To soloing. Let me explain.

In a couple of weeks, the school will be putting on the fourth jam session it's done this year. Now, it's not a normal jam - it is in front of a crowd, which ups the stakes slightly.

Improvisation is my strong point, but until now, I have only really played power-chords along to the bassist (who is insanely good), and last time, I played a brief (less than 20s).

I would really like to show my talents a bit more, because that's my main contact with local musicians (potential bandmembers) and, I hate to say, because there are a lot of girls in the crowd, who have groupie tendencies ( they scream when some of the others go on-stage ). I would like a bit of that love, cos I need some help with the ladies

Anyway - the priority is keeping a good reputation with the other musicians, so what is the limit to a solo - I don't want to be known as "the guy who wanks on for half an hour" but I want to show off a bit.
That depends on the audience and, most importantly, how good you are. The question you need to be asking yourself is: How long will my improvisation entertain people? Your solo should be exactly that long.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Meh, I say if you have the skills, then there's nothing wrong with showing off.
I know everybody will probably disagree, but whatev.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Archeo Avis
That depends on the audience and, most importantly, how good you are. The question you need to be asking yourself is: How long will my improvisation entertain people? Your solo should be exactly that long.

truer words have never been spoken crusader.
if your quite good start slow and keep a good melody then get more into it, throw in some fancy **** and then end it.
Know your limitations, and be careful that what you're playing fits the music, there's nothing worse than a solo that adds absolutely nothing to the song.
"Be as radical as reality."
- V.I. Lenin
go until people stop making happy noises and start throwing things
~Defiant~
Dynamics are essential. As people have said already, start off simpler and more melodic, then build up in complexity and/or volume or intensity. Repeat if necessary.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
if you're good, then you got every right to show off. know the chords you'll be jamming over and get a general idea of how yuo want ot go about doing it, and come up with a couple killer licks you know you want to play. Its also important to not get too repetitive and/or boring too. Just practice until your confident.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Thats a good time to start throwing stuff back.

Fixed.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

+ 3.14159
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It would be a big mistake to go on for 30 seconds for that audience, but that's plenty of time to play a good solo.

well it depends on what the other players are doing. if everybody else is only soloing for like 15 seconds and then you wank for 30 it'd make you look bad.

unless you're really good.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you wank for one second you'll look bad.

well of course, I'm just saying it kinda depends on what everyone else is doing
I didn't notice the comment about "the ladies." I assure you, flashy solos are not the way to attract high school girls with your guitar. That's something you do after she already likes you. It won't necessarily turn girls off, but you need to play music they like, not sweep pick diminished arpeggios in 16th notes at 180bpm in 5/4 time, with a phaser (someone add to my list of shred wankery).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I didn't notice the comment about "the ladies." I assure you, flashy solos are not the way to attract high school girls with your guitar. That's something you do after she already likes you. It won't necessarily turn girls off, but you need to play music they like, not sweep pick diminished arpeggios in 16th notes at 180bpm in 5/4 time, with a phaser (someone add to my list of shred wankery).

while adding a pinch harmonic to every third note, tremolo picking chromatic runs, repeating a triplet pull-off lick while moving it up the neck, and ending by picking your guitar up by the whammy bar and shaking it furiously

how's that?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Feb 19, 2009,
If I was a girl, I would much rather see someone "wank" ( ) like that on guitar than play some wussy-ass Jack Johnson bull****.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
If only you were a girl... :P

I don't plan to play any super technical stuff (I can't) - most likely some plain blues-rock stuff :P
Quote by Sleaze Disease
If I was a girl, I would much rather see someone "wank" ( ) like that on guitar than play some wussy-ass Jack Johnson bull****.
If you were a girl representative of the demographic he is targeting, you would like that "wussy-ass Jack Johnson bullshit."

But what would I know about teenage girls?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you were a girl representative of the demographic he is targeting, you would like that "wussy-ass Jack Johnson bullshit."

But what would I know about teenage girls?

No, I wouldn't.
I would have the same mentality that I do now, and would much rather see someone being awesome at something, and not just playing wuss music to try and get into my pants.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Good thing he's not trying to get into your pants (I assume).

TS:

1) If your solo is good, the audience won't care if it lasts twenty minutes.

2) Solo for as long as the other soloists solo, just to stay in thier good graces. Another thing jammers like is call and response. Play a phrase from someone else solo, this may seem like stealing, but anyone who is experienced will just appreciate it.

3) "wussy" stuff is what 90% of the girls I woo like, and theres nothing wrong with that. Some guys wear what they think girls will like, some guys play sissy music, it's all good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Last edited by The_Sophist at Feb 20, 2009,
Men aren't supposed to know this, but at the annual Woman Convention, we place bets on what the most humiliating thing a guy will do to try to score.

Mr. Sleaze Disease, please read the post of mine you quoted to see why you would like Jack Johnson. Read it until you get it because it is there.