In another post I ran across this quote ......

Quote by Warpo
I locked the tremolo by just tightening the screws to the body. I don't use the whammy and the guitar gets better tone.

The guitar in question is an Ibanez GRX20.

Can anyone provide more details on how this is done? I don't need, or want, the tremelo bar on the guitar. I would rather "lock it down" to improve the tone.

Also, when I am ready to get a new bridge is it possible to replace this one with a bridge that does not have a tremelo bar? would the rear cavity need to be filled in if this were done?

Thanks
MY GEAR-
Dean: Performer E (accoustic/electric)
Ibanez: GRX20 (electric)
Takamine: Jasmine (accoustic)
Crate: V33-212 (amp)
Boss: RC-2 (loop station)
Behringer: X V-amp (Multi Effects Pedal)
I'm no authority on Ibanez but on a strat its as simple as wedging a correctly sized piece of wood between the main block of the trem (under the backplate) and the wood that resides there. that stops any upbend and then you tighten the springs right down to stop any downbend too.
Get what I mean?
Lossen strings, take off the back cover, add 2 springs(total of 5), tighten the claw down, replace back cover, tune guitar and play. If trem moves repeat.
You can also do as samuel suggest and block the trem. But with 5 springs and the claw pulled tight I didn't you will need to.
^ you need wood on either side of it to make it perfect then id tighten the screws
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Thanks for the tips. I will try these things out. Anyone have suggestions on the second part of the question? If i change the bridge to one without a tremelo will I have to fill in the rear cavity?

Thanks again for all of the help.
MY GEAR-
Before I screw something up......can you guys take a look at the attached photo. This is the way I understand what I'm suppose to do.

MY GEAR-
No need for more springs if you block it. Simply do this...

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
For your second q, You don't have to unless you want to. It will make it look better if dont right.
i've been thinking about how to block off a floating tremolo, and the Tremol-no (or what ever its called) is way too expensive, so i just thought about doing this

(Invalid img)

i figure you would first mount the bracket, and adjust the front bolt to just butt up against the spring-block. then you would insert the nut/bolt behind the spring-block and unscrew the pair until it was as tight as possible. maybe even using 2 brackets and 2 nut/bolts to transfer more vibration to the wood
probably the bigger the hardware the better. and you'd probably want to use a flat head bolt (as opposed to a rounded head) for the rear of the spring-block, so there's more contact area with the body of the guitar
Or... you could be even cheaper.... and put a piece of wood...

You are overthinking this.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I agree, this is WAY too overthought. 5 springs, tighten screws should be just fine...unless you're using like guage 17 strings...but wood works also quite well, either way it's simple...
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...