Now don't get me wrong think rgt guitar exams are a good guideline to learn guitar(doing grade 5 soon). It just feels like I'm not learning the way violin players or piano players learn their instrument with good music theory. I do understand music theory I just can't understand those little black dots so if I start from scratch I might become a competent guitar player someday. Discuss if you like but my question is are there any good sites that will start you off from scratch on reading music for the guitar?
Don't be fooled - I played violin and trombone at school, and never learned any theory until I had to, cos you needed grade 5 theory to take the grade 6 practical exams. Sure, I learned to read music, but thats as theoretical as it got til then.

As far as reading music for guitar - I'd just get a tune-a-day book or something like that. It'll be incredibly boring tunes, because its designed for absolute beginners, but it'll teach you to read music.

Or if you can just find a site that teaches you to read music, don't worry about whether its specifically for guitar or not. The music says the same thing whatever instrument its for, and provided you know the fretboard you'll be able to apply it. Just start off playing everything in first position and when you get more confident start moving around the fretboard a bit.
You'd be able to find a good book in any good music shop. But if you want a site to teach you this is really a job for www.google.com
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Firstly, there is no such thing as learning the right way, as long as the information you process is correct.

Second, www.musictheory.net use the note trainer a bit everyday, learn some songs from notation and your good to go.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Virtuoso883
Now don't get me wrong think rgt guitar exams are a good guideline to learn guitar(doing grade 5 soon). It just feels like I'm not learning the way violin players or piano players learn their instrument with good music theory. I do understand music theory I just can't understand those little black dots so if I start from scratch I might become a competent guitar player someday. Discuss if you like but my question is are there any good sites that will start you off from scratch on reading music for the guitar?

"correct" way ?

There are many "correct" ways to learn, and many paths to competent guitar playing.

If you want to learn to read, there are plenty of books. Having a teacher to guide you through would be helpful.
Having someone to help you learn to read music is the best way to go, until you are confidant you know what your doing. None of the guitar instructors can read music fluently enough to teach it around here though, so I branched out and found a pianist who was willing to give me a couple months of lessons on the basics of music theory and reading standard notation. You can learn theory and how to read standard notation from other instruments as well, but a piano teacher is best because you can play along with them without having to fiddle with transposition, it's best to stick to single/double note melodys, if you can do these you can do it with chords, except you dont have to mess with using the same/compatablie voicings with the pianist. Once you can do that, you can leave the teacher, and you'll have a firm foundation to branch out and start getting into the guitar specifics. The various Jamey Aebersold play-a-long books are good if your learning from another a musician whose instrument is not in the key of C. It already has the melodies transcribed for multiple instruments, and you will get the chords, and backing.

Warning: You are not going to a non-guitarist teacher to improve on your guitar technique, they may or may not have any idea how to actually play. This teacher would be used for learning to read music only, and is a last resort if all local guitar teachers are music reading incapable. This can also be a good way to learn new ways to look at soloing. (Small Town Life most likely)
Last edited by Shallon Dark at Feb 19, 2009,
Helpful advice, thanks . Also interested in learning piano or violin this summer so that is definitely gonna help me progress assuming I actually do start playing one of them.
Quote by GuitarMunky
"correct" way ?

There are many "correct" ways to learn, and many paths to competent guitar playing.

If you want to learn to read, there are plenty of books. Having a teacher to guide you through would be helpful.
There also many bad ways to learn and that is why you get people who have played for a long time and have not progressed in years and are very limited in what they can play, so getting a teacher as you say is a very good thing.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Yes getting a teacher is good. I also believe that with enough attention and some logical thinking you can correct most if not all of the musical problems you will have.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Firstly, there is no such thing as learning the right way, as long as the information you process is correct.

So wouldn't you not be learning the "right" way if the information you process is incorrect?