Page 1 of 5
Can it be constitutional to exclude from public service or service as a witness in a state court any and all atheists? Such a practice is so throw-back in nature, that it reminds one of the Spanish Inquisition. And yet, when I read the first part of this Washington Post piece, I was flabbergasted to find that Arkansas is one of a half-dozen states that does so. Read on and be flabbergasted (or not) yourself. But know in advance that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled illegal all such laws in 1961:

Hard to say what was more remarkable about the resolution that was read into the record and referred to committee Wednesday by a member of the 87th Arkansas General Assembly.

The resolution itself: HJR 1009: AMENDING THE ARKANSAS CONSTITUTION TO REPEAL THE PROHIBITION AGAINST AN ATHEIST HOLDING ANY OFFICE IN THE CIVIL DEPARTMENTS OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS OR TESTIFYING AS A WITNESS IN ANY COURT.

Or the fact that it was submitted by the Green Party's highest-ranking elected official in America, state Rep. Richard Carroll of North Little Rock, who was elected in November winning more than 80 percent of the vote in his district.

Arkansas is one of half a dozen states that still exclude non-believers from public office. Article 19 Section 1 of the 1874 Arkansas Constitution states that "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/erbe/2009/02/17/arkansas-5-other-states-ban-atheists-from-public-service-seriously.html

****ing Idiots.

Anyway, Discuss.

paintEDIT: here is the full bill: http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2009/R/Bills/HJR1009.pdf
the new bill is actually asking to repeal the article in the arkansas state constitution that prohibits an atheist from holding public office and testifying in court.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Feb 19, 2009,
This is unconstitutional. It is expressly prohibited by the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment. I have no idea how a law like this has gotten through.
Hey, it's a well known fact that people in Arkansas also f*ck pigs, who can sometimes even be their own siblings.
What a load of bollocks. I hate it when I read things like this, it makes me want to kill myself.
Oh, so if there's a murder and the only witness available is an Atheist, it's alright for him to be shut up and not be brought into court ?
dirty *****s.

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
I would tell you to spell Arkansas correctly, but, apparently, they deserve it.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Who cares? It's Arkansas. That's barely a state.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Howard2k
Jesus Christ!!

He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I wanna know what OTHER states have this ban.

I hope VA doesn't.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman

I hope VA doesn't.

+1
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Panterica
This is unconstitutional. It is expressly prohibited by the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment. I have no idea how a law like this has gotten through.

I'm pretty sure that is just dealing with the federal government and not state or local governments.

It is still ridiculous, though.
On the up side, if you accidentally witness a mafia killing in those states, you can alays say "it's OK guys, I'm an antheist, so I can't legally testify against you! That means that you'll only be breaking my legs for the squealing noises I'll make!"
* Massachusetts
* Maryland
* Pennsylvania
* Mississippi
* S. Carolina
* N. Carolina
* Texas
* Tennessee

Those are the other states.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Arkansas is always at the bottom in school quality rankings among states so this really doesn't surprise me. Although it is something that I have always thought about...what does an atheist do in court when they are asked to take the stand?
Quote by dudetheman

I hope VA doesn't.

Yep, I would like to know if I can testify.
Quote by dudetheman
* Massachusetts
* Maryland
* Pennsylvania
* Mississippi
* S. Carolina
* N. Carolina
* Texas
* Tennessee

Really? The other states don't surprise me, except maybe Maryland and Pennsylvania, but Massachusetts?
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Last edited by maninthebox24 at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by in2thesun88
Arkansas is always at the bottom in school quality rankings among states so this really doesn't surprise me. Although it is something that I have always thought about...what does an atheist do in court when they are asked to take the stand?

lie
Quote by dudetheman
* Massachusetts
* Maryland
* Pennsylvania
* Mississippi
* S. Carolina
* N. Carolina
* Texas
* Tennessee

Awwww lawdy

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Laws and other rules against atheists and agnostics

Arkansas
Arkansas Constitution bans atheists from holding office or being a witness in court[1]
Constitution Of The State Of Arkansas Of 1874.
Article 19. Miscellaneous Provisions. § 1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.[2]
[edit]

Maryland
Unable to hold public office in Maryland
Article 37 of the Declaration of Rights of the Maryland Constitution That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.[3]
[edit]

Massachusetts
Take the lord's name in vain? Criticize religion? Spend up to a year in jail.
PART IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES
TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER Chapter 272: Section 36. Blasphemy Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three
hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.[4]
Special protections for theists that are not afforded to atheists
Massachusetts' State Constitution, Article 3 "Any every denomination of Christians, demeaning themselves peaceably, and as good subjects of the commonwealth, shall be equally under the protection of the law: and no subordination of any one sect or denomination to another shall ever be established by law."
[edit]

Mississippi
No atheists can hold any office in the state of MS
Mississippi State Constitution. No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.[5]
[edit]North Carolina
Unable to hold public office in North Carolina
North Carolina State Constitution, Article VI, Section 8:
Sec. 8. Disqualifications for office. The following persons shall be disqualified for office:
First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.[6]
[edit]

Pennsylvania
Specific protections for religious people
"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."[7]
[edit]

South Carolina
Unable to hold public office in South Carolina
South Carolina State Constitution, Article VI, Section 2: No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.[8]
In 1993, Herb Silverman, a college professor, along with the ACLU brought forward a case of discrimination. Professor Silverman was rejected from being a notary public. It took 4 years for the case to be decided and had to go to the State Supreme Court. In 1997, the South Carolina State Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the law was unconstitutional.[9]
[edit]

Tennessee
Unable to hold public office in Tennessee
The Tennessee Constitution, Article IX, Section 2 No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.[10]
[edit]

Texas
Unable to hold public office in Texas
The Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 4: No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.[11]
Sure, and why don't we just do the same thing to all Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddists, Black people, Latinos, Middle-Easterners, Asians, Homosexuals, Women, and anyone else who isn't a White Christian Man! It's only fair.

Fucking Idiots, as an Athiest/agnostic I find this offensive, and Prejudice

Freedom of Religion bitches

EDIT: Oh yeah, Seperation of Church and State much?
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Last edited by DeltaFunk at Feb 19, 2009,
If I ever meet the guy who came up with this law, I'm setting him on fire.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by illuminatiano
Oh, so if there's a murder and the only witness available is an Atheist, it's alright for him to be shut up and not be brought into court ?

yeah, the day they need help from an atheist, they would probably be fucked. Wait, they're probably so stupid, stubborn, and ignorant that they wont even ask for help from someone that thinks different than they do.
Quote by in2thesun88

They take the stand. I don't think anybody places their hands on Bibles anymore. (I could be wrong though; where's our resident lawyer!?)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

According to the article, it was read into record and then referred to committee. The resolution may never be seen again. It is not law. The headline is misleading as hell. Bloody USN&WR...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by yeoman125
lie

lol I guess thats what they think us non believers will do. I've got news, a lot of Christians have lied under oath...Nixon, Clinton, Larry Craig (the picking up men in the bathroom guy), Bush, etc. etc.
Quote by SteveHouse
According to the article, it was read into record and then referred to committee. The resolution may never be seen again. It is not law. The headline is misleading as hell. Bloody USN&WR...

Good to know, but that doesn't really change the other laws already posted here.

Well, now that I think about that, there's a similar law for the Presidency. it's just unspoken.
I'm a Christian, but I still think that's stupid, and offensive. That's just plain wrong, so what if they don't believe in God? Why should that have ANYTHING to do with politics?
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Feb 19, 2009,
Is anybody surprised by that?
America was founded by people who were disgusted by European non-christian morals...
Page 1 of 5