*sorry for posting this twice, the other was in the completely wrong section, and i apologize for that)

Hello there!
I like pretty much every genre of music. However, my favorite guitarist is Joe Satriani. I am not one of those guys that thinks he needs to own the same guitar as him, I dont want to be a Satch=wanabe. But I do want to play covers of his music soon. I was wondering if anyone here thinks that an American Strat could pull it off(it seems like the most versatile choice) and what pedal(s) might help me in my effort.

I wish a guitar center was near my town so I could see for myself, or at least find a decent video of a cover on youtube with a strat.

The help is always appreciated!!!

(if I cant, I may just have to get the ibanez rg2550z instead...but its not as good for certain cleaner music, as well as too much sustain, good and bad in different cases)
Beware : I am honest, but not brutal
*bump

Thinking of an HSS American Strat as an alternative. Thinking, not sure. I have heard some problems with it not sounding as great as the SSS
I don't think you can get Satch's lead tone with a single coil.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
You might eventually want that floating trem if you seriously get into Satriani's stuff.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I could have sworn I found a video of satch playing wither a strat or a charvel. W/O a trem(although he admitted it didnt sound as good as it should of )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

My main problem with the RG is the ammount of sustain and that its not great for cleaner songs....am I wrong.

Eventually I may getting both, but 2 grand isnt in my pockets at the moment.
Sustain comes from setup and fingers and amp, not guitar really.
And it's pretty darn good for cleans, especially with a pickup change and some good EQ.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Gormanilius
My main problem with the RG is the ammount of sustain and that its not great for cleaner songs....am I wrong.

I haven't owned many strats, but quite a few RGs, and never really noticed the lack of sustain. They're fairly heavy guitars with massive trem blocks - better at that than the strats, really.

As far as versatility goes, I would much rather have a 24 fret guitar with a floating bridge than a 22 fret guitar with a standard trem. An RG with a right set of pickups will do anything a strat will do, but not the other way around.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I always thought Fenders were overpriced because they're made in America. If you don't really have a reason to get a Fender, get the Ibanez. It's much easier to do some faster runs if you get the Ibanez
If it were me I would go with the fender. Fender necks feel good in my hands, more so than most other guitars anyway, and you might even be able to find one with a floating tremelo, which you might want if you really get into satch's stuff.

As far as pedals go, unless you have a really large budget your probably going to want to look into a multi-effects pedal.

If you don't want a multi-effect pedal check out Satriani's distortion pedal (called the satchinator or something like that I believe). I played on one at a shop the other day and you can really get some good sounds out of it.

You will also probably want some delay, reverb, whammy, and chorus, and wah also.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I plan on getting the satchurator, I heard the the guitarist of Boston now uses it in his rig as well.

I have heard alot about this whammy problem with the strat. How easily does it come out of turn exactly?

I thought that the whammy even got popular because of Jeff Beck, who uses a Strat primarily.
Ditch the MG first dude.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Gormanilius
I plan on getting the satchurator, I heard the the guitarist of Boston now uses it in his rig as well.

I have heard alot about this whammy problem with the strat. How easily does it come out of turn exactly?

I thought that the whammy even got popular because of Jeff Beck, who uses a Strat primarily.

It isn't necessarily the strat that is the problem.

You can get strats with Floyd Rose tremolo systems in them stock, so you can do all the bar dives and tricks you want and keep it in tune.

Type of guitar is really all preference. You can get Fender's with double humbuckers and floyd rose tremolo's and play metal with them just fine. Find a guitar you like. You might find you don't even like having whammy bars on your guitars. I know for the first 4 years I played I wouldn't touch the bars because I didn't like it. As I said before its all preference.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I do plan on eventually getting a better one.
I was thinking mayber the Fender Frontman 212?
Its not a large step up I suppose.
But If I had the money, I would own a half-stack of some sort
Get a Peavey Vypyr, it has a JSX model on it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by pifty
You might eventually want that floating trem if you seriously get into Satriani's stuff.

+1

and if you go with the strat, the HSS/fat version would be a good idea (though you could add a humbucker later, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you got the sss version).

but, yeah, for satch a floyd-style trem is a good idea.

Quote by pifty

As far as versatility goes, I would much rather have a 24 fret guitar with a floating bridge than a 22 fret guitar with a standard trem. An RG with a right set of pickups will do anything a strat will do, but not the other way around.

agreed. don't get me wrong, a strat will do a strat tone better than an rg will (lol), but the rg will do things that a strat just won't, whereas the rg's problems are that some of its tones might be a little "generic" compared to the real thing, but there aren't really any tones it "won't" do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by Gormanilius
I do plan on eventually getting a better one.
I was thinking mayber the Fender Frontman 212?
Its not a large step up I suppose.
But If I had the money, I would own a half-stack of some sort

If you want to get a good Satch tone, the Peavey JSX 212 combo would do you well, or even a Peavey XXX combo. Otherwise, you're wasting your money buying a new guitar, because you're definitely not gonna sound anything close to Satch. (and the Frontman 212 isn't a good amp either BTW).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. don't get me wrong, a strat will do a strat tone better than an rg will (lol), but the rg will do things that a strat just won't, whereas the rg's problems are that some of its tones might be a little "generic" compared to the real thing, but there aren't really any tones it "won't" do.
That's pretty much what I mean. For the strat tone, you'll want the real thing, but to say that an RG won't be good for any kind of music is a major fallacy. They go from jazz to shred without blinking a purely metaphorical eye.

But then, fuck, what am I saying. We all know Ibanez are only good for metal.
That's pretty much what I mean. For the strat tone, you'll want the real thing, but to say that an RG won't be good for any kind of music is a major fallacy. They go from jazz to shred without blinking a purely metaphorical eye.

I love sarcasm. I agree, except for the stock pickups RG's are super versatile.

On an unrelated note, I played an HSS rear routed RG with an original edge earlier today. the serial was on a sticker, but I don't remember it. Played nice though. I didn't have a bar for the Edge though, I was kind of annoyed about that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I wouldn't even rush to swap the pickups in a 2550. Unless you're looking for high gain or something specific (like you just need Evos because nothing quite sounds the same), the stockies in the 2xxx series prestiges are quite nice.
No, I mean like in a 350DX, INF's are mediocre.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
, Dave

No, I mean like in a 350DX, INF's are utter cocking shite. Oh yes, yes they are. But then I'd wager a guess that in a vast majority of cases a 350DX will be plugged into something equally as entry-level, and the pickups won't really make as much of an impact.
Well, you know, pifty, they could have taken UG's advice and gotten a good amp. But still I think that the INF 1/2 combo is better than the 3/4 combo, but that's just 'cause the S tends to be (IMO) a nicer guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden