Long story short- i have been playing for just under a month. Through a series of complicated events i am stuck with a small, old classical guitar. I want to play electric, I will enjoy it a lot more and be more motivated to play if I get one, but my dad would rather I play on acoustic first. Should i agree with him and get an acousitc, or convince him to get me an electric?
Hey i only listened to electric stuff, but my dad got me an acoustic first.

Acoustic is harder to play, so it does help get finger strength better, but if you think you'd never play it down the line (or at all), get electric.

or try one out first.
Eh play some classical for a while.
If you get somewhere and decide to stick with it, or even once you get too bored I guess just get a Squire or something.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Long story short- i have been playing for just under a month. Through a series of complicated events i am stuck with a small, old classical guitar. I want to play electric, I will enjoy it a lot more and be more motivated to play if I get one, but my dad would rather I play on acoustic first. Should i agree with him and get an acousitc, or convince him to get me an electric?

Like a nylon string guitar, or steel string. If it's nylon string you should convince him to get you a cheap one. If not just play with the nylon for a while and you could probably get another guitar later on.

Though the thing with an electric is you would need an amp as well and probably doesn't want to spend money on something you aren't going to really use.
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
The guitar I have to make do with now has nylon strings, and sounds pretty bad. I know that acoustic helps with finger strength, but all I listen to is electric and thats all I can really imagine myself playing. And I will probably just ask for it as an early birthday present, and maybe chip in some of my own money if needed.
I have exactly the same situation.
I wanted to get an electric as fast as possible, but now that I've learned to play on my classical guitar a bit, I like it a lot as well.
I'm still getting an electric, though.
I think all your dad wants to do is see if you really want to go through with it.
He probably doesn't wanna spend a lotta money on an electric + amp unless he's sure you deserve it!
I think what you need to show your dad that you can learn to play no matter what you're on!
Yeah, im still practicing a lot on the classical. He actually remarked at how quickly I am improving (He played guitar a a teenager, so he knows a bit about it) and he knows that I am really dedicated.
Hey Goldfish, I think you should definitely stick with the classical a bit. There are some really beautiful classical pieces you can learn. Not to mention classical should really help your abilities, and understanding of the instrument. But as far as playing acoustic or electric, if electric is really what you have your heart set on thats probably what you should try to get. Acoustic and electric are pretty different, and you'll have a great time playing electric.
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
If you get an electric you will get better at a faster pace because you will play more. When I had my acoustic I would practise for 15-30 mins a day and now I have an electric I play
1-3 hours a day.
I would keep playing the classical, once he sees you are playing it a lot for a few months, then you can talk to him about getting an electric. If you know you want to end up playing an electric, then thats what I would go for. Save up you money too, so you can kick in for an amp as well. For what it is worth, I would spend about 75% of my budget on the amp, as a crappy amp always sounds like crap, but if you play a low-end guitar through a good amp it will sound fine. Also, I would check out used stuff, as you can get about twice the product for the same price, and if you stop playing you can sell it for what you paid for it.

Some will say that playing an acoustic will make you a better player, as they are harder to play. Using that logic, just play with leather gloves on, then when you take them off, you will be able to play better. If you want to play electric then spend your time playing that.
I say you should use acoustic first.
I learned guitar with my electric, and once I picked up my acoustic for the 1st tiem I noticed how weak my fingers were. So yes definately learn w/ acoustic.
It doesn't matter one bit - but in terms of motivation you're better off playing the kind of guitar that made the music you like.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by guitarman106
I say you should use acoustic first.
I learned guitar with my electric, and once I picked up my acoustic for the 1st tiem I noticed how weak my fingers were. So yes definately learn w/ acoustic.

As he has a nylon strung guitar (people are missing this point) I doubt he will build more strength into his finger than he would playing electric, in fact it will be less harsh on his fingers.

I tend to agree with Steven Seagull, however, it may be worth preservering with the nylon string guitar for now just in case your dad is testing out whether you are committed to learning guitar.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Last edited by Andy Jarvis at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter one bit - but in terms of motivation you're better off playing the kind of guitar that made the music you like.

Well said. That's why I got an electric - the wide range effects that could be done with one drew me to the instrument far more than the acoustic (which are still very fine instruments by the way).

But if your dad is testing you, do what pleases him. It'll pay off.
Last edited by TheOrangeRift at Feb 21, 2009,
What's the point in playing if you don't enjoy it? Ask for an electric if that's what you want. Better yet, buy one yourself.
Yes, if you want to play electric guitar, go get one. Acoustic helps finger strength greatly as other people have said. I've found out that once you get an electric and play it, you'll want to play both acoustic and electric. It's almost like you find appreciation for the acoustic. It's great that you're playing the acoustic anyways even though you'd rather have an electric.
Besides, you can make some pretty nice covers of songs on the acoustic :P.
And a note on the finger strength thing, once you've played acoustic for a while and move to electric, it's so nice, barre chords are a breeze.

And if you're worried about the hassle of an amp, I've heard good things about the Tone Port by Line 6. You basically use your computer as an amp, and it also has many effects packages. And I believe it's only about $100, and you can record what you play with a program like Audacity, and even incorporate drum programs so you have a band pretty much.

http://line6.com/podstudio/
Last edited by Imetal at Feb 21, 2009,