So i've made a serisous consideration towards the Dr.Z MAZ 38 Sr, but I was wondering about the wattage...I'm going to be playing some "medium" sized gigs with it say like 500+ people in a high school gym sized room(though not actually in HS gyms lol) and possibly some outdoor ones. I was wondering if I was going to get enough clean volume out of it's 38 watts for those kinds of situations without micing it. I mean most likely everything will be mic'd anyway, but just in case I did need that kind of volume without overdriving the tubes, will it do the job?
Most likely not.

But what is the point of getting an amp like that without the intention of pushing it hard?
well I love the cleans on it and pretty much everything else about it. I wanna maintain the clean sound as much as possible at high volumes. I have a tube screamer to add the overdrive here and there but I mostly want country-ish cleans out of it. I guess I can deal with micing it at gigs. I dont really have a need for heavy distortion or anything.
You might want to look at some different amps then, especially for country-ish cleans. I'm not super familiar with Dr Z amps other than that they're kind of like variations of the Vox AC30s and 15s. Typically I'd go for something like a Fender twin reverb for country-style cleans...
I had another post on these just posing some questions about the brand itself and I was told they were great for what I was looking for. The problem with the fender twin reverb is that I find myself hard pressed on finding a vintage one and I dont want a reissue I heard they werent that great. The whole line of Dr. Z's is available at a music store 15 miles from where I live which is also playing a big role in my choice for this amp.
Quote by al112987
You might want to look at some different amps then, especially for country-ish cleans. I'm not super familiar with Dr Z amps other than that they're kind of like variations of the Vox AC30s and 15s. Typically I'd go for something like a Fender twin reverb for country-style cleans...

See my avatar. That's Brad Paisley, one of the most underrated guitarists out there. He's a country guitarist, and he uses Dr. Z amps. Trust me, the guy has incredible tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Ha I was going to mention Paisley in defense of Dr. Z's country credentials, but I didnt wanna seem like i was just buying them because he plays them.

I agree with his reply to the purpose of the post though which was to find out of 38 watts was going to get me by at gigs without being mic'd. Kinda dissapointing that it cant, but 99.9% of the ones I play mic amps. I cant go much larger than a MAZ 38 2x12 combo because it needs to fit into my ford focus's backseat or trunk for the local shows though I could get something bigger for tours since we'll have a van and maybe a trailer.
Quote by Natrone
See my avatar. That's Brad Paisley, one of the most underrated guitarists out there. He's a country guitarist, and he uses Dr. Z amps. Trust me, the guy has incredible tone.

I know Brad Paisley has incredible tone, and I know he uses Dr Z amps (there is a video demo of him on their website) all I said was that I don't typically associate the early British el84 amp voicing with country music. And at gigs where you're going to have to push the volume a little bit, a 38 watt, tube rectified el84 amp is going to break up. It's not a bad thing, the pushed cleans that are on the verge of break up is (imo) what you buy a tube amp for, you get all the complex harmonics and overtones that you don't get when your amp has a truly "clean clean" sound and all the natural compression and sustain of a pushed amp that cleans up when you alter your pick attack and gets dirty when you hit the strings harder.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 20, 2009,
so in other words im going to need something bigger and more powerful in terms of wattage to still get fairly good cleans at high volumes? Or is that only the case if I want to accomplish without micing the amp? Because if its mic'd I should be able to get away with never having to turn the amp up past like 5 or 6 right? Ugh the search for a great amp is tedious haha. I reconsidered last night and might just end up getting the Vox AC30. can anyone give me a comparison on these amps? i know the specs of each one I just havent played the Vox
It depends by what you mean by "good cleans." I think that cranked tube amps have great clean tones, even if they're not entirely clean. What I mean is like this tone in the clip "Maz Sr Strat" on this page's sound clips http://www.drzamps.com/maz38nr.html That is not a bad clean tone, actually it's a great clean tone. Again, I don't understand why people often rate an amp's clean tones by how clean they stay.

That is the typical tone you get out of a cranked tube amp with your guitar's volume rolled down. The AC30 is a very similar amp with even less headroom (rated at 30 watts). Whether or not you're going to have to push the volume depends on the gig entirely, but unmic'ed, you'd have to turn it up a bit. I don't know a whole lot about Dr Z amps, however, I know that they are handwired, and have a great rep, and would not doubt that they are superior to Vox's in most senses.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 20, 2009,
oh wow I never noticed those audio clips at the bottom of the page on Dr. Z's site, thanks! the one you're talking about is actually pretty close to what im looking for. I've been reading into Vox amps more. What are your opinnions on the Classic Plus combo? Its 50 watts and will provide a little more headroom than the AC30 or the dr z's im looking at. Its features seem like a lot to cram into one amp so im not sure on its "chinese mass produced quality" lol.