Hey all

This summer i'll do a summerjob that should fetch me the cash to get a tube amp but that leaves me with a dilemma...

I was planning to switch to EMGs when i got my tube but i wondered, why not switch now? I got the choice between getting the tube and the EMGs this summer or get the EMGs now and the tube this summer, the later option seems most attractive to me:p

But now my question is, will EMGs actually make my sound worse than they are with my stock pickups (Ibanez S470) since i'm using a solid state Roland Cube 60 for the moment?
I've read alot of comments about that happening and it's the only thing stopping me from ordering the EMGs now.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

PS. Also, i was planning to go EMG 85, 81 and SA but now the 85X, 81X and SA-X versions came out i'm starting to doubt, what exactly is the difference between the normal versions and the X versions, and wich would you suggest me getting? I play a huge variety of music, from Metallica and Iron Maiden to Three Doors Down and Poets of the Fall.
Quote by Gego
But now my question is, will EMGs actually make my sound worse than they are with my stock pickups (Ibanez S470) since i'm using a solid state Roland Cube 60 for the moment?

yes they will, in my opinion. But then again, there isn't much that sounds worse than those INF pickups
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
EMGs sound great through cubes. i've had EMGs in two of my guitars running them through my cube, and the EMGs didn't change the tone too much from the stock pups because the cube tends to make everything sound the same, but the EMGs did give me an endless increase in sustain.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
if you're going to eventually then why not.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
May as well, but give the EMG-X's a try.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.