings I tried to get a metal sound

gain:10
boost on
treble:7.5
middle:5.5
bas:4
bright on

this is my other setting:gain:10
treble:8
mids:2(ugh I hate scooped mids)
bass:9
bright on,boost on
Quote by K!nj!
My tele with a tone zone in the bridge, the Alchemist is great for blues and classic rock to hard rock but I can't get a good metal tone out of it. Maybe I'm dialing it in wrong, can you remember the settings?

Keep boost on.
Gain 8
Low 7
Mids 2
Highs 9

Thats what I leave it on, might be different for you because of different guitar/pedal set up though.....
k,thx any suggestions on pedals that would get me a great blues/classic rock sound?...I was thinking of a Zvexx Box of Rock too.
Thanks for bringing up this question. I too, have been looking at the Fireball and believe it to have great high gain ability(not for me) but wandered if it could also rock in all subgenres like classic and modern.

Thanks again for bringing this up......its helped me out!
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head