Well I have to get a new, quieter amp. I currently have a Epi Valve Jr combo and it is too loud (well at least so my wife says). Don't get me wrong I love the VJ but it just doesn't sound good at super low volumes nor are super low volumes easy to find. Here are the features I would like:

-Sound decent at super low volume (i.e. can't hear it over the TV a room away).
-Produce good rock/blues sounds (don't need any metal)
-A/C Powered, if it has an option for batteries even better
-A few effects, nothing crazy (maybe chorus, reverb)
-On board EQ would be nice (not required as I have an EQ pedal but not having to toat it around might be nice)
-$200 USD is the absolute max, would perfer under $150

Here is my current gear in case it matters:

2006 MIM HSS Strat
Epi Valve Jr Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss OS-2
Digi-tech RP70

Amps I have considered:

Roland Cube 20x (use power squeezer) - has all the features I am after but batteries but it is a bit spendy, not sure if it will be quiet enough
Roland Micro Cube - look nice but no EQ
Vox DA5 - not sure I can get the sound I want out of this
Line 6 Micro Spider - know nothing about this, but I know people here hate Line 6 so I doubt it will get many thumbs up

So my question is what do you recommend UG?
First of all... Tell the wife to chill out!

anyways, I would say get the Micro Cube or the Vox. They aren't bad amps.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
you are a perfect candidate for a MicroCube. i have both the Valve Jr. and the Microcube. the cube will get you everything you just asked for and more.
I am getting myself a MicroCube. Got to test one some days ago, good amp!
Gear
Guitar: Ibanez SAS32EX
Amp: Marshall JCM800 4210
With the little help from a TS9
Quote by ..NEM..
I hate Swedes.
I recommend the Microcube too! It's very good but the lack of a proper EQ can be a bit annoying sometimes.

You can trust me and Joaz' opinions because we use them when our JCM800's can't be used!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Blackstar HT-5, you can get a combo version if you don't want a stack.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Birchall17
Blackstar HT-5, you can get a combo version if you don't want a stack.

I have a 5W tube amp, don't need another.
Quote by Chrisiphone
I recommend the Microcube too! It's very good but the lack of a proper EQ can be a bit annoying sometimes.

You can trust me and Joaz' opinions because we use them when our JCM800's can't be used!

Got a 10 band EQ so not a huge deal!
This is stretching the price range by a little bit, but you might consider the Micro Cube RX. I wouldn't mind having one myself. It's 229.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-MCUBERX-5W-4x4-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481807

Chromatic tuner built in
Rhythm guides so you basically have a drum beat to play to.
3 band EQ
Battery powered (6 double A's last 13 hours)

If you don't mind buying used then you can check out eBay for one.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
5W tube amp too lound?
cmon...my 100watt isn't too loud if I put it on 0.5
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Not so much that it is too loud as when you turn it way down to the level I want it sounds like crap. Really need about 1/4 volume before it sounds decent.
the cube series doesnt really excel for mid gain rock/blues sounds. your best bet would probably be the vox da5
however this might not solve your problem if the valve jr is too loud.. maybe some sort of multi effects pedal with modelling and headphones?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
My Vj works great with my POD, but that's way over your budget.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
the cube series doesnt really excel for mid gain rock/blues sounds. your best bet would probably be the vox da5
however this might not solve your problem if the valve jr is too loud.. maybe some sort of multi effects pedal with modelling and headphones?

The Vox sounds like shit for anything with gain.

I'm not satisfied with it at all. Hate the fucker on here who said it was great

Get a Microcube or a Vypyr 15w or something.
I haven't played the Vox yet but I looked at some vids of it... not sure I like the tone at all. Might get some decent blues tones out of it but as far as hard rock... not too sure...
Quote by Kozlic
5W tube amp too lound?
cmon...my 100watt isn't too loud if I put it on 0.5

Ya but it sounds like **** at .5 I'm sure.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Immortal_Hero
I haven't played the Vox yet but I looked at some vids of it... not sure I like the tone at all. Might get some decent blues tones out of it but as far as hard rock... not too sure...

Play one. I get spot on Zep tones out of mine, Hendrix all day long. Also on the blues settings I get a passable srv tone. I own one and do just what you are trying to do from it. For blues and hard rock it's the amp. If you were a metal player I would tell you roland or vypyr. But for what you want to do, the only thing that it doesn't have is an eq, it just has a tone knob. But you have an eq so that's a non issue.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
buy a 12at7 and put it in the preamp slot...........you get more power tube saturation at a lower volume= more bottom end and more clean headroom. then add a od pedal and you will get fuller and richer tones at lower volumes with your VJ. the 12at7 kills alot of amp hiss also. try saving some money and look at tubes.
http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html
look at the Vox AC4, can dial it down to 1/4 watt and all the way up to 4 watts, it could replace your VJ then possibly. You can preorder it on Sweetwater I think its due in March.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Immortal_Hero

The Demo vids aren't representative. (Some of the user made are though)
It just sounds like ****.

Quote by gregs1020
Play one. I get spot on Zep tones out of mine, Hendrix all day long. Also on the blues settings I get a passable srv tone. I own one and do just what you are trying to do from it. For blues and hard rock it's the amp. If you were a metal player I would tell you roland or vypyr. But for what you want to do, the only thing that it doesn't have is an eq, it just has a tone knob. But you have an eq so that's a non issue.

Just no.
Post clips or it didn't happen.
The only way to get a passable rock tone is by hooking up my Fulltone OCD, and even then it sounds pretty crappy.
Quote by JilaX^

Just no.
Post clips or it didn't happen.
The only way to get a passable rock tone is by hooking up my Fulltone OCD, and even then it sounds pretty crappy.

Yes, just yes.

I'm in FL, mah gear is in Chicago, but JilaX, I will be glad to upon my return. If you're using a Fulltone with this amp, you're using too much gain. Classic rock and blues don't require much gain at all. I agree, that set up you are using must sound like crap.

Edit: And just for grins, I'll do it with P-90's.
Tell ur wife that to load desent exist and buy a massive marshall stack
\m/ metal up your ass
Well decided its not time for a new amp but time to start modding the VJ. Went ahead and did the master vol mod. Which helps a lot. I can get decent sound out of it at super low volumes. Most people replace the 220k R5 resistor with a 250k pot but not me. I put a 100k in there. Cuts the max volume in a little over half. It also gives me good volume control at low levels. When that pot is cranked to 100k though it is still very very loud (as inside practice amps go). I am actually considering replacing it with a 50k pot for even better low volume control. I have found my sweet spot to be around 10k to 20k so a 50k pot should work great. I am also considering putting a bypass switch in that would bypass the pot and run through a 220k resistor like stock. This would allow me to flip a switch and have a jamable amp. It would be kinds like power squeezer on the cubes! $3 pot is the best solution yet!

Oh yea did a bright switch mod too. Basically cut the JP1 jumper and wired a switch in there. This just pulls the C3 cap from the circuit making the amp sound brighter (and a bit louder).
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Feb 21, 2009,
Hey, if you like your amp this thread should be titled "new wife time".
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

That will cost more than a 5150 III, trust me on that one. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it , just saying the pot solution the TS found is the cheapest way out available.
Hahaha, I didnt look at it that way.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

LOL
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Immortal_Hero
I have a 5W tube amp, don't need another.

Yours has a volume knob. His has an EQ and master volume. Plus, the epiphone is very lackluster without modding it IMO. The Blackstar is superior in EVERY way possible.