Hi I am looking to upgrade. I just got my new guitar (a ESP-LTD EC-1000 with EMG's). I want to upgrade my sound now. I have a old Spider 2 210 combo amp that I bought about 4 years ago when I didn't know any better.

I am trying to decide between the Spider Valve 212 combo or the new Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube combo (the tube version I am only interested in). I love that warm tube sound and I am craving it badly. I have not tried either amp yet (maybe this weekend) but the sound clips I have heard on youtube I am leaning toward the Vypyr with 4 6L6 tubes instead of just 2 on the Spider.

I need it for playing in my room for practice and when I go over to a buddies we jam out (he has drums). I play mostly hard rock, metal, but when I am feeling it I like to play clean with a little chorus.

I would like to spend less the $1000 on a new amp and I would like to have that all in one package. I really don't need a full tube half stack (ENGL Powerball my dream amp) any time soon.

I have heard alot of hit and miss with the Spider Valve and not alot with the Peavey Vypyr Tube 120. If anybody has had any experience with both or with the Vypyr any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you.
My Stuff:

LTD-EC-1000
Ibanez RG350 ex

Line 6 Spider 2
Peavey 6505 212 Combo

ISP Decimator (G-String)
Maxon OD-808
Nobody has anything to say?
My Stuff:

LTD-EC-1000
Ibanez RG350 ex

Line 6 Spider 2
Peavey 6505 212 Combo

ISP Decimator (G-String)
Maxon OD-808
for the love of god...DO NOT GET A SPIDER!!!!
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
You don't need the 120 tube, it would be insanely loud.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I'm not sure how you'll get a warm sound out of a guitar with twin 81's. In your budget you could look at used AC30 or Twin Reverb, either of which would have more power than you'll need for home and practice. But I value quality above newness.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I got a Vypyr 120. But, yeah, it is insanely loud. I think I've lost some of my hearing since I got it 2 weeks or so ago. It's way better than the Spider Valve that's for sure.
Quote by Fate_of_Man
Hi I am looking to upgrade. I just got my new guitar (a ESP-LTD EC-1000 with EMG's). I want to upgrade my sound now. I have a old Spider 2 210 combo amp that I bought about 4 years ago when I didn't know any better.

I am trying to decide between the Spider Valve 212 combo or the new Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube combo (the tube version I am only interested in). I love that warm tube sound and I am craving it badly. I have not tried either amp yet (maybe this weekend) but the sound clips I have heard on youtube I am leaning toward the Vypyr with 4 6L6 tubes instead of just 2 on the Spider.

I need it for playing in my room for practice and when I go over to a buddies we jam out (he has drums). I play mostly hard rock, metal, but when I am feeling it I like to play clean with a little chorus.

I would like to spend less the $1000 on a new amp and I would like to have that all in one package. I really don't need a full tube half stack (ENGL Powerball my dream amp) any time soon.

I have heard alot of hit and miss with the Spider Valve and not alot with the Peavey Vypyr Tube 120. If anybody has had any experience with both or with the Vypyr any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you.

I'd probably get the 60w instead, it should be more than loud enough..

Quote by Lurcher
I'm not sure how you'll get a warm sound out of a guitar with twin 81's. In your budget you could look at used AC30 or Twin Reverb, either of which would have more power than you'll need for home and practice. But I value quality above newness.

How is he going to get a good metal sound out of these, without a very expensive pedal?
OK TS
Don't go for a vypyr or a spider

You have the money to invest in a decent amplifier which will serve a variety of purposes. I recommend going with a classic 30 or perhaps a used mesa F-30. In fact I think a Mesa F-series amp would be perfect for you
Spiders have a bad rep here on UG. I know because I've owned it.

The Spider Valve is very different, and is worth an objective test before you write it out with the regular Spiders.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
"Teh WTF!!is a TAB Usualz"
Used Mesa/Boogie F-30/50
Used Mesa/Boogie DC3/5
Used Peavey XXX

OR go to your GC and buy the NEW Peavey 3120(w/ EL34s) HALFSTACK FOR ONLY $999!!!!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Thx for the input guys I am going to my local guitar shop and try out a few things tomorrow. The nearest Guitar Center to me is about 50 miles away so that my be another trip if I don't find what I like. I thought that the 120 would sound better because it has a 212 set up but does just 1 12 inch speaker sound that good in the 60 watt? I'll try what they have. I really want to get away from spider and try something different.

If I don't find what I like I might try e-bay for a mesa F series or run up to GC another weekend.

Thanks for the help guys. I let you know what I get.
My Stuff:

LTD-EC-1000
Ibanez RG350 ex

Line 6 Spider 2
Peavey 6505 212 Combo

ISP Decimator (G-String)
Maxon OD-808
You have 1000 and your considering a Spider and a Vypyr?

There are some great metal amps in that range.
Randall RG50TC, 6505/5150, maybe even the Bogner Alchemist
The 60 is really loud too. Sounds good loud. When I play at home I can't hear anyone else's voice, NICE!!!
Went to my local guitar shop today and they didn't have any Peavey Vypyr's in. I was mad. They did have a 6505+ half stack, but right now I'm not looking for a full tube only metal amp. I don't just play metal. It's my passion yeah, but I sometimes just want to be mellow.
My Stuff:

LTD-EC-1000
Ibanez RG350 ex

Line 6 Spider 2
Peavey 6505 212 Combo

ISP Decimator (G-String)
Maxon OD-808
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
"Teh WTF!!is a TAB Usualz"
Used Mesa/Boogie F-30/50
Used Mesa/Boogie DC3/5
Used Peavey XXX

OR go to your GC and buy the NEW Peavey 3120(w/ EL34s) HALFSTACK FOR ONLY $999!!!!

i would definitely go with wut he said....and if you decide to look used u can get a pretty good rig for $1000....it is possible because i got my amp rig for under $1000...
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD MH-1000 String Thru w/SD's (brown ftw!)
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Amps/Pedals
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Pedal
Line 6 Spider III combo