I'm a bassist and I've been playing for 6 years. I've gotten all the techniques down for playing fast and I'm trying to move onto playing technical death metal (i.e. Dying Fetus, Nile, Spawn of Possession, etc...) Anyway I just want some pointers or anything to help me write some good technical death metal riffs. Anything will help.

O and if anyone knows any good black metal that I should check out that'd be cool too.
Make sure what you write sounds good. Too many tech. death bands are ridiculously good TECHNICALLY but fail to produce actual music (even from a death metal standpoint).

Anyways...

Odd time signatures will definitely give your licks a tech. death feel.
Quote by DaveyAreAwesome
Make sure what you write sounds good. Too many tech. death bands are ridiculously good TECHNICALLY but fail to produce actual music (even from a death metal standpoint).

Anyways...

Odd time signatures will definitely give your licks a tech. death feel.

yeah man I'm definatly gonna have rhythm to my riffs it wont be that "never hit the same note twice" ****. O i also forgot does anyone know any eastern scales besides the Hungarian scale and Gypsy scale?
my tip is write the bass riffs first and let the guitars work around the basslines
you are what you is
There are so many different approaches to something like this that it's hard to really give pointers. Some people do write only for technicality, and there is a fan base for that, but solid songs that still maintain some technicality are definitely a plus.

Best advice I have is to steal riffs. Seriously. Change 'em up a little bit, but stealing riffs will start to put your head in the right place for writing new ones in the same vein. It's a practice you'll give up pretty soon, rightly so.
Quote by HandsofStone
yeah man I'm definatly gonna have rhythm to my riffs it wont be that "never hit the same note twice" ****. O i also forgot does anyone know any eastern scales besides the Hungarian scale and Gypsy scale?

The Phrygian scale has a nice eastern sound to it.

EDIT:

Phrygian MODE (thanks Carl6661)
Last edited by DimebagRob at Feb 19, 2009,
Lyrics like this tend to help;

I fxcked her skull with a rusted meathooooook,
Breeee breee breeee,
Tore her festering kidneys from her bloody cxnt,
Breeee breee breeee,
Shoved my pulsating dick down her rotted throatttt,
Breeee breee breeee,
After all this, I nailed her crushed skull to a tree,
Breeee breee breeee.

Anyways, yeah. I'm not a fan of the genre, but.

- Check out stuff like the diminished scale, harmonic minor scales, alot of bands use those for writing heavy/technical riffs. (And like the guy above said, the Phrygian MODE (not scale). Is helpful to).
- Tremolo picked riffs are used quite alot, I think, anyways.
- Odd time signatures can help sometimes, and add to the 'technical' side of 'tech' death'.
- Low tunings can really help and make writing heavy music easier, or if you can afford it, a seven (Or even eight... If you wanted really low) string guitar.
- Lots of double kick on the drums, aswell as fast drum fills and blast-beats.

There's probably more aswell, but seeing as I don't really know the genre that well. I only covered what I know.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by neverspoiled

3.Lyrics about breakfast cereal.

SHREDDED WHEEEEEEAAATTT!!!!

^I hope someone gets that....
This would require a huge answer, so being the asshole I am, I'm gonna give you a small one. Moving in minor thirds is very useful for death metal/black metal.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
1. Dime every knob except mids (mids are set to 0)
2. Hit the strings as fast as you can
3. Look "angry" and "scary"
4. ....
5. Profit!
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by AllUrBase
1. Dime every knob except mids (mids are set to 0)
2. Hit the strings as fast as you can
3. Look "angry" and "scary"
4. ....
5. Profit!

Metallica's not death metal...
Quote by neverspoiled
1.Blast speeds.
2.Boring guitar.
3.Lyrics about breakfast cereal.

You mean like:
SHREDDED WHEAT!!!!!
WTC sucks.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
Quote by Carl6661
Lyrics like this tend to help;

I fxcked her skull with a rusted meathooooook,
Breeee breee breeee,
Tore her festering kidneys from her bloody cxnt,
Breeee breee breeee,
Shoved my pulsating dick down her rotted throatttt,
Breeee breee breeee,
After all this, I nailed her crushed skull to a tree,
Breeee breee breeee.

I think your confusing death metal with deathcore. I haven't heard any "breee's" in death metal.