Page 1 of 7
I'd figure this is the best place to put them...They play like polyrhythmatic jazz fusion metal I guess you could say. It's a side project of Tosin Abasi from Reflux. Some of the best new music I've discovered in quite a long time.

Their stuff's kind of hard to find but it should be around on a few blogspots and soulseeker.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=164208530

http://www.last.fm/music/Animals+As+Leaders
Last edited by Selkies921 at Apr 28, 2009,
Is it just me or is this "ooh look at me I'm like Meshuggah but more jazzy" stuff starting to get real old real fast?
This is terrible, terrible wank.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
It wasn't THAT bad

just nothing exciting
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

No, Stranglehold described them perfectly.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by tanman
I like it. How did you hear about these guys?

The guitarist, Bulb, posts at another message board I go to.

And really you guys don't like it that much? It's obvious Meshuggah is a huge influence on this but I don't think it's a blatant rip off.
I don't get it. Whever there's a band with angular riffs or weird time signatures, people always shout "Meshuggah ripoff!"

Anyway, the name sucks, but I kind of like the music. Some of it is kind of wanky, but it sounds pretty cool overall.
Quote by Clownmite
Whever there's a band with angular riffs or weird time signatures in the style of Meshuggah, people always shout "Meshuggah ripoff!"

Fix'd.
Quote by Selkies921
The guitarist, Bulb, posts at another message board I go to.

And really you guys don't like it that much? It's obvious Meshuggah is a huge influence on this but I don't think it's a blatant rip off.

Hah you post on smn? what's your username?
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by Magero
This isn't Bulb.
It's a different dude. This one is black
Anyway, album leaked, it's pretty rad.

Agreed, very far from a Meshuggah rip-off as some folks at the start claim.

Very solid instrumental album. This guy's old band, Reflux, was spectacular (they split up).
I, for one, am getting a bit tired of all the "OLOL I CAN HAZ MESHUGGAH COMPARISONS PLZ?!" bands at the moment, but Animals as Leaders has enough "different" elements to keep them a bit a head.
they don't sound that much like meshuggah at all. the first song a little bit...but defiantly not enough to be criticized for ripping off meshuggah.
My signature sucks.
Someone on another forum I go to was pretending to be the bassist from Born of Osiris. He tried to pass a song from these guys as a new BoO song.

He was found out pretty quickly, but I like these guys.
This bored the **** out of me. And the guy's youtube vids did absolutely nothing for me.

I appreciate experiements and trying to be creative and original and all that jazz, but this doesn't work.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
This bored the **** out of me. And the guy's youtube vids did absolutely nothing for me.

I appreciate experiements and trying to be creative and original and all that jazz, but this doesn't work.

You're just too close-minded to get it.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Contraband

You dont understand jazz music.
Great minds think alike?
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
You're just too close-minded to get it.

Lol? What's there to get? The music does nothing for me.

Quote by diminishedtobme
You dont understand jazz music.

What does this band have to do with jazz music? I like my fair share of jazz, and this my friend, is not jazz. And it's certainly a poor attempt at fusion.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Apr 6, 2009,
Quote by Contraband
Lol? What's there to get? The music does nothing for me.

Exactly my point. Your feeble mind cannot comprehend such complex moving music. It's not my fault you haven't been enlightened yet and still choose to listen to your talentless so called "raw", and "brutal", and "bestial goatfukk" music instead of the masterpiece that is whatever this band is.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Exactly my point. Your feeble mind cannot comprehend such complex moving music. It's not my fault you haven't been enlightened yet and still choose to listen to your talentless so called "raw", and "brutal", and "bestial goatfukk" music instead of the masterpiece that is whatever this band is.

You're right. These guys are nowhere near as raw and brutal as Miles Davis.
I've found Jesus
Never speak such ills of Miles Davis! I won't have you associating his art with your talentless noise.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
i'm liking this.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
But....

being brutal and raw is the ultimate goal of any musician. I was merely complementing the Davis. This Tosin Abasi feller can go eat a nekrophallus, for he is a disgrace to black musicians everywhere. I thought if you were black, it practically meant that you were automatically good (see: Victor Wooten and every other black musician to exist).
I've found Jesus
Quote by UncleCthulhu
And for further lolsome Meshuggah comparisons:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2nmy0kgdymu

stop raining on other peoples' parades
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Anyway, this has been fun, but I don't want to overdo it. So, on that note, I bid you adieu
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Damn, I haven't seen that movie in ages. Shame Evan almighty sucked balls.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Honestly, this IS raw talent, and so what if a portion of it sounds Meshuggah-esqe. It is not a copy by any means.
What the **** is raw talent? If you mean that he has some chops, then yes he does. But, they're either sloppy, harsh or both. If you look at his youtube vids, it seems like another classic case of the "look-at-me-and-my-amazing-equipment-even-though-I-can't-play-it-to-save-my-life" syndrome.

I didn't know they custom-made 8 stringers for douchenozzles.
I've found Jesus