I know, I know, it's childish. But I'm trying to knock some sense into my friends head. He thinks Synyster Gates is the greatest guitarist to ever walk the earth. I stated that Oli Herbert of All that Remains is better (not the best, but I think he's really good.) So let's get some opinions.

Who's the better guitarist? Oli Herbert or Synyster Gates?
SYN is better /thread
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Synster is wayyyyyy better!
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Niether are good.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
I like Oli better but Syn is really good, although I hate a7x

oli has a beard and a real name too and not a stupid hat

yep he wins
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
no vs threads
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Synyster gates tone makes me cringe and, compared to other professional guitarists out there, he really isn't that good in my opinion, I mean he fits the bill perfectly for Avenged Sevenfold, but he's not the virtuoso some uneducated fools make him out to be.
The arguement is not which of those 2 are better......but how much better Steve Vai is then either of them lol. No but seriously I would put them both pretty much on the same level.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
me.

/comparing guitarists is stupid. it is all opinion.

edit: oh yes, and *reported*

Correct good sir.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Syn, while not better than Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc, is an awesome guitarist, regardless of what UGers will tell you. Few guitarists can play as well as him, truly.

Nobody who says Syn is saying it because A7X is popular. Syn is really a great guitarist. He just has terrible tone.

In short, Syn rocks, and he beats Oli any day.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
me.

/comparing guitarists is stupid. it is all opinion.

edit: oh yes, and *reported*

this man = genius.
oli

not because of his hxc facial hair, but because he doesnt overdo it like syn and doesnt have to wear makeup or rip off others to shred

edit: and even though atr's sound is lighter on overcome, its still not as bad as a7xs "change" :P but i like atr and some a7x(in small doses)

r i kool nao
GO BRAVES
Last edited by Thespade22 at Feb 19, 2009,
Syn no doubt. Oli is good, but there is very little variety in All That Remains. Syn can write very diverse styles of music.
Let's see, Oli Herbert incorporates awesome melodies and octaves or thirds/fifths in all of his solos 90% of the time. Look up any set of ATR solos on youtube for this to be proven.

And let's take a look at this super CLEAN PLAYING BY SYNYSTER GATES WOW LOOK AT HOW PERFECTLY ACCENTED HIS NOTES ARE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUqn1EEWaRw

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by minchew
Syn no doubt. Oli is good, but there is very little variety in All That Remains. Syn can write very diverse styles of music.

reverse it :p
syn is nasty. i think oli is a better musician and looks cooler. maybe syn can play better, but he's just a retarded nasty guy
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by atr5557
reverse it :p

+ infinity

Syn's solo's all sound the damn same to me. Mindless shredding to make the fanboys gizz.
I think they're both great guitarists, but they're different in style, and i think that's what makes guitar-playing so cool - people are good at different things, and that adds to their 'sound'.

Some ppl on this forum just seem to want to put forth really strong opinions and diss other people - that's kind of 'high n mighty' attitude is just immature. Opinions are just opinions, no need to get all catty and fight over them.
wow people who are saying oli or syn just because the way they look need to gtfo.
I'm going to say Oli, because Syn is a pussy faggot.

Win.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
How can you listen to ATR and then A7X, then say Synyster gates is the better guitarist? Syn is an over-rated pussy with no apparent skill or songwriting abilities.

Personally, both bands suck, but what ya gonna do in this era of shi*ty music?