This summer I want to build a guitar, by then I'll have money to buy the wood I need ( Korina for the body) but for the meantime I have access to like 2 acres of Alder trees, thyat me and my stepdad are cutting downfor firewood, and I can take some of the wood and plane some down, and try bulding some bodies and necks, and get used to using the tools I need. But how would an Alder neck sound?
I'm FAT!
dont know if its strong enough for a neck, but you're going to have to dry it out. i know you need to wax dip the end grains, and either kiln(oven) dry it or leave it in a dry place for a looong time to get it dry and not warped.
chris024 is right about Alder most likely not being stiff/strong enough for a neck. If you could manage one, I'd imagine it would sound a bit brighter than maple.

That would be interesting.... an Alder neck on a Korina body...
not. a. chance.
If there are some reasonably sized trees, you could get wood for a body.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
How much korina can you get? You can use that for necks

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well, you could /try/. But theres an 89-100 percent chance that it would warp/break. Then all your hard work would go down the drain. And who wants that?
Also, it takes about a year (if I remember correctly) to dry wood IN A KILN. by air drying, you would probably be adding another eight months. And something tells me that you don't want to wait that long.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
So, theres like no way that it would. And the woods been drying for about 8 months under a tarp. I just want to experiment with the alder, I'll probably buy some Maple and use that for the necks.
I'm FAT!
go stick it in a kiln at a lumberyard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Alder for a neck?

No ****ing way. Also, LP will have your ass for even asking the question.

The Allan Holdsworth Carvin used to come with an Alder neck, actually. Probably heartwood that was reinforced with graphite like crazy or something.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores