So me and my best friend and fellow guitarist are moving my band into the world of Experimental/Progressive Metal. Previously, we played metal core, and could get away with fairly simple riffs and still keep our fan base happy. Well, we got tired of this, and disbanded that band. We decided it's time to kick it up a notch.

Now, for this band, we are trying to get a unique sound. Still the crazy distortion, treble filled leads, bassy ass rhythm, crazy steroid enhanced drummer, ect. You know, all that jazz. By unique sound, I mean the overall feel of our songs.

What I want to know, is what the hell kind of song structure to use? Classic intro-verse-fill-chorus kind of stuff isn't going to work here. We're hoping to have all of our songs fairly long 5+ mins, without a lot of repeating. I know this means we have to add a lot of extra things; breakdowns, harmonies, drum + bass solos, vocal solos, interludes. But what other interesting things could I throw intro a song?

Also, I'm a fairly new guitarist of about a year and two months. So, out of curiosity, would working with the Auxiliary Diminished Blues Scale be a good idea for this band? It has that evil sound, but also somewhat sounds like a minor scale.

Lastly, what is the name of a chord that is shaped like these (Dropped C Tuning):

|--3--5--1--|
|--2--4--0--|
|--3--5--1--|

They're like power chords on steroids
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/Top Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Auxiliary Diminished Blues Scale? No. In fact, I have no idea what that is and I've written plenty of progressive metal, most of it based on little more than the minor scale.

To write progressive metal, you need to follow the adjective modifying the noun that is "metal." You need to be progressive. There isn't a formula to this, though Verse-Chorus structure works fine (see Under a Glass Moon for an example). Writing progressive metal is hard and you're not going to be good at it for quite some time, but this is the case with everyone; thus, you must accept that fact.

What kind of progressive metal do you like?

Those chords are b5 chords; each not is a tritone apart, hence the dissonance.
Stuff like Ganghis Tron is what we are trying to go for (Minus the synth). And okay, so if I write a song and post it do you think people would be able to help the process of me improving go any faster? And okaym thanks for the chord names.
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
those are "b5"-powerchords. I think they've got another name aswell.

Don't just stick to 1 certain scale. If you playing "Experimental/Progressive" be experimental. Same with the song structure. Fell free and try what sounds/fits best.

edit: i'm kind of slow today.. lol
Last edited by Maxico at Feb 19, 2009,
We won't write your music for you and you shouldn't want us to, but it is easier to offer suggestions about something we can hear rather than a vague entity.
I'm not asking for you to write for me. I don't know how I'm coming off, but I hope it's not like that. I'm asking if this is a good community to get useful input on my song...
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Okay thanks, thats good to note. Oh, and you're thing on galloping in your sig is great
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
That is a diminished fifth interval, some would call it a diminished or flat 5 power chord, or a tritone.

Progressive metal is heavily focused on technique and musical prowess. For some bands, it's the primary focus and it's obvious when listening to their music. It certainly doesn't have to be that way because there are plenty of bands that fuse mind blowing technique with serious compositional skills.
You should get into odd time signatures, polyrhythms / polymeter, and tempo changes as they are very prominent in progressive metal to the point that they are almost expected.

EDIT: Haha.....I took too long to post.
Last edited by Metalhead_28 at Feb 19, 2009,
You could definitely try incorporating aspects of other styles of music into your sound as well. Obviously you're into metal and your roots are probably in metal, but exploring other styles is only going to make your brand of metal more interesting.

Also, I think trying to 'force' progressiveness usually leads to ****ty music. I find I write my best stuff not when I purposely try to use odd-time signatures and whatnot, but when I just let ideas flow as freely as possible, whether they be in 4/4 or 9/8.

Try and keep it natural.

GOOD LUCK
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed