Yeah, it's probably been asked before, but it's super hard to find because of all the threads about Mesa amps. I'm looking for a nice Triple Recto sounding distortion pedal. The one I'm leaning towards right now is a Damage Control Demonizer. The Subdecay Blackstar looks really cool, but I've heard mixed reviews about it, anyone want to clear this one up? I'm also looking at a Damage Control Solid Metal, an Ibanez Tube King, and a Keeley GT-500. I'd like to avoid a Sansamp GT-2, even though a lot of people recommend them.

I'll be running it through a Traynor YCV-50 Blue, and my price range is around $250. Feel free to suggest anything higher, I'll just eBay it, but obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible. Also, I just reached the top of the wait list for an Analogman King of Tone, but I don't think that will do what I want.

Opinions?
Last edited by mlogans91 at Feb 20, 2009,
No pedal can ever duplicate the immortal glory of a Triple Rectifier.
Just get a Engl pre-amp
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
I'd love a V-Twin but unfortunately they're pretty far out of my price range, even on eBay. I'm now looking at a Blackstar HT-Distx or HT-Dual, which both look pretty awesome. I love their amps, anyone have any experience with their pedals?
I have the Damage Control Demonizer and have used the Direct Out on it for the 3 recordings on my profile. That may give you an idea of its distortion.
My Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Paul Allender
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
Damage Control Demonizer Distortion/Preamp
you will NOT get mesa tones out of a YCV50 It's a marshall/brit voiced amp, sell it and buy a used recto maybe they run IIRC less than 1k
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Nope, sorry, not selling the Traynor. I'm super happy with my amp, I'm just looking for a Mesa tone for a few songs. I understand I'm not going to turn a Traynor into a Boogie, I just want to get close.
ahh you don't want a mesa other than for a couple songs, well then I've heard the damage controll pedal is great
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Alright great, thanks for the info on the Damage Control guys. Has anyone tried a Blackstar though? All the clips I've heard sound pretty sick (plus they're like half the price of a Demonizer).
Why not Tech 21? Check out the band link below for samples of my Tri-Ac, I used it on most of the tracks.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by mlogans91
Alright great, thanks for the info on the Damage Control guys. Has anyone tried a Blackstar though? All the clips I've heard sound pretty sick (plus they're like half the price of a Demonizer).

The Blackstar pedals are impressive. Check out the DistX. It sounds more Mark-ish than like a Recto.
theres a few videos of the zvex box of metal getting tones VERRY similar to high gain tube amps..
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I know you are avoiding the sansamp gt-2, but I still recommend it. Or the california pedal or the AMT california pedal.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

The Blackstars absolutely suck. They're noisy, lack clarity and definition, and are grossly overpriced. A Tech 21 Sansamp, Zvex Box of Rock, and Damage Control Demonizer would all be better choices, but none of them are going to sound that close through a British-Voiced amp.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Used Flextone 3 would be the closest... Theres a few videos comparing the two on youtube and there pretty darn close at lower volumes. And cheap to come by...

Forgot to add if your looking for a pedal like stated. My vote is for Tech 21.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 20, 2009,
Blackstar and Damage Control are both complete shit.
Why not Tech 21? It's great.
Quote by Horlicks
Blackstar and Damage Control are both complete shit.
Why not Tech 21? It's great.

Agree with the damage control. Had one before.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by theoreticmusic
The Blackstars absolutely suck. They're noisy, lack clarity and definition, and are grossly overpriced. A Tech 21 Sansamp, Zvex Box of Rock, and Damage Control Demonizer would all be better choices, but none of them are going to sound that close through a British-Voiced amp.

The BOR wont get Mesa tones. Its a Marshall-in-a-box pedal.
isnt the tech 21 pedal everyone is talking about supposed to sound like the mark series amps? thats totally different than a triple rec sound.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^ the california is modeled after the Mark III while the GT2 "california high gain" is a Rectifier
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ the california is modeled after the Mark III while the GT2 "california high gain" is a Rectifier

ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.