Here's my info and what I've heard:

I run a hi-gain setup, using a boss FZ-5 and boss OS-2 running at the same time at different levels. Here's what I run each at:

Boss FZ-5:
Level: 11 o clock
Fuzz (Drive): 3 o clock

Boss OS-2:
Drive: 0
Tone: 1 o clock
Level: 3 o clock

This sounds great for soloing (single notes and maybe some double stops) but it is simply wayyy too treble-y for even powerchords. I run a Fender Hot Rod Deville and through the clean channel I turn this up and Here's what it's settings are at:

Hot Rod DeVille 4x10:
Drive: 4
Treble: 3
Bass: 3
Mids: 6
Prescence: 8

I get a great lead tone out of this but the pedals themselves add a lot of treble and It's not worth trying to find different settings on the OS-2 and FZ-5 to remove treble as this sounds ideal besidfes the treble.

So my question: Would an EQ pedal actually remove treble from the pedals? Please explain what an EQ pedal does exactly, why it's going to or not going to work, and if there is an alternative if an EQ pedal will not fix this.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Bump, sorry for this but 0 views and I'm at the bottom of the page -- it's not like I didn't give enough info for you guys to give me an accurate answer.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
EQ pedals can do whatever you want them to do. You can cut frequencies, you can boost frequencies, and that's about the basic thing that and EQ will do.

Long story short, yes, you can cut your treble with it, but you can do so much more with your sound. I've got an MXR 10-band EQ as well as a 31-band EQ (some would say it's overkill, but meh). You can get quite an array of tones and really open your amp up. Give it a shot!
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
EQ pedals can do whatever you want them to do. You can cut frequencies, you can boost frequencies, and that's about the basic thing that and EQ will do.

Long story short, yes, you can cut your treble with it, but you can do so much more with your sound. I've got an MXR 10-band EQ as well as a 31-band EQ (some would say it's overkill, but meh). You can get quite an array of tones and really open your amp up. Give it a shot!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-DJ14-Fish-and-Chips-7-Band-EQ-Pedal-151873-i1124602.gc

Would this work for just simply cutting treble? Other ideas sound fancy and fun but just this simple task of cutting treble is my priority and the least amount of cash for whatever can get it done well is my best bet.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
Yeah, the fish and chips should help. You'd want to lower the highest band, ideally, as the others are your mids, for the most part.

It might not give you the drastic change you're looking for, as the treble range is usually from 6k to 20k, so you'll get some change, but mostly in your mids area. If you've got a good return policy, try it out.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Try turning down the guitar's volume, that will produce some clipping.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
before you try to buy any sort of external EQ, see what you can do with the settings on your amp.

pull back the treble, add more mid and bass and see what happens.

what guitar? some guitars sound more trebly or cutty than other guitars and that may be cotnributing
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Does the MXR suck any tone or something? I ask because I saw the new EHX Graphic Fuzz and it states true bypass and I know the meaning of that, so I'm wondering. The EHX is 6band EQ and its like $30 more over the MXR10EQ.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I believe the reason the EHX Graphic Fuzz is more expensive than the MXR 10-band EQ, is because the EHX incorporates fuzz as well as an EQ. The MXR is just an EQ.

I think that's really the difference. I haven't noticed any tone sucking with the MXR at all. I've compared it to my amp at a level EQ setting and nothing seemed different with it on, off or even out of the chain.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
I'd go for it then, since having fuzz distortion sure seems nice. Thanks for the reply mate.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
To those asking about me fooling around with EQ on the original amplifier: I've been fooling around for a while now, and it's not helping much. I've been fooling around for 2 days and whenever I'm playing I'm always tweaking; its probably been about 10 hours of fooling around. Thanks to that I've found a great EQ that cleans up everything but the treble, and that's simply because the pedals are very trebly. I checked by running my friend's Fender Strat through the same amp and it doesn't stop it from being trebly, so obviously it's not the guitar. I've also run it through a different amp, it's not the amp.

I'd prefer to have my volume at around 7-8, that's where I have an ideal sound. lower volumes sound too loose and poor to me, and higher then that makes the tone too overpolished.

Quote by WinterSteel
Yeah, the fish and chips should help. You'd want to lower the highest band, ideally, as the others are your mids, for the most part.

It might not give you the drastic change you're looking for, as the treble range is usually from 6k to 20k, so you'll get some change, but mostly in your mids area. If you've got a good return policy, try it out.

I just called up a Guitar Center and asked about it, they carried the fish n chips but also carried a $100 EQ pedal and a $120 EQ pedal from boss or something and said that the fish n chips won't sound as good as either. Is this him trying to make some money or is he actually being genuine?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
Probably them trying to make money, but I can't say for certain. Your ears are the ones that'll tell you what you really need. I see a number of people swear by the fish n chips, and I've seen some swear by the boss pedals, etc.

Just go and try them out and see which one you prefer. I didn't like the boss one, myself, and I wanted the tonal control that the 10-band offered me (although I quickly went to the 31, so that kinda shows...).
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Quote by WinterSteel
Probably them trying to make money, but I can't say for certain. Your ears are the ones that'll tell you what you really need. I see a number of people swear by the fish n chips, and I've seen some swear by the boss pedals, etc.

Just go and try them out and see which one you prefer. I didn't like the boss one, myself, and I wanted the tonal control that the 10-band offered me (although I quickly went to the 31, so that kinda shows...).

Sucks, none of the stores anywhere near me actually carry the fish n chips. What's the next cheapest one you would swear by? Not the Boss one apparentally?

Of course I'll be heading to GC tommorow to play them but it's nice to get an idea of what I should expect from each.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
Quote by Brian 1.0
Sucks, none of the stores anywhere near me actually carry the fish n chips. What's the next cheapest one you would swear by? Not the Boss one apparentally?

Of course I'll be heading to GC tommorow to play them but it's nice to get an idea of what I should expect from each.

I think the next cheapest one is probably the MXR which isn't all that cheap...
Quote by Pac_man0123
I think the next cheapest one is probably the MXR which isn't all that cheap...

I guess I could blow some extra cash, if it gets the job done, because I need to use it for studio recording on Sunday anyway.

I'll post what I got tommorow and how it is.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc