Just out of curiosity (I'm a while off getting a new bass) would it be difficult to put a tone onto the Mark Hoppus sig or is it possible to replace the volume pot with a tone pot instead?
No, infact you could get a stacked tone, volumke knob for it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I would get a stacked volume/tone pot.

And if you are semi-competent with a soldering gun its should take 10 minutes.
Quote by Captain Insano
I would get a stacked volume/tone pot.

And if you are semi-competent with a soldering gun its should take 10 minutes.

I wouldn't use a soldering gun near anything with pickups unless I wanted to erase the magnets.

Now an iron...
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
^ What?

How is an iron different from a gun? They both make heat the same way...I've used one on a guitar several times.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 20, 2009,
With any luck I won't need to know anything about soldering as I'll get someone else to do it for me as I'm a cack handed cripple (as my mother would put it.)
guns tend to be pushing 100 watts so they can burn the electronics, it won't have an effect on the pickups unless you are just holding the gun on them. an iron runs at a much more pot friendly 30 watts normally
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'm actually thinking of this idea....how much would a stacked knob cost, and have someone install it for me?
"stacked knob" would be known as a concentric pot, just have a look around some sites to find the lowest price.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
K....but how much would it cost (estimate) fairly for someone to install it for me? (the last time I tried soldering electronics, I burnt myself).
they'll probably overcharge you so anywhere between $20-$40 would be my guess.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
or u could get a fender p bass, get sp3 quarter pounder pickups and a pealoid pickguard and have ur tone knob and pretty much the same bass(except for the body) for a little cheaper, which is what I did, unless u just really like the color or signature of mark hoppus' bass
Quote by kjkamo
or u could get a fender p bass, get sp3 quarter pounder pickups and a pealoid pickguard and have ur tone knob and pretty much the same bass(except for the body) for a little cheaper, which is what I did, unless u just really like the color or signature of mark hoppus' bass

Mostly the color. And the string through bridge.
Quote by kjkamo

or the body shape/pickup combo. I mean, how else do you get a p-bass neck and pickup on a jazz bass body?

In anycase, I'd just drill a hole in the pickguard and install a normal tone pot, concentric pots get pricey, fast. The only issue I can for see is that you're modding the bass fairly permanently and it could hurt the resale value.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Get a stacked knob. Much simpler.

Also, does anyone know if it's actually possible to get the pink version of his bass? On the fender site, it's only got the blue, green and black ones..
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
no fender only made the pink version for Mark
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
no fender only made the pink version for Mark

Aww shame, i like that one.

I wonder if I can spray one that colour..
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
If your going to install a tone pot... just get a standard Precision. I believe its called common sense.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
^ To the purely practical mind you would be justified. However most of the people here will observe a large aesthetic difference between a Precision and a Jazz...
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
&& the hopus bass fails to be either (me having both P & J bassses). i saved up for one, went to try one out, and was extremely dissapointed. Your VM Fretless Jazz is better than the hoppus IMO.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals