Hey guys i need a bit of your help. I need to do an analysis on the the zeppelin song Whole lotta love. and so far i've only done chord progressions and such analysis, never a Riff based analysis.

I know its in E maj, but in the chorus plays D mayor (instead of D# dim like a major scale should have).

Can someone please help me out in what mode is Whole lotta love, mostly in?

Thank you very much!
I'd say E mixolydian. I believe the D Major chord fits in it.
Last edited by pwrmax at Feb 20, 2009,
It isn't modal. The inclusion of D is just a blues thing. *That's the theoretical justification.

*This isn't completely true, but I think it would be best for you to wait a while and learn some more theory before I try to explain altered dominant theory to you.
The mode is the same that most Zeppelin songs are in: Kick Ass.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
^ haha true story, true story.

Well im looking in guitar pro and it outlines E mixo very well. OOONLY using the notes in that mode (except for the bent D notes) and the solo outlines this mode pertly with F# C# and G#'s, theres a A# but its almost a passing tone, belongs to the slide of Dmajor to Emajor chords.

So, the professor said to just justify your answer, just it just happened, people have different opinions, we have to support them. Explaining it the way i did above, would be valid? would you buy it ha? ha

Thanks again
Quote by Sleaze Disease
The mode is the same that all Zeppelin songs are in: Kick Ass.

Fixed.

Anyway... that A# can actually belong to the E blues scale. The outlining of F# C# and G# supports my mixolydian claim while the A# supports Sue's blues claim. I'm guessing Page just went both ways on it switching between the two.

EDIT: I was just playing around with it, a mixolydian scale with an added diminished 5th makes a good blues classic rock sound.
Last edited by pwrmax at Feb 20, 2009,
cause its blues, there can exist notes in between the major third and major third of the scale.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by Pabli7o
E G G# A# B C C# Right?

E blues would be E G A A# B D. The A# is just what gives it the blues feel.
Quote by baylewis
cause its blues, there can exist notes in between the major third and major third of the scale.

alright that makes perfect sense...
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I kind of naturally assumed it was E minor, since the main riff is an E and a G. The solo (I thought) fit the E minor scale. But I'll look again...
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Quote by TheGallowsPole
I kind of naturally assumed it was E minor, since the main riff is an E and a G. The solo (I thought) fit the E minor scale. But I'll look again...
It isn't.
Quote by pwrmax
I'd say E mixolydian. I believe the D Major chord fits in it.

^ while I wouldn't consider the piece to be "modal", this would probably be your best answer if you want to analyze it in the traditional way. Both chords (E & D) can be found in the key of A Major (3 sharps), and the tonal center is E.

One should consider however, the era, genre, and background of the writer to better understand where this is coming from. Jimmy page was a blues and rock guitarist and this was written in the late 60's. He likely wasn't considering theory at all when he wrote the riff, but rather was using typical combinations of chords/notes that are found in the styles of music of the time period, to be more specific...... blues & rock 'n roll.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 20, 2009,
My mistake, I was thinking on the wrong strings. My fault, B and D.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
The mode is the same that most Zeppelin songs are in: Kick Ass.

I was just about to say: "The guitar solo is in the key of Awesome."

Great minds think alike.