extremely stupid question which i probably learned in the second grade but i forgot

Yeah, this is a really stupid question, I know, but is it "awhile" or "a while"? One or two words? Or can it be both? It doesn't really matter, I simply forgot and was curious. Please feel free to mock me of my lack of basic English skills.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
i would guess two words... theres been a lot of these threads lately.

When “awhile” is spelled as a single word, it is an adverb meaning “for a time” (“stay awhile” but when “while” is the object of a prepositional phrase, like “Lend me your monkey wrench for a while” the “while” must be separated from the “a.” (But if the preposition “for” were lacking in this sentence, “awhile” could be used in this way: “Lend me your monkey wrench awhile.&rdquo

ok, now that thats over, crazy 8's? this thread is now about :______
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Feb 20, 2009,
It's been awhile since I've thought about it. I'll just take a while to think...
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
now you got me thinking of that stupid staind song that got overplayed to hell quite a few years back...ahhhh, once again it's stuck in my head.
lBlUlTlTlSlElClKlSl
My Anti-Drug
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
It's been awhile since I've thought about it. I'll just take a while to think...

google tells me both are acceptable.

and dude no worries I still get iffy about alot and a lot.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by Shredder6
I still get iffy about alot and a lot.

I'm pretty sure that it's always "a lot".
Quote by bigwillie
CornLord, you just blew my mind.
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt

I think if you took "been" out of that sentence, then it would be correct.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Awhile == adverb. Use to tell "for how long," as in "I fapped awhile."
A while == noun with article. Use in prepositional phrases, as in "I haven't fapped in a while."

(While the subject is out there, a lot is always two words, but give it a decade or two and alot will be acceptable, if not standard.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)