I'm thinking of buying a tube amp, but know nothing about them. Do I need any sort of pedal or anything to get overdrive/distortion from a tube amp with no lead/gain?
Last edited by parigod at Feb 20, 2009,
If I understand you correctly, then you're saying the amp you want only has a clean channel? In that case yes you would need an OD pedal.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Most tube amps have on board overdrive.. Some don't have enough so in that case yes, you would need an OD to push it to that territory.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Feb 20, 2009,
if the amp only has 1 channel then you probably would want one. although if you can crank it you would get some natural overdrive tones.
Quote by brngbacwudstok
I like the Tube Screamer
you should try it out before you buy it though

+1
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Just turn the volume to max, and hit hard.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
it depends on the amp. most amps will give you overdrive no problem, others may need an overdrive pedal to get overdrive at low ish volumes

what are you thinking of buying?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
if a tube amp has no gain, you can use an overdrive or distortion pedal to give it gain. you can also do this on a tube amp's clean channel.

what often sounds best, however, is using an overdrive pedal to tighten up the sound of an already-overdriven tube amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
what often sounds best, however, is using an overdrive pedal to tighten up the sound of an already-overdriven tube amp.

That.

You should test out some pedals. I'd look at these: Ibanez TS9, Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss OD3, BBE Green Screamer.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by Simsimius
Just turn the volume to max, and hit hard.

i can see you have no tube amp, because if you did that, even with a 15w, youll blow your ear out, lol