strings off + truss rod tension doesn't = broken neck. if the strings are off for longer then like a week all you'd need to do is just re set the guitar up after stringing it back up.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
strings off + truss rod tension doesn't = broken neck. if the strings are off for longer then like a week all you'd need to do is just re set the guitar up after stringing it back up.

Really? Someone told me it would break the neck.
Quote by sglover34479
but if it is just a week or so for painting a guitar, it'll be okay?

probably if the neck is a bit bent at the end you can straighten it by adjusting the truss rod.
Quote by sglover34479
Really? Someone told me it would break the neck.

They don't know what they're talking about. If you leave the strings off for a long period of time without adjusting the truss rod so it isn't putting any pressure on the neck then it very well may warp the neck, but it will not break it, and it certainly won't break warp the neck just from having the strings off for a few days.
Quote by david_highland
They don't know what they're talking about. If you leave the strings off for a long period of time without adjusting the truss rod so it isn't putting any pressure on the neck then it very well may warp the neck, but it will not break it, and it certainly won't break warp the neck just from having the strings off for a few days.

okay, cool.
Quote by sglover34479
but if it is just a week or so for painting a guitar, it'll be okay?

yea you might have to make a little adjustment on the truss rod by theres no damage done to it
i painted the guitar in my profile picture, and i let it dry for like 2 months to let the paint cure and set. You should remove all the electronics and stuff from the body, remove the neck, so ur left with the body. sand it down, and paint it. i used duplicolor automotive paint to paint mine ($5 per can) and it turned out great. theres a lot of websites about painting. i found one called something like frankenstraat.com that will tell you everything you need to know in the forums to paint ur guitar the way u want it