Hello there!
I like pretty much every genre of music. However, my favorite guitarist is Joe Satriani. I am not one of those guys that thinks he needs to own the same guitar as him, I dont want to be a Satch=wanabe. But I do want to play covers of his music soon. I was wondering if anyone here thinks that an American Strat could pull it off(it seems like the most versatile choice) and what pedal(s) might help me in my effort.

I wish a guitar center was near my town so I could see for myself, or at least find a decent video of a cover on youtube with a strat.

The help is always appreciated!!!

(if I cant, I may just have to get the ibanez rg2550z instead...but its not as good for certain cleaner music, as well as too much sustain, good and bad in different cases)
Beware : I am honest, but not brutal
Last edited by Gormanilius at Feb 19, 2009,
strats are great versatile guitars and you can play anything on them.

But if you want to get a tone similar to Satch's, then go with the RG. The strat will sound great and play great, but it won't sound the same. That matters to some people, not so much to others.
If you're looking to emulate, and not completely imitate, than you can't really go wrong with a MIA Strat.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Look down. All I gotta say...
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by Gormanilius
the HSS strat?
How does that perform?

Amazing.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by cavalier14
Amazing.

I agree with this, i adore mine. Although I'm now wishing I had just gotten the SSS strat. I have my SG for dirty stuff, and I only use my strat for the neck pickup now.

So if you're using the strat for dirt, giver with the HSS, if not go SSS
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
hss strat is a good way to go but really, you should be looking for something with humbuckers and coil split. an rg wouldnt actually fit that too well. i would reccomend a prs ce24 alder with coil tap. the wide thin neck is similar to the js neck with a shorter scale.

oh and prs>fender in terms of versitility.

to the talk about the trem: good point. neither a strat or a prs have a floyd rose. dont think you HAVE to get one though.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Feb 20, 2009,
The Strat would be able to get a good Satriani tone with the right amp, but you really need a Floyd to be able to play Satch. He uses it in basically every song.
I have coil taps in my RG and its really really versatile, I find anyway, I do tonnes of different things with it without doing a pedal dance, just my volume and pickup selector. Neither would be a bad choice, if one of them feels right in your hands and the other doesn't, then there is your choice.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.