I searched and there are no topics in relevance to this and this isn't about religion.

The subject of life after death puzzles everybody and is a DEEP subject but honestly if you think about it why is it so freaking hard to prove or disprove?? I mean if you dedicated your life to hunting the supernatural you would think you would either have concrete evidence it does exist or come to the conclusion it doesn't exist.

Modern day and past "genius's" that can use a higher percentage of their brains did/do they believe in life after death?

Another interesting concept:

Can the human brain get old enough to die? Like an old person dies b/c of heart failure, kidney failure, etc. but I've never heard of "brain failure" without there being damage perviously done to the brain. Ok now on to my point, say 50 years from now they have the technology to perform a brain transplant and also clone humans. Say by the time you reach 60 you can have yourself cloned for X amount of money then by the time you're old enough for your health to fail you have your brain transplanted into your much younger clone. Weird to think about but it's really not that far out there. You'd basically be immortal unless your brain was destroyed. Possible?
It... Might... Work...

But then there's the question of whether or not it is ethical to kill the new clone
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
A) Your brain is the most powerful thing that you own. If you think something is real, i.e. ghosts and the like, your brain WILL make it as such. (Like God...)

B) No, the brain doesn't age in the same way that the rest of our bodies do...otherwise it would be dead long before we ever reached 50. (We're born with an insane amount of brain cells that immediately begin dying...)

-TFA
Quote by linksys24
[Long-ass, thought-out post]

Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
No, and no.

While no one has ever died of "brain failure," have you ever met a really old person who's in great health but completely fucking bonkers?

Your mind goes out when you get old too, make no mistake.
Well obviously you thought about this a lot. Maybe you should go figure out how to accomplish all these things. haha.
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
No, and no.

Now that was worth posting

You kinda sorta in a way wouldn't be killing the clone though b/c the only body getting buried would be the old mans. That and you paid good money for that ****
Well if everyone who believed in life after death had concrete evidence the world would be a different place for one. But they don't. It's called faith.

Secondly... what??? There are so many old people I know/have known that lost all their wits as they got older. The human brain is definitely affected by aging.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
If we are going to be that unreasonable why not just transfer your memories into the new clones brain after wiping it clean?
Quote by Echoplex
didn't read the first post, but i'm gonna go ahead and say no

You didn't wanna waste your time reading three words?
Hey, let's be friends.

Check my band Fear Elise and like our page!

http://tinyurl.com/46xyyv5

My Gear:

Ampeg 410HE
Ampeg B2RE
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive Pedal
EHX Enigma Envelope Filter
Epiphone Thunderbird
Music Man Stingray 4
Quote by TyrsFromAbove37
A) Your brain is the most powerful thing that you own. If you think something is real, i.e. ghosts and the like, your brain WILL make it as such. (Like God...)

B) No, the brain doesn't age in the same way that the rest of our bodies do...otherwise it would be dead long before we ever reached 50. (We're born with an insane amount of brain cells that immediately begin dying...)

-TFA

I believe in ghosts, I've went to haunted places before to see if I "experienced" anything and the only thing i caught was a cold. My brain isn't going to "make" me experience anything just b/c I believe it. If that was the case I'd be experiencing sexy time with jessica biel everynight b/c i believe she's real ha!
Quote by MetalManiac_86
Well if everyone who believed in life after death had concrete evidence the world would be a different place for one. But they don't. It's called faith.

Secondly... what??? There are so many old people I know/have known that lost all their wits as they got older. The human brain is definitely affected by aging.

But is that due to their brain getting old or their aging body affecting the brain? Would the brain go back to new again if it was transferred into a fresh healthy body?
Quote by linksys24
But is that due to their brain getting old or their aging body affecting the brain? Would the brain go back to new again if it was transferred into a fresh healthy body?

If you believed that a person's character is their brain, then why would you believe in ghosts.
Quote by witchfinder
If you believed that a person's character is their brain, then why would you believe in ghosts.

Bc your brain is energy and energy can't be destroyed so after your body dies where does that energy go?
Quote by linksys24
Bc your brain is energy and energy can't be destroyed so after your body dies where does that energy go?

Your brain is not energy. Its a solid. The energy is what makes the connections that form thought and such. This energy is no kind of soul, or ghost. Its electrical.
Quote by linksys24

Into the earth as you decompose?
Quote by linksys24
why is it so freaking hard to prove or disprove??

