I suppose an overdrive or distortion pedal with an actual tube in it would make it sound more realistic. Or a really high-class modeling pedal may work.
For anything like this you're going to need pedals with built in pre-amps.
I use the Boss GT-8, its rather expensive but its pretty good. It wont be quite as good as a tube amp, but itll make your SS amp sound much better if you set it up right.
the downside is, these kind of pedals are expensive, and if thats all yo wanted it for, itd be just as cheap to buy a tbe amp.
Quote by Chriis
I suppose an overdrive or distortion pedal with an actual tube in it would make it sound more realistic. Or a really high-class modeling pedal may work.

yeah this is what i meant to ask about do you have any suggestions on any of these
Quote by Chriis

This. Look at Blackstar pedals, specifically the HT-Drive or HT-Dual, they seem to be getting incredibly good reviews and aren't hugely expensive. If you run that into a clean tone on your amp you'll be most of the way there. I wouldn't bother with modelling, the only way you're genuinely going to get tube overdrive sounds is by overdriving some tubes - get some electrons moving!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
EHX English Muff'n uses tubes, that's probably the closest you're gonna get.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
the amount of money you'll spend on trying could just be money saved to actually get a tube amp
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"