Ok so I own a Ibanez S520EX, factory setup with .009 - .46 strings. It's tuned to E standard at the moment, but I'm thinking about putting it into drop C and playing some CoB and stuff. Anyway. What string gauge would you guys recommend, and how much adjustment is this gonna take? Thanks a lot.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
I've got the same guitar and it's in Drop C right now. I'm playing with .012-.054 strings.
I think I adjusted he neck a bit but I'm not sure about that (too long ago). It might be ok if you don't adjust anything. I'd recommend you to ask a luthier if you wan to be on the "safe side"
I use somewhat the same (.010-.046) gauge strings as you and my guitar is fine in drop c.
.10-.52? it's pretty much .9-.46 for Drop C.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
10 - 52 on my drop tuned guitar, it's in drop d right now, but handles drop c just as well with that guage.
12's would work, but if you want some really deep crunchy lows and some awesome sustain I'd just go with some 13-56's I just ordered some from dean markeley and i love them. But there a little harder to bend.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
12's would work, but if you want some really deep crunchy lows and some awesome sustain I'd just go with some 13-56's I just ordered some from dean markeley and i love them. But there a little harder to bend.

I thought about those as well. I find .012-0.54 to be a bit too thin. It feels like playing 0.008s on standart lol...
I've got strong fingers, you know?!
If you want to keep the same tension, go up one gauge for every whole step you tune down. You're tuning down a whole step, E to D, for all strings but the bass, so 10's. Ideally, you'd want a "light top, heavy bottom" set of 10's, to compensate for that low C.

Personally, I prefer the feel of 10's, so I'd use 11's, but that's me.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
If you change string gauge you have to do intonation as well. I went from 9 to 11's and just a couple turns from the screw driver and it was fine.