First: I am a total amp noob, just getting that out of the way.

Alright guys, so as soon as I get a job(end of this month), my first purchase is a new amp. I'll start off by telling you what kind of stuff I'll be playing and what kind of tone I'm looking for. I will be playing mostly electric through it, but I want to be able to play and acoustic too, so I want it to have a real clean, warm tone to it. I'm 100% getting a tube amp, I know that already. With my electric, I'll be playing alot of clean stuff like these two bands, but with some parts with a bit of distortion once in a while:

Explosions in the Sky

http://www.myspace.com/explosionsinthesky

Lydia

http://www.myspace.com/lydia

I will be using pedals/effects like delay and reverb and such too.

Now, for right now it will mostly be used for at home and band practice, but, later this year I think we will start playing shows. Our other guitarist has a crate cab, with a crate tube head, as well as a second bugera head that he doesn't use and I would be able to use. However, that bugera head is for metal, but still produces a clean tone if I want it to. So with that in mind, I had my eyes set on this Peavey 212 Cab shown here:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-212-Speaker-Cabinet-?sku=481021

but I also found this Peavey Classic 30/112 30 watt combo amp that I like

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

I've heard great things about the peavey classic series and they are affordable so that's why I've been leaning towards them. Any tips/suggestions/recomendations? Am I on the right track? Thanks guys!!

Oh and if those choices are awful, feel free to tell me.
the majority of people on here seem to the like the peavey classic 30, I tried one and I thought the cleans sounded horrible and the drive wasn't that great. I haven't tried the bugera, but my advise is to try the amps out yourself.
yeah right now I just really want to get a good idea of what I want to try in the store, so that when I go in, I don't have some salesman trying to upsell me on something that I don't need. Thanks tho!
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Feb 19, 2009,
I don't know about everyone else, but to me, you just can't beat the sound of a Fender clean.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Since you already have the bugera head for distortion, find an amp with good cleans. I would recommend fender amps, best cleans in my opinion. You could get a used twin reverb for a good price. Orange and marshall are famous for their cleans, but can get expensive. Try an epiphone blues custom, it has really good cleans and pretty good distortion In my opinion the best amp in its price range. Going new for about 550. I my opinion, the peavey classic 30 sucks. When I played it, I wasnt impressed by anything. Always try out amps before you buy. Never go strictly off of reviews and demos online.
Well new, its 800-1000, depending on the model. But used, you can find them as low as 600, because its such a popular amp. To me, its sounds like the perfect amp for you. Really good cleans once EQed right
Awesome. After a bit of research I found out that one of the guitarists in the band Explosions in the Sky that I mentioned in the first post actually uses the twin reverb reissue. I will most definitely look into these. I'm sure a local shop has one(at a ridiculous over-priced cost) to try out. Thanks a lot for all your help!

If anyone has more suggestions, I'd love to hear. I want to have a good variety to choose from.
Classic 30 or one of the Fenders. If new, go with the C30 or maybe a Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe from Fender, all have pretty nice cleans. The peavey has a little more gain on tap.

Used, I would definitely look for a Twin. One of the most popular amps out there.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception