Hey guys, been busy for a while and haven't been here much. I just need your say in this. I've been looking at the Boss ODB-3 Distortion and Boss CEB-3 Chorus pedals and seen some online demos of them and they sound and appear to be plain awesome. I was talking to my guitar teacher who was also my bass teacher and he tells me he thinks that even Boss pedals tailored for bass seem to cut off the low end and he recommends me Electro-Harmonix pedals instead. What do you guys think of the boss pedals that I'm choosing and the Boss brand in general, Electro-Harmonix and what a good wah would be too? (I was thinking the Dunlop bass crybaby). Thanks guys!
Well, the chorus is really nice, and i should be getting it soon.

The ODB-3 i dont like, its not very overdrivy and there are better pedals. Alot of people like Eh, go and try them out or listen to sound clips. I would say though to get something like the Digitech overdrive or the Ashdown, there both much better IMO.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i have the odb-3 and i've tried a little big muff and both are awesome, though if i remember correctly, the odb-3 was a bit more customisable, as it were. i've also noticed a difference in sound between my amp and when i plug my headphones. the amp is a lot more clearer, but the headphones almost make it sound fuzzed, both of which sound cool, though i think it also depends on the amp you're using. i'd recommend trying out a few pedals and see what you can get out of them. my friend even borrowed my pedal so he could do hysteria for his showcase at the music school he goes to and it apparently rattled the lights above the stage. but yeah, try everything, and see what you like
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I would generally recommend EHX over Boss, as they tend to sound more "organic", the only Boss bass pedals that I like are the SYB-3 and SYB-5
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'd recommend the chorus, but know that like digitech it's a cold one...it's good for subtle stuff.

For the grit, I'd take EHX over Boss, and ZVex over both.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I'd recommend the chorus, but know that like digitech it's a cold one...it's good for subtle stuff.

For the grit, I'd take EHX over Boss, and ZVex over both.

Do you know any chorus pedals that can stay subtle but go 'watery' Come As You Are style if needed?

Also, is ZVex on the same price level as Boss and EHX? Or is it a whole step up?
Well the ashdown chorus, is demoed playing come as you are, so you could check out. Also if your willing to spend more, the Ebs unichorus is really versatile.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Perhaps ZVex might not have been the best company to name...I'm tired, sorry (3:30 am here)

Of the two, I'd take EHX, and you might look at MXR, AMT, and Tech 21.

What kind of grit are you looking for?

edit:
The CEB-3 can get that watery tone. It might not be exact, but you can definitely get that type of feel with it.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Perhaps ZVex might not have been the best company to name...I'm tired, sorry (3:30 am here)

Of the two, I'd take EHX, and you might look at MXR, AMT, and Tech 21.

What kind of grit are you looking for?

edit:
The CEB-3 can get that watery tone. It might not be exact, but you can definitely get that type of feel with it.

I'm not really sure what grit I'm looking for, I just want a distortion that can get really intense, because I've seen some bass distortions that I hardly consider distortion because they sound really weak and alot of the original sound is cutting through. I was watching some demos on the Bass Big Muff Pi and that thing rocks. I am able to buy the CEB-3 and ODB-3 for $94 US, is that a good deal?
Quote by cjlane
Do you know any chorus pedals that can stay subtle but go 'watery' Come As You Are style if needed?

Also, is ZVex on the same price level as Boss and EHX? Or is it a whole step up?

Zvex is several levels up. Their Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz sells for over $350.

I believe the chorus used in Come as you Are was an EHX Small Clone, so something like an analogman clone chorus with deep mod should do that even better, though more expensive.

While you may like really intense distortions now, you may start to prefer more subtle ones later. When I first got an ODB-3, I thought it was fantastic. Now, it's an over the top, very fizzy, sawtooth distortion.

Intense, thick distortions are not always those that can put out the most gain with the fuzziest sound.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by fatgoogle
Well, the chorus is really nice, and i should be getting it soon.

The ODB-3 i dont like, its not very overdrivy and there are better pedals. Alot of people like Eh, go and try them out or listen to sound clips. I would say though to get something like the Digitech overdrive or the Ashdown, there both much better IMO.

Ashdown do a James JoMenzo OD pedal...

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yes and they also do a Drive + which i have its an overdrive aswell. Im guessing tis a bit more sutile than the james jomenzo, but it go harsh and soft, like barelky noticable overdrive, to some extremw. The great thing is you can adjust the highs and lows on it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I will vouch for the Digitech Bass Chorus. It can be as subtle or as in your face as you want it to be. That's what the level knob does on it, controls how much chorus is in your sound. Not to mention it has a crazy amount of voices at your disposal (16!)
Quote by IndianRockStar
I will vouch for the Digitech Bass Chorus. It can be as subtle or as in your face as you want it to be. That's what the level knob does on it, controls how much chorus is in your sound. Not to mention it has a crazy amount of voices at your disposal (16!)

This. The Boss one also sounded a bit more sterile than the Digitech. The pedals are about the same price retail (Boss / Digitech). I still maintain is an amazing pedal for the price.

The ODB-3 is a good fuzz pedal and is workable after some considerable tweaking. I use mine, but as soon as funds allow, I am going for a Fulltone. Like Jack, I was extremely enamored of mine when I purchased it. But it is a bit limiting in its sound.
I hate my ODB-3. I can never get the sound I'm going for no matter how much tweaking I do. It's very muddy without adding highs, but as soon as you add highs it turns into a horrible screech. So it's muddy or screechy.

I'm definely going to get something better soon. Probably a Communist Pig.

The Boss Chorus is OK, but the Digitech one is much better and the same price.
well i played an ashdown and a boss odb3 the otherday at a store, and i thought the ashdown was very similar to the boss but it had a fancy dial on top. the boss you could mess around with much more, more versatile.
i suppose its like multi FX boxes - they do loads of stuff but none of it is very good.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by gm jack
Zvex is several levels up. Their Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz sells for over $350.

Really? Wow...I thought they were like $150+.

Now that I think about it, the Ibanez PD-7 might be your thing right now. It's got two different types of distortion, labeled overdrive and distortion. The OD setting is milder, of course, and has a warmer tone to it, while the distortion has a more in-your-face quality to it and can almost pass as a fuzz. It's nice and thick too...there's no loss of low-end at all.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-PD7-PhatHed-Bass-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150234

edit: Those soundclips are horrible, btw. I think they both have the drive knob all the way up, and he's using a bass with a whole lot of fret buzz...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 20, 2009,