I'm thinking about enrolling into Devry for their Game and Simulation course. Basically develop games and such. However, I have never done anything programming or anything related in the field except play the actual video games.

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has taken a course similar to this and if prior knowledge in the field is necessary. I don't want to sign up for something and regret it later.

My other option is Network and Communications Management.

Any advice is appreciated.
It was a graveyard smash.
i dont think devry is actually accredited. as in, theyll take your money and your "degree" wont be worth the paper its printed on.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I've heard bad things about Devry. That^
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I don't anything about courses and such, but I'm sure game development requires you to know how to program unless they're teaching you that. And unless of course you want to do graphics. If it's something you're interested in, why not start learning to program now? I've been learning a little bit myself as a hobby.
Well they say they teach you everything and classes start in March so I doubt I could learn much on my own in two weeks.
Quote by C. Limon
Well they say they teach you everything and classes start in March so I doubt I could learn much on my own in two weeks.

You could certainly learn the basics of object-oriented programming in two weeks, even in your spare time.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

dont go to devry,
research them horrible school. And you diploma won't meet **** when you done.
Quote by SteveHouse
You could certainly learn the basics of object-oriented programming in two weeks, even in your spare time.

Any advice where to start?

Quote by crzywhiteboy
dont go to devry,
research them horrible school. And you diploma won't meet **** when you done.

This will sound pretty naive but I figure it's okay considering they have been around for awhile and their statistics are pretty positive. But then again those are THEIR statistics.
Quote by C. Limon

I'm sure that depends what language you choose. I'd suggest Python because that's what I've been learning and it has been suggested to me many a times for someone new to programming. But Devry could very well be teaching you something like C++ or Java. Isn't to far off I guess, better than nothing.
I believe there's a good school in san diego and there's also a good school in vancouver. I don't know their names cause it's not in my interest but my relative worked for rockstar and also animated on beast wars and reboot and those were the schools she recommended.
Start with flash!!! That or Visual Basic. Except flash is more fun and there is a lot of help out there on the interweb, such as kirupa.com.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by C. Limon
Any advice where to start?

Sites? No idea right off the top of my head. Languages? Visual Basic, C/C++ (you'll want C++ as opposed to C# for game development), Java maybe. I don't know if you still can but a few months ago you could download the basic version of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 fo' free (it's a DVD .iso).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

why dont you inroll in a course at another school besides devry? if you have a high school diploma you can probably find a program that will take you. it definately would be less sketch than devry. no employer respects a degree from devry.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
why dont you inroll in a course at another school besides devry? if you have a high school diploma you can probably find a program that will take you. it definately would be less sketch than devry. no employer respects a degree from devry.

I'm sorry but any proof to this statement?
Quote by C. Limon
I'm sorry but any proof to this statement?

I know this from work experience, during my brief stint in HR for a computer company we would pretty much disqualify anyone with a degree from there unless they had other qualifications and/or experience.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If your high school GPA is anything above Suck.5 you should be able to get into a four-year uni somewhere, or at the very least a community college to get some basic credits and then you can transfer.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I know this from work experience, during my brief stint in HR for a computer company we would pretty much disqualify anyone with a degree from there unless they had other qualifications and/or experience.

Damn. I'm never gonna find anything.
Quote by C. Limon
Damn. I'm never gonna find anything.

well actually, if you do IT stuff, their classes should be enough to prep you for getting Mircrosoft/Cisco/CompTIA/whatever certifications, and those will help you get a job. But honestly, most of those you should be able to study for on your own or through online courses, both of which would cost a lot less.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm