Hi again UG,

As you may have seen from a seperate thread that I have recently been having some problems with my guitar technique, but I have also been experiencing many different pains in my wrists, fingers and shoulders whilst playing

These pains have only appeared over the last week or two (Which is also when I have started to do more exercises, may be related?) Since I have been trying to improve the accuracy of my left hand on the fret board. I used to have my fingers( left hand) slanted towards the bottom of my guitar but I have recently started to straighten them up by having my thumb a bit lower on the back of the neck of the guitar which has made me have more room to straighten them up and point down into the fretboard more, rather than slant across the strings, this is helping me become more accurate but is having side affects.

I think that this has lead to my first problem, my left wrist has been really aching whilst I play and excersise, I think this is because I have had my wrist at to much of an angle towards the guitar. I know that I have almost answered that question myself, but has this ever happened to anybody else? and are there any ways I can stop this from happening? I have tried raising my left arm a bit more which works, although it is uncomfortable, and raises my shoulder and creates Extra tension there So its basicaly a lose/ lose situation)

I have also been having pains on my left hand further towards my arm from my pinky finger, and inside the edge of the palm of my hand, which is really aching and hurting, this problem also occurs when practicing

And then a final pain which feels the same as the previous one, but it is in between my thumb and index finger of my left hand and also happens when playing guitar.

Sorry to bombard you all with a large wall of text, but has anybody else experienced these problems and are there any ways that I could get rid of these pains?

Thank you for reading!

Liam
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 21, 2009,
I have had the same guitar for the last year and a half, and the problems have only recently started to occur, so I dont really think it is the guitar.
#1 I think that this has lead to my first problem, my left wrist has been really aching whilst I play and excersise, I think this is because I have had my wrist at to much of an angle towards the guitar. I know that I have almost answered that question myself, but has this ever happened to anybody else? and are there any ways I can stop this from happening? I have tried raising my left arm a bit more which works, although it is uncomfortable, and raises my shoulder and creates Extra tension there So its basicaly a lose/ lose situation

Interestingly enough, I had this same problem in the past. First off, if you're bending your wrist back, you're doing it wrong. Bending your wrist toward the ground is NEVER a good thing, and causes tendinitis.

#2 I have also been having pains on my left hand further towards my arm from my pinky finger, and inside the edge of the palm of my hand, which is really aching and hurting, this problem also occurs when practicing

Once again, probably from tension.

#3 And then a final pain which feels the same as the previous one, but it is in between my thumb and index finger of my left hand and also happens when playing guitar.

Sorry to repeat myself, but it's probably tension.

Here's how you can fix it; Practice SLOWLY, focus on the muscles that pull on the tendons/areas that are hurting, and relax them. Relax them even if you have to stop playing. Start again, and focus again on the muscles that pull that area. Relax again. Rinse and repeat.

EDIT:
Quote by gsd65
guitar just might not be for you

This statement is all too wrong. What he was saying here, TS, is that he thinks that you should quit playing the guitar. You know what I think? I think this guy is a complete fool.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Feb 19, 2009,
Thank you for that reply, I will slow everything down for a while and have longer gaps bewtween playing sessions. My wrist is still aching a bit now, And the last time I played was yesterday afternoon SO I will probably leave it a while before I play again

Thanks
It sounds to me as if your posture is to blame. Try adjusting the position of the guitar until your wrist is straight at all times; rest all your fingers on the sixth string and move your hand up and down the frets, making sure that your wrist is straight.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
It sounds to me as if your posture is to blame.

Yes, this is the basic point.

I'm assuming this pain happens when you're sitting? If this is the case, make sure you're not hunched over the guitar. Keep your back straight and relaxed. Make sure your shoulders are also in a relaxed position.

This next bit is going to be hard to explain...

Don't always try to play faster than you actually can. When I do this, I start to pick with my elbow. However, playing a riff in context - or as fast as it should be played - can help you break through barriers you set up for yourself. If you want more information on this, PM me. I'll try to get back to you as fast as I can.
make sure your back of your hand is in line with your forearm and not making a 90 degree angle, like most highschool kids I see playing chords-to-try-and-lose-their-virginity do

Please use tags for tabs....
Hi again, I am still not sure where to put my left hand now, I have relaxed my shoulders and am sitting up with a straight back on a hard chair and I can either have my wrist bent back, or cant play at all becase I cant reach I have been able to play much more accuratly with my wrist bent back a bit and I have tried raising the guitar but that doesnt help either.
Hi again, I was speaking with my guitar teacher today and he said that it is fine to bend your wrist back to reach the fretboard???
Anyway, I have taken some photos to show you exactly what my wrist problem is, and then I can hopefully find some way of avoiding the problem.
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 21, 2009,
Here is a picture from in front of me whilst playing guitar:

Here is another picture from the side, you can see the bend in my wrist:

If there are any more suggestions please go ahead and share them!

