i have played guitar for about 6 years and bought a bass for the school band. so basically i can play school band bass...which isnt much. i know pretty much every scale and chord there is on guitar. but, i am switching schools and that school does not have a band. but i dont want my 600 dollar bass to just sit and collect dust, so i want to learn how to play it. what are some basic things i should know other than chords and scales? I also want to be more specific in learning jazz bass, so any other tips for that would be appreciated.

another thing - how can i best increase my picking speed? i am using my pointer and middle fingers, but the fastest i go is 16th notes t 120ish.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Knowing Scales/Chords is great theory to know.

From playing guitar, your fretting hand should have some great dexterity, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. As for speed, I've worked myself up to 16th notes at around 192 bpm. Just practice, practice, practice.

If you have guitar pro, make a small drum beat on that. And work on the scales. Hitting every note of the scale 4 times in succession, and use that to build up your picking fingers speed. This will also help in callous development
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Read this thread for the speed question:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1071410

Learn actual theory. Forget about scales in terms of shapes- learn them by intervals and learn the notes of the neck- then you'll be less restricted and be able to play something that'll fit no matter what position on the neck you are.

Just pick it up and play. If you can play school band bass, you've got the basics down.

There's a rather large thread on jazz bass playing somewhere in the bass forum.
Quote by rtfk101
i know pretty much every scale and chord there is on guitar

No you don't.

There are hundreds of each...there's not a person alive that knows every one.

As far as getting better, I agree with Deleriumbassist. Walking is a big part of Jazz, so make sure to learn it well. It'll do you good in other styles of music as well.

I'll see if I can find the Jazz thread...

edit: Was this it?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607576&highlight=Jazz
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 19, 2009,
okay, you got me corn. i know the important ones though...major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor, pentatonic, blues, and various modes on major and minor sclaes.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
okay, you got me corn. i know the important ones though...major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor, pentatonic, blues, and various modes on major and minor sclaes.

You can play probably about 99.9997% of all music written knowing those different scales. The other stupid **** that people write in is, in the grand scheme of things, essentially pointless, so don't really worry too much about learning them.

Also, concerning your finger plucking speed, if you can, throw in your ring finger. You'll basically have to start over at step one, but once you bring it up to speed its all good. And make sure when you do work in your third, or do any fast plucking exercise that you fret notes at the same time, since you're only as fast as your slow hand.

Learn actual theory. Forget about scales in terms of shapes- learn them by intervals and learn the notes of the neck- then you'll be less restricted and be able to play something that'll fit no matter what position on the neck you are.

That right there is great advice, and its how I learned to play on my own.
+1, I learned with shapes for a long time, and now that I'm getting through actually learning the stuff I'm realizing how un-learned I really was...

Quote by rtfk101

That's all you'll really ever need. Synthetic modes are pretty easy to come up with...there's no need or reason to memorize them at all.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 20, 2009,