Page 1 of 2
ya i am hoping it will sound good. I am still trying to think of what pickups to put on it. Any suggestions for a more rock n roll sound. Don't say EMG's cause i don't like em.
also what kind of neck do you think would go good with this? Can't make a neck with the checkerboard pattern so I was thinking maple with ebony fretboard? but any suggestions on that or anything else that you might be good. Need some thought on what to do with this!!
Do this: If you can get the same wood as the body for fretboard would be best, but if not use something else that is light-colored. Then instead of checkering the fretboard, make it so that each other "square" in between the frets is dark.

Edit: That is a beautiful body wood!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Do this: If you can get the same wood as the body for fretboard would be best, but if not use something else that is light-colored. Then instead of checkering the fretboard, make it so that each other "square" in between the frets is dark.

Edit: That is a beautiful body wood!

Do you mean make each inlay square light then dark? or the fretboard wood between the frets?
Also i haven't seen any necks made of cherry or walnut so i am still stuck there.
ive seen it done, the last one i saw was a jem/rg style with 1 1/2"X 1 1/2" blocks.

its pretty sweet if you ask me.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Could you send me the link of the guitar?
Would really like to see it for some ideas.
Wow, this is making my blood boil with excitement 0.0 I WAN' >w<

Keep going mate!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I was wondering when somebody was going to do this! Its bad ass!
not to be Buzz Killington but i was always under the impression that glue dosnt resonate sound well and that body is quite a bit of glue i would presume. ill hold my judgements untill theres some sounds clips. looks bad ass tho
Quote by juiceomatic
not to be Buzz Killington but i was always under the impression that glue dosnt resonate sound well and that body is quite a bit of glue i would presume. ill hold my judgements untill theres some sounds clips. looks bad ass tho

Well with all the pressure and clamps we had on that thing there will be virtually no glue left in the seams.
holy jesus, thats gorgeous! I can't believe you took the time to do that. I hope all your effort pays off.
are u goin stain it, or color stain it or wut?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Truth_05
Could you send me the link of the guitar?
Would really like to see it for some ideas.

will do, i gotta remember the site.

all i remember was it was on an ad at "thejemsite"
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Clutch32192
are u goin stain it, or color stain it or wut?

We're going to stain it a medium brown color to darken the cherry and then put a little red in it to give it some warmth. Probably gold hardware i am thinking.
Quote by Truth_05
We're going to stain it a medium brown color to darken the cherry and then put a little red in it to give it some warmth. Probably gold hardware i am thinking.

...nice, how long till u paint?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Truth_05
also what kind of neck do you think would go good with this? Can't make a neck with the checkerboard pattern so I was thinking maple with ebony fretboard? but any suggestions on that or anything else that you might be good. Need some thought on what to do with this!!

maybe a 5 piece neck? walnut w/ cherry stripes down the back? dunno how the cherry would be but i know there are walnut necks.
Quote by Clutch32192
...nice, how long till u paint?

don't know i have to rout out the pickups and hardware first. I will post pics of the routing as i get going.

Also anyone know any really good guides to buillding necks? On my last guitar i just bought a warmoth neck for convenience and i might attempt to build one this time. I have a long piece of ziricote for the fretboard. I will post a pic of it soon.
I'm just going to throw this out there: Chess piece inlays
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157

thats a pretty damn cool idea. i bet it'd look awesome too. each fret marker as a different piece.
Quote by Fuzzycows5157

That would be cool but i have never done an inlay before so I don't want to screw my fretboard up. Maybe i could take it somewhere and have it done, but that costs a ton of moolah so that also sucks.

Edit: just thought of adding on to the chess piece idea. Place different pieces from the 3rd fret to the 12th going every odd then 12 like normal. But after that put CTG for the company name i made up in big letters under the higher frets where is would be too hard to get small chess pieces in. Just my idea...
Last edited by Truth_05 at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by juiceomatic

As an acoustic guy, those are exactly my thoughts. That, and this must have been a pain to piece together. When made like this, though, it's like a high-quality laminate. It'll sound just fine
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
As an acoustic guy, those are exactly my thoughts. That, and this must have been a pain to piece together. When made like this, though, it's like a high-quality laminate. It'll sound just fine

Thats what i'm hopin.

Well i am gonna try to figure some crap out with this and get some final shaping done on the edges and then i am going to start drawing out the routing plans so i will keep pics up.
Quote by conor1148
ive seen it done, the last one i saw was a jem/rg style with 1 1/2"X 1 1/2" blocks.

its pretty sweet if you ask me.

Yeah, Ibanez released the Prestige Puzzle Tops with Flamed Maple and Quilted Maple pieces. They look way better than this, with actual jigsaw pieces rather than just squares IMO.
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, Ibanez released the Prestige Puzzle Tops with Flamed Maple and Quilted Maple pieces. They look way better than this, with actual jigsaw pieces rather than just squares IMO.

Well any home guitar builder would not want to try that because most builders don't have the tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment to be able to do that. So that sounds cool but i still love my squares. Simple is good in this case.
You really only need a bandsaw to do it though. Its just a top, not the whole body either. It has much less effect on the tone that way.
Anyone here ever tried Lace Alumitones? They look pretty cool but i don't know if they are worth getting and trying or not?
I've wanted an Alumitone for my SG for a while now. Just never gotten around to it. Based on sound clips they're killer...
I hope it all works out OK. I worry that so many little pieces of wood might kill some natural sustain..
Quote by inkandlead
I've wanted an Alumitone for my SG for a while now. Just never gotten around to it. Based on sound clips they're killer...
I hope it all works out OK. I worry that so many little pieces of wood might kill some natural sustain..

ya thats what i'm hopin. Can't start to work on it until we find a good deal on some gold alumitones cause i've decided that thats what i am getting and a bigsby b5.
Quote by Invader Jim
Holy son of a bitch that is nice.

If you only knew how much that means coming from you. (tear)
Page 1 of 2