So what gauge of strings would you consider to be too thick for standard tuning?

right now i play 11s in standard, it plays fine, i could deffinently move up to 12s with no problem. At what point does the tone not really improve from increasing the gauge? and would moving up gauges to play in standard cause any problems?

not to mention the fact no one wants to touch my guitars since it kills their fingers is nice too
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I used to play 13s in standard with no problem.

I really don't remember why I went so dang high, but I did.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I found a really good balance at 12s, 11s just weren't cutting it and 13s are a bit stiff for bigger bends and quick legato.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
now i feel like a little dick for playing with 10-52 in standard. how the hell can anyone play with 12's on standard. how the **** do you do wide vibratos and 1.5 step bends?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think 13's are too heavy. That's just me, though.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by apak
now i feel like a little dick for playing with 10-52 in standard. how the hell can anyone play with 12's on standard. how the **** do you do wide vibratos and 1.5 step bends?

By getting used to it. And I am no friend of crazy bends, so that doesn't bother me.
Quote by apak

No need to feel like a dick. Billy Gibbons uses 9's

Also: I have a heavy hand, so I like 12's, plus it's good for slide.
Quote by apak

You punish your hands and die before arthritis sets in. That's the Stevie Ray Vaughan option.

Don't do a lot of crazy bends. I go with that one. I like that sort of chopped, terse way Miles Davis played his trumpet, so I kinda like to imitate that.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
You punish your hands and die before arthritis sets in. That's the Stevie Ray Vaughan option.

Don't do a lot of crazy bends. I go with that one. I like that sort of chopped, terse way Miles Davis played his trumpet, so I kinda like to imitate that.

SRV tuned guitar down half a step to get a deeper more growling tone out of Number 1. One of the side effects of doing this is .013's are a lot easier to play when they're looser. I can't imagine what the .015's or even .018's he used to play were like.

I play .013's myself, usually tuned standard E. After a couple months I was fine, even doing big bends. It's kinda fun to watch faces when pulling off a huge bend on an acoustic guitar. I've actually snapped a few .009's on accident because my hands have gotten so strong.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by strat2finish
SRV tuned guitar down half a step to get a deeper more growling tone out of Number 1. One of the side effects of doing this is .013's are a lot easier to play when they're looser

Ah, forgot about that. Still, 13's in Eb have more tension that 12's in standard and, as you mentioned, he went even higher.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.