New york Big Muffs are awesome, if a little on the bright side.
DS-1's are good if your going for the basic approach ala Bleach.
Bassfuzz.com has a lot of good reviews.

The Eathbound Audio Super collider was made for doom metal/sludge, so that could get you a very think fuzz if you wanted it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Spaz91
Would that be able to get the sound fromn 'No One Knows' (QOTSA) and 'Fatso Forgetso' (Kyuss)?

Dunno. However, I did point you in the direction of a site that does very good reviews, including video demos and high quality soundclips. The Super Collider has been reviewed there.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If your willing to shell out the cash Fulltone Bass Driver or the Sansamp Bass Driver.

If your not so willing MXR Blowtorch and AMT Communist Pig are decent alternatives.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by Captain Insano
If your willing to shell out the cash Fulltone Bass Driver or the Sansamp Bass VT.

If your not so willing MXR Blowtorch and AMT Communist Pig are decent alternatives.

fixed
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Captain Insano
If your willing to shell out the cash Fulltone Bass Driver or the Sansamp Bass Driver.

Actually, for stoner/sludge, you want to be looking at very think, bassy fuzz pedals in general. QOTSA are don't really fall under those genres, and in all honesty probably suit clean bass more, as the guitarist's use plenty of distortion, and the bass still needs to cut through. Stoner and sludge have much more of a "wall of sound" approach.

The overdrive will be too subtle and/or an unsuitable sound, the blowtoarch is far to musical and nice as a fuzz (it's very clean, in a way that the fuzz never gets out of hand, and it is always in control). No opinion on the communist pig.

As I said before, check out bassfuzz.com and see what pedals catch your attention.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you've got a small amp like me you're not gonna get much of the quality benefits of a decent pedal, so do what I do for a similar effect:

1. Twist/push the tone bias/pickup knob all the way to either side on the bass
2. Max the volume of the bass and the amp
3. Max the presence on the amp
4. Adjust the treble and mid controls accordingly, and put the treble output from the bass at 1/10.
5. PWOAHHWOWOAORORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHVVVVVVVV
Can guitards just fuck off please?

Anyway, I still think the Fulltone Bass Drive is the best distortion pedal for anything, but the MXR El Grande bass fuzz has a great "stoner rock" clip on their website.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Can guitards just fuck off please?

Anyway, I still think the Fulltone Bass Drive is the best distortion pedal for anything, but the MXR El Grande bass fuzz has a great "stoner rock" clip on their website.

Hate to contradict you, but can you imagine the Fulltone pulling off something like an Electric Wizard line? The Fulltone is fantastic for overdrive, and damn good for moderate distortion. However, if you want fuzz, you need something else.

And to Saf1, what the hell? Listen to thefitz.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I like my Fuzz from the MXR Blowtorch!!! DAMMIT!!

It's controllable, meaning I keep a level of melody in my bass but can be nasty as hell, especially with plenty of huge phat low end, thats my tone in a very brief nutshell, and my band's pretty QOTSA and Kyuss inspired
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
I like my Fuzz from the MXR Blowtorch!!! DAMMIT!!

It's controllable, meaning I keep a level of melody in my bass but can be nasty as hell, especially with plenty of huge phat low end, thats my tone in a very brief nutshell, and my band's pretty QOTSA and Kyuss inspired

I suppose it depends what you want to do. If you want to play bass line in any other band, but with fuzz, the blowtorch should be excellent. It's very flexible and I seriously considered getting one for a while.

However, if you want a fuzz where you just become the mix, and make everything heavier, rather than punching through, I'd try out some other fuzz pedals.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I think we are going for the 'wall of sound effect' (don't worry I have two other bands to play properly in.) I'm looking for a smooth fuzz with very little of the original sound left in, will the Blowtorch be able to get that?

(If you want an idea of the sound look up 'no one knows' on youtube and listen to the bass fill near the end.)
Quote by Spaz91
I think we are going for the 'wall of sound effect' (don't worry I have two other bands to play properly in.) I'm looking for a smooth fuzz with very little of the original sound left in, will the Blowtorch be able to get that?

(If you want an idea of the sound look up 'no one knows' on youtube and listen to the bass fill near the end.)

Blowtorch isn't really wall of fuzz. There are some pretty good demos on youtube. It does have an adjustabel blend, but I found it to always be under control. If you want a wall of sound effect, I would look at some slightly more extreme fuzzes. However, make your own mind up. One person's lead bass fuzz will be another's wall of fuzz.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm a huge fan of the DigiTech DF7 "Distortion Factory". At $99 USD it's a little pricey, but it features seven different pedal/cabinet models and lots of options so you can tweak your sound however you want. I've got one and it's probably the most versatile pedal I own. Trust me, you won't need another distortion pedal after this one.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Spaz91
That pedal itself it far too harch however the fuzz that plays during the into is EXACTLY the sound I want!

It's done on a short scale fretless bass. Even having the same pedal will not get that tone.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Dude, trust me on the DF7. Try one out next chance you get to stop through a music store. You won't be dissapointed.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Spaz91
That pedal itself it far too harch however the fuzz that plays during the into is EXACTLY the sound I want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsTslFRS88

Maybe this one?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

Definitely did not use one of those to do the intro. Grygrx only recently designed and has those built.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Definitely did not use one of those to do the intro. Grygrx only recently designed and has those built.

Might be worth just mailing the guy and asking.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!