RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Last edited by forty6and2 at Feb 20, 2009,
use the code button in advanced settings it keeps everything straight for you or code tags
Then try again.

EDIT oh and the code button is the # button the colour drop down menu

Lets say you are playing quarter notes...
so you would be going, 
1....2....3.....4.....1.....2.....3.....4 on each beat of the metronome... 
-    -    -     -     -     -     -     -

But you need to format the rest of it cause no one else knows how it should look and so can't answer your question.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 19, 2009,
You mean like have a different length for each beat but still take up 4 beats?
Pretty hard to understand what you're getting at, but it seems like you might be talking about subdividing the beats as you count....?

If you're playing in 4/4 time, when dividing each beat up you would normally count it as 1 and 2 and 3, etc., for 8th notes, or 1-e and ah 2-e and ah 3., etc., for 16th notes.

Is that where you're going with this?
If the notes you're playing don't line up with the quarter note pulse from the metronome, you're not playing quarter notes.
code all the numbers and dashes and stuff and use the preview button to tweak it. It's a pain but once you get comfortable with coding it's quite handy.

Also watch out for enters cause coding won't wrap text so you have to hit enter to return to a new line.
Si
Quote by Metalhead_28
Pretty hard to understand what you're getting at, but it seems like you might be talking about subdividing the beats as you count....?

If you're playing in 4/4 time, when dividing each beat up you would normally count it as 1 and 2 and 3, etc., for 8th notes, or 1-e and ah 2-e and ah 3., etc., for 16th notes.

Is that where you're going with this?

yea exactly, instead of going... 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, you would go 1and2 and 3 and 4 and1and2and3 and 4

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Oh I see, I think, don't count like that. When you count keep your numbers even on the beats. Otherwise you can easily lose track of where you are in the bar and you might start phrasing out of sync. Those quarter notes should always nail the clicks.

Maybe if you have a swing kind of rhythm you'll get a longer gap like 1 and2 and3 and4 etc but even then the quarter notes should nail it everytime with the eights swung (depending on the time signature you're using).

For example:

V = click of metronome
+ = and (eighth notes)
e = sixteenth
a = sixteenth
| = end of bar

V       V       V       V       |V       V       V       V       |
1   +   2   +   3   +   4   +   |1   +   2   +   3   +   4   +   |

This is straight eights. The + is smack in between the quarter notes.

If you have a rhythm that uses 16ths and rests you would count them as such so...
V       V       V       V       |V       V       V       V       |
1   +   2 e +   3   +   4 e +   |1   +   2 e +   3   +   4 e +   |

if you counted like this...
V       V       V       V       |V      V       V       V       |
1   +   2 + 3   +   4   + 1 +   2   +   3 + 4   +   1   +  2  +   |

You see how as you're playing it keeps the beat but when you try to play with other people you'll lose track of where you are in the song. The drums you'll finish your bars at the wrong time and your phrasing will be missing beats.

I'm still not sure that's quite what you mean though.

Basically you're counting a set beat so the numbers will always fall on that beat you're counting not on anything else. The numbers will always be evenly spaced.
Si
Quote by forty6and2
yea exactly, instead of going... 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, you would go 1and2 and 3 and 4 and1and2and3 and 4

Well how you count stuff is really all about what works for you. If you're not trying to keep up with some odd time and you can feel your way around, who cares?

For what it's worth, if I understand what sort of rhythm you're talking about, I would be counting it as 1-ee and-ah 2-ee-and-ah 3-ee-and-ah 4-ee-and-ah, etc. Even if I wasn't playing a note for every 16th division. The 1,2,3,4 would all still be on the pulse of the metronome.

But to be honest, I probably wouldn't be counting it at all, I would just be feeling the rhythm.
i found a great way to explain it...
| = the click of the metronome...
o = represents a note...

|------------|------------|------------|------------|
o      o     o      o     o       o    o      o     o

^^ that would just be 8th notes... so could you do this and would they still be considered 8th notes?...

o o          o      o     o          o o o          o

Same thing for 16th.... is this still "right"?

oooo         o      o o o o    ooo      o   o o o   o

Or if i was feelin really crazy... use all 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16...

o  o         o o     o    o       o    o  o    o o  o

^ that could work?