Sorry for the extremely large pictures, im not sure how to make them smaller
To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with your playing. Your wrist isn't bent in a way that should really hurt.

Your right arm looks slightly tense, but I'm clueless about where the pain in your left hand is coming from.

EDIT: Maybe you're tensing up your thumb? I would take a look at that. It doesn't look like it' in a very comfortable position. Then again, I play with my thumb almost exactly in the middle of the neck.

EDIT 2:
Quote by liam-rooney
Hi again, I was speaking with my guitar teacher today and he said that it is fine to bend your wrist back to reach the fretboard???

You misunderstood me. Looking back at that post, I would've misunderstood myself. I didn't do a very good job of explaining it.

The way you have your wrist in that picture is fine. I was talking about bending it the opposite way that you're bending it.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Feb 21, 2009,
From those pictures it looks like your left hand is too far back.
Try playing with the flap of skin between your thumb and index finger touching the back of your guitar neck.
Gear List:
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Sorry about my previous post, must have somehow made it in the wrong thread.

TS, your wrist shouldn't spend too much time angled like that. If possible you want a straight wrist, perhaps raising the neck and or putting the guitar on your left leg will help. Check the posture vid in my sig.

Actually, reading your first post properly I'd worry a little. Stop playing until the pain goes away, do NOT attempt any strenuous playing (bending, legato on the lower strings) until it's completely gone, and then fix your posture. I actually ran into problems like yours a few years ago, but by being very careful, I'm able to play and practice for long periods of time - this I put down almost entirely to posture and correct practice. Take a look through my lessons and this thread - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=978812
Quote by LeperAffinity
From those pictures it looks like your left hand is too far back.
Try playing with the flap of skin between your thumb and index finger touching the back of your guitar neck.

Si I axctually need to move my wist forwards more towards the guitar neck?

And freepower, does this mean I have tendonitis?
I used to play religiously with the guitar on my right leg, but since moving it to the left leg it's helped me a lot. I find it puts your right arm in a more natural position, rather than having the shoulder jerked out it'll actually come around more to compensate for the guitar being 'furthur away'.
And freepower, does this mean I have tendonitis?

No idea. From what I've heard, tendonitis is much more painful than what you describe. However, you are definately developing a guitar related injury, which is caused by the way you play guitar. Did you check out those links?
Ok, I get quite a bad pain whilst playing and then a really dull aching pain after I play, the last time I played was yesterday and its still aching.

Yes I did read all of that thread and then looked at your videos, I can see where im going wrong (I think), by not having a straight arm from my elbow to my knuckle, but I have moved the guitar around, and tried it on different legs, different positions etc. but nothing has helped and most of them cause extra stress/ tension in otherparts of my body
Quote by liam-rooney
Si I axctually need to move my wist forwards more towards the guitar neck?

I would say so yes, the skin between your index and thumb should be touching the curve at the back of the neck. There should be no space between the hand and the back of the neck.
Note that your hand position can change, for example when you need to stretch a particular distance.
Gear List:
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Drop your shoulder so your arm lines with your wrist. it may also require brnging the neck of your guitar higher.

I dont know about you guys but my guitars (electric and acoustic) usually sit at about a 45 degree angle (probably explains why i always set off star power on GH3 lol)

Ill get my roommate to take a pic of my holding my taylor. Ill edit this soon

Please use tags for tabs....
Last edited by Camdon at Feb 22, 2009,
I have moved the guitar around, and tried it on different legs, different positions etc. but nothing has helped and most of them cause extra stress/ tension in otherparts of my body.

Keep experimenting until you find something that works. Good luck.
Hi again,
I left it about a week to rest and it still hasn't really got better, just worse. I had a go on the guitar last night to see If I could find a position that doesn't hurt as much and I still can't find anything.

I am now getting sharp pains around my wrist when im trying to pick things up etc. and an aching pain when Im not moving it , I had a look around online and it sounds like a have a bit of tendonitis, does what I have sound like the symptoms of it?

Thanks again.
I will book an appoinment then but I doubt i'll get it for a while, are there are excersises that anybody knows about that can help?
Thanks
Stop playing until the pain is gone. As much as it might suck, playing guitar will aggravate your condition. I'd imagine that icing it will help.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
OK, I will have to cancell my guitar lesson on the weekend and I will Ice it more often.