Hey guys,

I have noticed a strange but good thing. If I hear a single note or a simple chord I immediately know what note/chord is, without trying with the guitar. Is it normal? Do I have absolute pitch? I'm not 100% accurate, but I'm able to guess correctly 8-9 times out 10. Maybe it's because I always learn songs by ear? Do anyone else here have this ability?
It may be perfect pitch, or "just" very well developed relative pitch (which is arguably even better).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Like Archeo said, that's perfect pitch. Which is quite useless unless all the guitar tuners in the world explode and every (western) instrument in the world is out of tune, and all the recorded music disappeared.

Relative pitch is how you determine intervals (like if something is major/minor/dominant, and how too determine extensions and alterations)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 20, 2009,
Relative pitch is very common in musicians, particularly musicians who play by ear.

Perfect pitch tho, can you sing Doh Reh Me..... starting on the note C, without any external reference, so no guitar, nothing. Try it, then hit a C note on your guitar, or play the C Major Scale and see if you're spot on.

I btw, do not have perfect pitch, my relative pitch is better.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by mdc
Relative pitch is very common in musicians, particularly musicians who play be ear.

Perfect pitch tho, can you sing Doh Reh Me..... starting on the note C, without any external reference, so no guitar, nothing. Try it, then hit a C note on your guitar, or play the C Major Scale and see if you're spot on.

I btw, do not have perfect pitch, my relative pitch is better.

MY absolute pitch is average as well, but my relative pitch is as good as perfect, seeing as I always have been able to work out songs (unless it's guthrie stuff or Shawn Lane's stuff and some of Holdsworth's stuff.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanks for the replies.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Which is quite useless
Actually it's very useful... I'm able to learn songs by ear in a few minutes. Just learned a 7-minutes song. The problem is memorize it
Assuming you mean when you hear a guitar part, you might be taking cues of timbre too. I used to be able to do something similar with the sax, not because I had a sense of relative pitch, but because I could hear how a C# sounded more reedy and open than a D.
His death, which happen'd in his berth,
At forty-odd befell:
They went and told the sexton, and
The sexton toll'd the bell