Also, do you have to hit a note on each click? what if you didnt...?

There we go... it should be more clear now. But when im talking about using this, im talking about w/ a backing track and metronome, not just to a metronme...

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Last edited by forty6and2 at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by forty6and2

^^ that would just be 8th notes... so could you do this and would they still be considered 8th notes?...

o o o o o o o o o

No. There are sixteenth notes, eighth notes, and quarter notes in there.

|---------------|---------------|---------------|---------------
o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o       
1       +       2       +       3       +       4       +       

---------------|---------------|---------------|---------------
o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o
1   e   +   a   2   e   +   a   3   e   +   a   4   e   +   a   
^^This is straight eights and straight sixteenths respectively

And this (what you had as eighths) is a mix of all of them....

|---------------|---------------|---------------|---------------
o   o           o       o       o           o   o   o       o
1   e   +   a   2   e   +   a   3   e   +   a   4   e   +   a   
has some notes that are sixteenth notes and some that are eighth notes and some that are quarter notes. As far as counting you would use the method I set out there it would be like this...
1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

Strict alternate picking though would see you play all the 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + on the down stroke and the e a e a e a e a's on the up stroke.

Remember that the term quarter note and eighth note etc refers to the length or duration of a note not so much to where in the bar it's played. If we struck a note on the "e" and let it ring to the next "e" it's still a quarter note. So in your example the first note there is a sixteenth because the note lasts for that duration.

A whole note lasts one measure in common time (4/4 time).
A half note lasts a half a measure and two half notes make a whole.
etc etc

I hope this makes some sense. It's so much easier to show someone with real examples they can hear.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by forty6and2

Also, do you have to hit a note on each click? what if you didnt...?

No. You can start on an up beat. Have rests. or whatever. ANY song can be played to a metronome. The rhythm notation always shows exactly where every note starts, how long it is, and where nothing is being played and that's all relative to the metronome clicks.

Usually, you assume the metronome is clicking 4 clicks per measure in 4/4 time.

How you use the metronome, depends on what you want to do. I'd suggest keeping it simple at first and just get accustomed to playing regular stream of notes that are all the same subdivision. In practice you want to aim for having your notes hit the click EXACTLY. In playing, it's often desirable to anticipate or lag the beat, but you want to have control of that. It's not too hard to tell the difference between playing the purposely lags/anticipates vs playing that just can't find the beat.
Quote by 20Tigers

Remember that the term quarter note and eighth note etc refers to the length or duration of a note not so much to where in the bar it's played. If we struck a note on the "e" and let it ring to the next "e" it's still a quarter note. So in your example the first note there is a sixteenth because the note lasts for that duration.

A whole note lasts one measure in common time (4/4 time).
A half note lasts a half a measure and two half notes make a whole.
etc etc

That makes so much sense now... Because I was wondering why the 1/4 notes had to be RIGHT in the middle of the 2 clicks, then i was thinking if you could place it in the first quarter of the 2 clicks rather than the middle, but that would just constitute it as a. 1/8 note...

you could probably get more in depth with it as well right? like including 1/4, 1/8, triplet, and 1/16 in one measure? what would that look like?

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by edg
No. You can start on an up beat. Have rests. or whatever. ANY song can be played to a metronome. The rhythm notation always shows exactly where every note starts, how long it is, and where nothing is being played and that's all relative to the metronome clicks.

Usually, you assume the metronome is clicking 4 clicks per measure in 4/4 time.

How you use the metronome, depends on what you want to do. I'd suggest keeping it simple at first and just get accustomed to playing regular stream of notes that are all the same subdivision. In practice you want to aim for having your notes hit the click EXACTLY. In playing, it's often desirable to anticipate or lag the beat, but you want to have control of that. It's not too hard to tell the difference between playing the purposely lags/anticipates vs playing that just can't find the beat.

ok, i get it... but then, in theory, couldnt you just hit random notes whenever you want? because wouldnt they fit in the bar somewhere? whether it be a 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64?

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
or what if you just hit random notes for 2 measures and then landed a note on the first click of the 3rd measure?

the 2 above questions are also still in effect

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Damn, I came to this thread hoping it would be about basic math.
My mistake
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?