Hey guys, new here as well.

Anyway, I'm an 11 year guitar player - well, guitar screwer-arounder.

I want to start taking things a bit more serious. I've been singing as of late and really want to get a better knowledge of my instrument.

I've got pretty much every chord possible down... even if I don't know what a "7th" is... or why an A5 is an A5. I've never really considered lead guitar or solos... I can play a few riffs... Stairway of course... Classical Gas... etc.

All that said... I don't know the technicalities behind the guitar... how to raise fretboards, how to adust the truss rod. I just bought a $400 Takamine Acoustic (G-Series) and I absolutely love the sound... however I don't know what strings to use, size, etc, etc.

Where is the best place to really grasp this stuff?

Again, I've been playing for so long that I know my way around a neck... I just don't know anywhere near what I should.

Help, my friends!
Go to a professional unless you have a cheapo guitar you can mess around with.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by JD1986
I've got pretty much every chord possible down... even if I don't know what a "7th" is... or why an A5 is an A5.

contradiction
^^ I think he means he can physically play them but hasn't got the theory down...

On that note TS, start leaning theory I'm pretty new to theory myself but I've found the Crusade columns here on UG to be a fantastic introduction.
Yeah, that was what I meant. I can play most everything... just don't know what it all means. lol.

As for learning theory... it seems that every time I start reading a certain something... it refers to something else I don't know... kind of like I'm running in circles. I don't know a definitive starting point... ya know?
Quote by firesprite
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns

Seriously, it's presented really clearly and it progresses logically and it starts from the very start

Ugh, I suck. (Sorry if this becomes a hijacking)
I read that and this about intervals.
But seriously, none of that means jack **** to me.
Honestly, where the hell do I start when I don't know ANYthing about theory?
To me it's all a bunch of letters that don't actually mean anything and people talking out of their buttucks trying to confuse me......

edit: for example:
"1.1 - Where to start?
Since I am an avid believer of not using steps, except for the major scale..."

Where to start? I don't know why I actually read beyond that point since I've totally no clue what in the world theyér talking about.....HELP! Please?
Last edited by MarauderNL at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by MarauderNL
Ugh, I suck. (Sorry if this becomes a hijacking)
I read that and this about intervals.
But seriously, none of that means jack **** to me.
Honestly, where the hell do I start when I don't know ANYthing about theory?
To me it's all a bunch of letters that don't actually mean anything and people talking out of their buttucks trying to confuse me......

edit: for example:
"1.1 - Where to start?
Since I am an avid believer of not using steps, except for the major scale..."

Where to start? I don't know why I actually read beyond that point since I've totally no clue what in the world theyér talking about.....HELP! Please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agd19ez8rWs

This video (there are four parts, click your way around) explains intervals and frequency from a scientific point of view (i.e very basic), if I recall correctly.

Atleast I think it was this video that made me understand intervals a bit better. (and harmonics, tuning etc.)

i are teh king of parenthesis
btw, TS. dont keep calling yourself "noob". everyone got on that point.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I get home....IF I get home......a long night of excessive beer consumption is afoot.....
Last edited by MarauderNL at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by JD1986
Yeah, that was what I meant. I can play most everything... just don't know what it all means. lol.

As for learning theory... it seems that every time I start reading a certain something... it refers to something else I don't know... kind of like I'm running in circles. I don't know a definitive starting point... ya know?

If you're playing by ear don't bother with theory. It'll just get in the way.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
"If you're playing by ear don't bother with theory. It'll just get in the way."

I really hope your not serious... Its definitely a good attribute to play by ear, but at the same time its a good attribute to know the theory behind it as well.

And as far as learning theory for me my guitar teacher, who has a PHD in music theory, started by teaching me the C major scale in open position. This was mainly to start grasping the layout of the notes. Im not sure how comfortable you are with the fretboard layout, but its been taking me a while to get it into my brain, and its well worth it. Once you feel comfortable with the fretboard I would start going over scales and the various intervals you have in the scales. IE: your tonic, 3rd, 5th, etc. these intervals are the basic construction of what you need to know, they are what ends up making up the chords and everything else your gonna play. I hope this helps a bit, im still a noob as well so dont take what i say as if it were written in stone. There are also alot of good articles on UG, and the web, as well as many great books regarding theory. Good luck man!
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
Last edited by m_Soares at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by m_Soares
"If you're playing by ear don't bother with theory. It'll just get in the way."

I really hope your not serious... Its definitely a good attribute to play by ear, but at the same time its a good attribute to know the theory behind it as well.

I'm pretty serious. Some musicians can't be bothered with theory and he sounds like one of 'em. If he wants to know what stuff he's doing I guess it's all right to look up theory but if he don't need it then don't bother.

The ears tells you if it's good or not, not theory. Theory set the rules, the ears breaks 'em.

It's like learning a language like English. You learn to speak proper English but when you hit the streets, do you hear any proper English?

This guy knows his way around the fretboard and I'd say, let it be.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
^^ I disagree. The ears help you play whatever they like and theory explains what you're playing and why it works. And the TS does sound interested in knowing theory - he mentioned he wants to know why 7th chords are called what they are etc.

I'll agree that you shouldn't write your music based on what is theoretically sound but I don't agree that theory should be dismissed entirely as something worth learning. I'm open to a lot of ideas about the guitar and music in general and to me dismissing something like theory entirely is strange, it's just another bit of knowledge I have that I can use and apply to my playing and for that alone I think it's worth having a look at and getting the idea of.

Theory, to my understanding, is the basic rules of western music - you can't speak the language until you have at least an idea of how the language hangs together, how to make full sentences etc.