Alright guys, this is a retarded apples/oranges choice. I am looking for an amp to leave at my buddies studio (that I can still bring back and forth sometimes), preferably under $500. The two amps I'm looking at are a Peavey VK 112 ($200), and a Fender HR Deville 410 ($450) both used of course. I think they are both great deals, and I could probably resell either if I ended up not liking them. We play all kinds of stuff, but a majority of our songs have a raunchy guitar rhythm which I think the VK's do very well (although I've only played a 212). The Fender is great, especially for cleans, and can do some pretty sweet marshall-ish crunch sounds. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a speaker swap on the VK down the line but I've enjoyed playing one at GC in stock form. Just fishing for some opinions.
A HR Deville 410 is one hell of a deal for $450. Can't beat the fender clean in my opinion so I would go for that.
both are great deals. the fender would probably end up being more usefull for "high quality tone" sounds but the vk is a little more versatile overall and way cheaper. if its not going to be one of your main amps i say save the money and go with the VK.
the valveking would be more useful in the studio because it's very tweakable, although the 212 is much more tweakable than the 112.
Quote by Flea_Frusciante
A HR Deville 410 is one hell of a deal for $450. Can't beat the fender clean in my opinion so I would go for that.

I know! They are a great sounding amp. I am just wondering about the usefulness of a 4x10 in such a small studio (so much headroom on that thing, when will it start crunching?) and also sort of a cost/benefit type thing. Thanks for the input guys, it's a tough choice because they are both very attractive offers.

Edit: If it effects any of your responses here is the gear I intend to run through either amp (not all at the same time):
Pedals:TS-9, Boss ME-50
Guitars: Gibson LP standard (mostly), frankenstrat (formerly squier), mighty mite tele
Last edited by coinstarp at Feb 19, 2009,
Those are about average used prices imo. At the $500 or under mark there should be a lot more options out there. What used market are you searching in, what major city? When you say a "raunchy rhythm", what type of sound do you mean? Can you give us an example of a band or link to a similar tone?
Quote by gregs1020
Those are about average used prices imo. At the $500 or under mark there should be a lot more options out there. What used market are you searching in, what major city? When you say a "raunchy rhythm", what type of sound do you mean? Can you give us an example of a band or link to a similar tone?

Chicago area, just been searching craigslist.

The vagueness of my description of "raunchy rhythm" was intentional, we play everything from folk songs to death metal, it just so happens that grunge, punk, indie, and classic rock seem to occupy most of our agenda. I think you can't do too much better for punk/indie than a VK, since it's got those crappy tendencies that seem very angsty. My only question is in what situations are VK's considered crappy? I know low clarity during really high gain, muddyness, etc. Is it just when you are playing metal or does it sound pretty crappy all around?