Because it's whole existence is based on things we can't prove.
Quote by witchfinder
Into the earth as you decompose?

Possibly, it just baffles me though that with all the knowledge and technology that we have this day and age why this topic can't be proved or disproved.
Quote by linksys24

You....****ing....Fail

So hard

Dear God you're an idiot.

The brain is a solid mass. It was never and will never be "energy" unless you feel like getting all smart and bring that whole E(energy) = M(mass)C(speed of light constant)^2 equation into play. And since you fail at wrapping your head around science already I doubt you can wrap your head around that. Not that there's much wrapping you have to do.
Quote by linksys24
Possibly, it just baffles me though that with all the knowledge and technology that we have this day and age why this topic can't be proved or disproved.

It can't be proved either way because so far no one has woken up in a coffin and told the world what happened when they stepped toward the light.

Once the body dies (Like, really die, none of that partial heart failure stuff) there is no way to bring it back, so I doubt you'll get any sort of proof soon, if ever.
Well we're gonna live through some big breakthroughs in science in our lifetime I think. We're probably pretty lucky... or maybe we're doomed haha. Who knows. If/when they start making sense of information they uncover with experiments like the Large Hadron Collider its bound to be some interesting stuff
Quote by MetalManiac_86
Well we're gonna live through some big breakthroughs in science in our lifetime I think. We're probably pretty lucky... or maybe we're doomed haha. Who knows. If/when they start making sense of information they uncover with experiments like the Large Hadron Collider its bound to be some interesting stuff

The LHG is not for discovering life after death. It's for figuring out what happened and what was created milliseconds after the big bang.

I doubt it will have any application in the field of FAITH.

Now our brains to degenerate, a lot, brain diseases are a separate thing I.E. Alzheimer's is because a brain starts clipping neurons that it deems useless, a process that is supposed to stop at 25 can start back in again.
Quote by evilgerbil666
You....****ing....Fail

So hard

Dear God you're an idiot.

The brain is a solid mass. It was never and will never be "energy" unless you feel like getting all smart and bring that whole E(energy) = M(mass)C(speed of light constant)^2 equation into play. And since you fail at wrapping your head around science already I doubt you can wrap your head around that. Not that there's much wrapping you have to do.

Charming young stud aren't you? I'll bet you're a real hit with the ladies.

I didn't mean your actual solid brain in a literal sense of the word, douche bag. There is energy in your brain and body.
Quote by linksys24
Charming young stud aren't you? I'll bet you're a real hit with the ladies.

I didn't mean your actual solid brain in a literal sense of the word, douche bag. There is energy in your brain and body.

I am, so thanks :-)

Be more clear next time, the way you said it makes you sound...special...
And yes, the energy we have is not destroyed, it leaves us via heat and muscle movement. When we die it leaves via heat, which is how we can tell how long a person has been dead.
Quote by evilgerbil666
The LHG is not for discovering life after death. It's for figuring out what happened and what was created milliseconds after the big bang.

I doubt it will have any application in the field of FAITH.

Now our brains to degenerate, a lot, brain diseases are a separate thing I.E. Alzheimer's is because a brain starts clipping neurons that it deems useless, a process that is supposed to stop at 25 can start back in again.

Yeah, I mean the construction of the universe in general. I guess i got a little off topic.
I am not a religious person and I gave my 2 cents on the brain. It is most definitely susceptible to time. Everything is. (though the condition of the brain is not necessarily always respective to that of the body).
The life and death thing will probably never be clear.. and there will always be conflicting theories.

But enough of this hippy crap for me, I'm gonna go live a little
Quote by linksys24

Because it is almost a paradox. You can't really disprove it, only prove it. I know you weren't referring to god but let me use him as an example. Even, if you were to somehow prove the big bang theory or whatever theory without a doubt people would say it is just God who made that happen. With ghosts it is a well you can't always see them, sense, detect them. Ghosts are so avoiding things by what they are supposed to be you can't ever disprove them. You may be able to prove their existance though if they are real.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
There's no such thing as the supernatural, just the unexplained. If something happens there must be a reason for it. Even if something like ghosts turned out to exist, it wouldn't be supernatural, it would be some sort of explainable reaction involving atoms and energy and all that **** that we didn't know about before.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by linksys24

"If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time."
-Bertrand Russell

Yay for learning!

The same applies to your silly ghosts, and energy. It baffles me that you can say "why can't we prove these things yet?" and still believe them.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Feb 19, 2009,