So I just got an ISP Decimator G-string. Everything works great and all, but there's still something that bothers me. When I'm muting the strings, everything is great, but it's WHILE I'm playing, I still get a lot of noise. Sometimes notes get swamped from the noise and it frustrates me.

Is there something I can do about that? I play high gain, with EMG's and a 6505 so of course things will be noisy, but I would've thought the decimator would take care of that. Also, would the ProrackG do a better job at what I'm after?

Where does the noise come from anyway, while you're playing? It's definitely not feedback, so I guess, pickup and or pedal noise? (I only use a Maxon OD-9) Would it help to switch out the preamp tubes for better ones?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Last edited by fearo at Feb 19, 2009,
I am having similar issues with a new orange rockerverb 50 and no matter what it is crazy loud noise. I have a boss suppressor pedal but it doesn't make a lick of difference. I don't get to much noticeable noise while playing but as soon as I mute the strings it squeals insanely. Would a decimator noise reduction work for me or what is out there to eliminate noise? Im using active EMGS fyi
Any help?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
i pretty much have the exact same set-up. only a OD 808. Is it kind of an "ocean noise"??
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
are you running it in front of the amp or in the fx loop?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
i have the normal version, and i notice that it does seem to cut a lot of noise when you aren't playing, not just so much when you are. it's still excellent, though (with my setup, anyway), the advantage is that it's pretty natural.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am running it both in the loop and up front. It's just a high, constant annoying noise.
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
well i messed around with my ground switch in the back and it got rid of an annoying noise for me.
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Quote by gpderek09
are you running it in front of the amp or in the fx loop?

G string has 2 inputs, one for front end, and one to plug thru the fx loop.
just be careful if you go near a ground switch, you can electrocute yourself (i think). i'd try to kill the noise another way, it's too risky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the European version of the 6505, which doesn't even have a ground switch. I'm thinking the ProrackG might be a better option, with the 2 thresholds.

But the question still remains. Why doesn't the noise get filtered while playing? And what can I do to resolve it?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Anyone?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
what type of noise is it? it wouldn't be a microphonic valve or pickup?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The fact that the noise is less when my OD pedal isn't on, leads me to believe it's preamp hiss. But shouldn't the decimator be able to take care of that?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
you would think so, yeah. assuming it is just hiss...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just did some experimenting, with switching the pedal on and off while playing. Didn't make the smallest difference. As much hiss when the pedal is on or off. I even put my G-string in front of the amp and my old NS-2 in the loop. Same deal.

These pedals do nothing, once you actually start playing.
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
I think you've got a problem beyond "hi-gain feedback"
Somethings microphonic, something isn't grounded properly, bad electrical socket, etc.
Atleast that's my guess
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
yeah, it sounds like there's something wrong there, whether with the pedal, amp, pickups, or all three (or a combo of those).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?