and i have no idea why. its a fixed bridge too, so its not like im pullin on a whammy bar or anything. i have no guesses as to why, unless changing tunings often breaks strings? does that affect it at all? because i was playing with some tracks off a cd so i did go up and down from d to e to e flat alot. aside form that i wasnt doing anything that should be breaking strings like crazy. and these were not old strings. any ideas?
Did they all break at the same point? Where did they break? What strings?
define 'old' and how much you play a day. What strings broke? (please don't tell me all low Es)
if your using lighter gauge strings that can make them easier to break, and please tell me your not using a metal pick or something
is it the same string? maybe a problem with the saddle, or old strings, bad set, etc
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
the strings were probably two weeks old. i use a medium pick. i play three to four hours a day. it was the low e, the a, the b and the high e. the broke at the bridge but didnt snap. they just like, unravelled....if that makes sense to you guys. i mean like they wernt in two pieces, but they were like thinner at one part...if that makes sense to you. the were 9s and they all broke at a differnrt time.
Quote by blandguitar
let them sit and stretch for a couple hours, then tune 'em like 4 times. that's what i do when i hook up new strings, haven't broken one yet.

this is ridiculous, I break strings, replace them right away and keep playing

are they all breaking at the bridge, nut, or certain fret?

if they are, try lubing the nut or saddles with pencil lead... just basically color it and get the graphite where the strings come in contact. another thing to check out would be for barbs on the saddles. If it's a LP style bridge, you can try stringing it back through the tailpiece, then up and over it to soften the angle of the strings.

are you playing chords, picking riffs, bends?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
You broke the low e? O.o
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Oh okay I see the problem.

3-4 hours a day on really light guage strings will kill 'em quick no matter what style. Blues musicians will bend them to death, metal ones will pick em to death.
They unravelled? You got some bad strings man.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
you may be playing incorrectly. i know when i first started i used to break G-strings (no pun intended) a lot because i was playing way too hard and hitting too much of the string with the pick. if you don't think that is the problem then i would just have it checked out

i have noticed though that when i change tunings on my acoustic i have more of a tendency to unravel the the string rather than break it. but i'm going from standard maybe all the way down to Open C
incubus rocks my world
now i have a new question: i dont have a replacement a string and im home alone (im 15) can i just throw a d or a low e im place of it and just tune that string to A?
The most logical thing to me, is that you are picking too hard. It also can't help that they were such thin strings, but still... snapping the low e... the only time I ever did that is when I was really new at the guitar, and I tried picking with a quarter...

Edit: You want to tune a low E to A... while you are having problems breaking strings....

C'mon man, use the old noggin here.
Last edited by Dragonblood21 at Feb 19, 2009,
If anything tune the D string down to an A as your strings are used to being downtuned.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
ernie balls? bad strings.

yeah you used them, they were getting worn, and yes, you probably have sharp saddles and rubbing them with pencil will help a little.

but i stopped using EBs cause they break.

also, use the right gauge or you'll end up in the setup thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
ernie balls? bad strings.

yeah you used them, they were getting worn, and yes, you probably have sharp saddles and rubbing them with pencil will help a little.

but i stopped using EBs cause they break.

also, use the right gauge or you'll end up in the setup thread.

I replaced my .09-.42 hybrid slinkies with DRs before any of them broke. Honestly i don't like DR as much either.
plus i couldnt get if the ts had bad strings from the same pack? many packs.

packs all bought together might just be bad.
but he should check for saddle burrs anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011