okay so heres the deal,

im getting a squier from my gf that I can completely modify/do whatever I want to.

basically, im trying to make a nicer guitar out of it.

plans:

warmoth vintage modern neck (16 and 10 degree)

schaller tuners

american strat tremolo

complete rewiring

now..I need help with the pickup configuration..

I want an eddie van halen brown sound/classic rock out of it so I dont know if I should go with the SSS or the HSS setup or which pickups would be best for getting this tone. (and no im not painting another frankenstrat. lol I just want the tone)

open to suggestions other than buying a better guitar. this one is free
Last edited by RKPsk8er at Feb 23, 2009,
evh just had a single humbucker in his guitar. The neck pup was a dummy, unwired. For versatility's sake, I would go for HSS if you're looking for that EVH sound (though i prefer SSS for even more versatility)

I like squier strat necks. I happen to love the one on mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. Is there a particular reason you wanna switch it out?

I didn't like the tuning pegs on mine, so i switched them out. I don't like the trem on them either. If i had the cash I would consider swapping it out for a better one, or a hard tail. That's something to think about. A new paint job is always a nice way to get a fresh feel out of an old guitar...
Quote by mangaka82
A new paint job is always a nice way to get a fresh feel out of an old guitar...

Not if you're blind.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by RKPsk8er
open to suggestions other than buying a better guitar. this one is free
this is a dumb idea. really, really dumb.

you're replacing EVERYTHING on this guitar, except the body.
that will be expensive, no matter how you slice it.
pay just a little more and get a new body.

now you have 2 guitars, not one.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
this is a dumb idea. really, really dumb.

you're replacing EVERYTHING on this guitar, except the body.
that will be expensive, no matter how you slice it.
pay just a little more and get a new body.

now you have 2 guitars, not one.

yes, theres no reason i couldn't take the parts off the squier and put them on a nicer body down the road, once i could afford it. I want to do some custom painting and I'd hate to mess up an expensive body though.
Just paint your squier and build yourself a new body,
No use in putting Febreeze(expensive parts) on a pile of manuer(body) It wont take the smell out of it.
this

that will get you pretty damn close to the "brown sound". im gona use one for MY frankenstrat(see my sig)
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
thanks for the input. any other suggestions on pickups to get an early van halen tone out of it? i've read a few things about some sort of seymour duncan custom pickups but dont know any details.
get a Duncan PAF or a 59'er, Eddie's strat had a PU out of an ES 335 in it
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
EVH rewound his pickup. It WAS a PAF but once he changed the coils it become something entirely different. Didn't Dimarzio make a pickup modeled after his? I think it was the Air Norton.
hmm..i'll have to look it up. I think saw on an interwebz video something about him rewinding them and dipping them in wax or something. i'll have to check out that dimarzio
Quote by RKPsk8er
yes, theres no reason i couldn't take the parts off the squier and put them on a nicer body down the road, once i could afford it. I want to do some custom painting and I'd hate to mess up an expensive body though.

You won't have any parts left to switch over, just swap the body and you will have a whole new guitar.

On a serious note, don't try and put a USA trem on that thing, it won't fit. If it stays in tune don't F with the tuners. If your lucky, its an older Sqiure II, and it will have a solid alder body as good as any standard strat. Just paint an awesome finish on it, put some good pups in and it will sound good.

edit: Some Squires have a full sized tremolo so, if yours does then yeah, you can put a USA Fender trem on it. But why, if its full sized just upgrade the saddles.
Last edited by h82crash at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by h82crash
You won't have any parts left to switch over, just swap the body and you will have a whole new guitar.

On a serious note, don't try and put a USA trem on that thing, it won't fit. If it stays in tune don't F with the tuners. If your lucky, its an older Sqiure II, and it will have a solid alder body as good as any standard strat. Just paint an awesome finish on it, put some good pups in and it will sound good.

edit: Some Squires have a full sized tremolo so, if yours does then yeah, you can put a USA Fender trem on it. But why, if its full sized just upgrade the saddles.

I would have all the original squier parts that I could put back on the cheaper body.

I'm actually not going to put a USA trem on it. I've done some research and I think I can tackle a floyd rose install. I'm going to try a full floating setup. Still need more input on pickups.
You can also second-hand strats from ebay, but you aren't sure of the sound of the guitar. I don't know how Van Halen-guitars souds, but I think someting with humbuckers.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/5150f.htm

This is a site with a lot of his guitars.
Sounds like you have all of the upgrades mostly covered. For the EVH sound go for the HSS. Slap a Dimarzio PAF in there. In all of the pickup cavities, behind the pickguard and in the cavity for the pots...line it with aluminum foil or that thicky shield you can get from Stew-Mac.
AL
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Feb 24, 2009,
thanks for the advice, i will look into those. i think I might give the duncan seymour custom shop a call and see what they have to say about it.