Well long story short, the fender I was going to use is in California with my Uncle, with his band. He normally lets me use that guitar for what I do, because his bands not too active that much anymore. And since ive invested my money in other equipment like an amp, i'm screwed at the moment, because right now im stuck With a ibanez GAX that i don't even play on that much. So basically i need some pickups that give off a good classic rock tone, maybe a fender-ish tone. or just any pickups that don't suck so hard, so please help?

Btw everyone i don't have time to save up for a guitar at the moment. I'm playing in like 2 weeks D: otherwise i wouldnt care, and id continue to save for a HSS strat. So XD
Last edited by mudrock1000 at Feb 19, 2009,
Save up and trade your ibanez for a fender. I'd reccomend sd's or bare knuckle's lower output pickups if you want a classic rock sound.
yeah just get a different guitar
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why even worry? If the guitar's playable, and you've only got to weeks until a gig, forgeddaboutit. Just have fun and play.

Because the pickups suck on it. They are just terrible.
Quote by mudrock1000
Because the pickups suck on it. They are just terrible.

If you are set on new pickups i'd also recommend looking at Jason lollar's range, i've heard good things. Getting a Fenderish tone out of this guitar would be a challenge though due to the fact it has a mahogany body and a maple neck.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I highly doubt that they're that bad. You probably just like single coils as opposed to humbuckers.

What's your amp, anyway?

Normally I use a line 6 Flex III. I just love it for some reason.
I know im going to get its the amp, but its not because the Fender Strat sounded just fine.
^^Lollar's aren't worth it on this guitar...For that price, he should just pick up a used MIM Strat.

Quote by mudrock1000
Normally I use a line 6 Flex III. I just love it for some reason.
I know im going to get its the amp, but its not because the Fender Strat sounded just fine.

Flextone III's are actually nice. I like their modeling.
Honestly, I just think you like the sound of single coils.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^^Lollar's aren't worth it on this guitar...For that price, he should just pick up a used MIM Strat.

Couldn't have put it better. I don't think its worth the money modding this guitar, put it towards an mim fender or mabye even a lite ash.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Flextone III's are actually nice. I like their modeling.
Honestly, I just think you like the sound of single coils.

Yes I do :3
but at the moment i don't have 700 to spend on a MIA HSS strat ( im talking used price XD) So id prefer to have some good quality pickups thatll get me through with a clean tone. A nice single coil replica sound is just a plus tho XD
Quote by mudrock1000
but at the moment i don't have 700 to spend on a MIA HSS strat ( im talking used price XD) So id prefer to have some good quality pickups thatll get me through with a clean tone. A nice single coil replica sound is just a plus tho XD

buy an mim or an mij then, they aren't as bad as people say they are. I had an mim strat for two years and loved it, i only sold it because i wanted a tele and i dont use it as much as my sg.
I had an Ibanez GAX for some years, it's still the worst guitar I've ever owned (including a $50 Chinese no name guitar).

Seriously dude, you could put Bare Knuckles in that thing and it still would sound or feel good.

Just sell it and get any Fender you can get. Hell, a Squier would be better than that POS.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by mudrock1000

Just aim for an MIM Strat. I've played some really great ones, and you can find them around 300 or less.
screw that why waste 300 bucks or so for a new guitar that your just ganna used for a limited amount of time.

if your looking for a strat style ive seen this at a pawn shop, and also on ebay for hella cheap.

peavey patriot.

peavey predator.

peavey T-15,25,30.

they all go for 250 or cheaper some more expensive.
and did i forget to say all MADE IN THE USA.

I played a predator trough and old crate VC amp and tought it was a steal for 100 bucks definately better than current production MIM's.

look at this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Peavey-T-15-RARE-COLOR-NEAR-MINT-w-OHSC-T15_W0QQitemZ330308526385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item330308526385&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Patriot-orig-case-USA-2-Super-Ferrite-pickups_W0QQitemZ170290846717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item170290846717&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

If your looking for good MIM's for cheap lets 400 or less dont buy one from this decade.

90's ones are pretty damn good if you ask me but still a pretty penny.

baisicly im saying use the money your ganna use on the pups and just put it towards a peavey predator MIA or patriot MIA.

theres some that go under 200 especially the predators.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Feb 19, 2009,
well a few things.
1) yes i know its crap. I told you i don't play on it anymore. I either use my uncles, because he hardly uses it anymore, or one of my acoustics.
2) I may get a MIM HSS...but im not sure XD
like i said if your looking for a strat style guitar definately look into those old peaveys from the 80's and 90's.

just saying