Yesterday I saw Metro Station perform live as an opening act for The Veronicas, and they were surprisingly great. I had honestly expected very little from the group whose music was unknown to me, except for the single phrase "shake it". However, one of the guitarists (who was quite thin and tall and had donned an admirable set of sickeningly thin emo jeans!) was amazingly adept at spinning his guitar around his body via the strap. Amusingly enough, around the third time he did it, the other guitarist walked behind him for some reason, and crashed into his spinning axe. Needless to say, that ruined his trick, but for some reason, no one else seemed to notice or respond. Oh well.

Overall, it was pretty darn cool! However, he kept repeating that one trick over and over again. However, I'll admit that he was awesome at it. He could spin the guitar and catch it properly in the tiniest of breaks, and keep playing as though nothing had happened. I half-heartedly tried it when I arrived home, not wanting to break any mirrors or my guitar! It was, as expected, not particularly easy. That's a good thing, though; I'd rather a trick be hard to do and thus more satisfying to pull off.

My question is, what other awesome - but achieveable - stage tricks are there? Playing with my teeth is probably slightly too tough (to put it lightly), but anything else like tips on how to jump off platforms, etc., would be very much appreciated! Or, just share cool showmanship stories of your own. Hooray!
My friend told me about this band called Attack, Attack! Who basically do front flips with guitar in hand, in the middle of a song, and just land as if nothing had happened.. :]
Watch some videos of angus young (ACDC)
live... you never seen stage performance until u watch angus
PANTERA
Quote by KGB_INC
none. i've never had sex.
probably never will.

My Gear:
B.C Rich Warlock
32 year old antique yamaha accustic
Peavey Ovation
Peavey Millenium Bxp 5 string Bass
2000 Watt Peavey PA system
Line 6 Floor Pod
I heard tools guitarist has a really neat trick while playing live. Sometimes during a show he will actually move around the stage!!!!
Quote by Chasing Shadows
My friend told me about this band called Attack, Attack! Who basically do front flips with guitar in hand, in the middle of a song, and just land as if nothing had happened.. :]

Im looking at them on youtube, i see no front flips??
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
A nice trick for hardtail guitars is to vibe a pinched harmonic. Okay, its one only another guitarist would appreciate but its a goody. I saw Mick Box doing it about ten years before Mr Floyd-Rose had a good idea.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Unearth do loads of spins with their guitars & jump around all over the place!
i've seen one of their shows (sadly only a video of it) & their guitarists were just pushing each other over & kinda play fighting
you should definately check out Unearth's DVD Alive From The Apocalypse, there's quite a few 'guitar tricks' on that!

Quote by Chasing Shadows

I've seen Attack! Attack! live when they were supporting FFAF, but i can't remember seeing them flipping...
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Feb 20, 2009,
Yngwie Malmsteen, in between his flurry of guitar spins and queer kicks, sometimes throws his pick in the air then kicks it back into his hand, and carries on playing. Hard as **** but looks great, though most don't notice.

Also jumping into a crowd. People love it, youtube "Rory Gallagher Shadow Play Montreux 1979" or something, in that he jumps into the crowd, throws his guitar across the stage, does all sorts.

Another favourite, is playing behind your head. Easy when you get it down and people love it.
Quote by YoHendrix
Im looking at them on youtube, i see no front flips??

2 secs, ill get my friend to link me to one where they do that :]

EDITS: THE VIDEO ISN'T ON YOUTUBE XD.. JUST SO YOU KNOW..
Last edited by Chasing Shadows at Feb 20, 2009,
Jake E Lee was awesome in his Ozzy days.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i saw this band called suburban legends, they were supporting reel big fish, and they started out playing at disneyland, so all thier songs they do choreographed dance moves, and have mock brass fights and ****

its awesome
In a soundcheck there's never too much guitar. Just not enough of all the other instruments.

Quote by skwelcher
i dont think theres any reason to buy a gibson when you can buy an epi that looks the same
i do guitar spins a lot

i usually epically fail though.

theres another thing i do that basically like, whips my guitar around my back so it is like, flush with my wingspan. i really dont know how to describe it.

family force 5 break dances on stage. for being a fan of hardcore i was really surprised to actually like this band.

adam d from killswitch does some crazy stuff too. he like, does pushups on stage and dances like an idiot. i love it.

theres tons of stuff, really. just watch a bunch of different videos.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by miniknielsen
Watch Jimi hendrix... he got all the tricks you need! ^^

woord i saw him do a slide with his elbow(with a long sleved shirt btw) in this video once. hes a beast
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
The guitarist for Aiden does this a lot. He spins the guitars both ways around his body. I think they use to do it in Atreyu also. (Not sure...)

Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold has some pretty cool tricks to, one where he plays a whole riff with one hand. You should watch Unholy Confessions live and see what I mean.
dont like them but story of the year do alot of ju,ping around and stuff and the guitarist in my band is buying me a pint for playing gay bar with my bass behind my head at a gig last week
Guitar
Ibanez - S5470F
Epiphone - Les Paul Black Beauty
Line 6 - Spider II 210 - deceased :/
Blackstar HT studio 20
Farida D-8

Bass
Fender MIM Jazz
Ashdown ABM C115T-500 EVO II
Quote by tymanic
Watch some videos of angus young (ACDC)
live... you never seen stage performance until u watch angus

Angus Young is the single worst thing to happen to music and australlia
Schecter Sunset Custom FR
ESP LTD Ex-50
Vox VT50
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Macbook Pro, Alesis GuitarLink, Logic Studio 9
Quote by AvAHixson

worse than the bushfires?

you're a mong.

reported for having no relevance to the thread, and for general stupidity and insensitive timing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by Ex Shred
Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold has some pretty cool tricks to, one where he plays a whole riff with one hand. You should watch Unholy Confessions live and see what I mean.

Lots of distortion and high volumes works wonders.

Alexi Laiho spins his guitar about a lot.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by AvAHixson

says the moron with the mg the pawn shop guitars
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by AvAHixson

I Hate You.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by steven seagull
Jake E Lee was awesome in his Ozzy days.

I agree, a great trick he did was when he got down on his knees, having ozzy beat him in the face and he just kept un shredding! Ofc when St Sanders had some fun with it, it became even better
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Lots of distortion and high volumes works wonders.

Alexi Laiho spins his guitar about a lot.

Yep. And its hit him in the ass a few times. His Jackson did anyways. Saw them in 2001 Alexi did his little Strap swing, Nailed himself in the ass with the headstock. made a very very ugly sound, he grabbed it and went back to playing his solo.
Balsac from GWAR also does something i find funny. He uses his scrotum to play the intro to
Black and Huge(Live, Which is just a bunch of feed back). by bashing it on the strings.
Dimebag used to carry a beer on his headstock and hand it off to someone
Ace Frehley has the exploding middle pick-up during his solo.
Thats all that comes to mind.
Wait. Zakk Wylde, Playing behind his head with just doing hammer ons\pull offs, Then playing with his teeth fairly fast
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Feb 20, 2009,
a song called "sleepwalking" by blindside, check the video, at one part the guitarist, singer and bassist all do a cartwheel with gear in hand, jump up in the air in slow motion, and all attack their gear as they hit the ground...always thought that was cool
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
I can't believe no one mentioned this, but I've seen quite a few bands, only paramore comes to mind, that have one guitarist roll over the back of another. Just youtube it. It looks pretty cool if you can get everyone to keep playing and do it right.

EDIT: Super kudos if anyone can throw their guitar and have it circle their body more than once. I've only ever seen one vid of someone pulling it off
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Feb 20, 2009,