So I'm looking to put in some new pickups on my MIM Strat. My price range is about 250 USD, and my amp is a Peavey Vypyr 30 (Please no "Save up and get a new amp" response. Don't worry, new amp is next on the list).

Obviously the stock pickups are nothing great, but I found that the bridge is much too thin sounding for most any lead playing. So in the bridge I was looking for something thicker, hotter, and good for classic rock solos.

In the middle and neck, I definately, definately want a to keep that classic Fender tone, and get something good for blues and Southern rock (Allman Bros. stuff ).

I was thinking about getting Hot Rails in the Bridge, and Cool Rails in the neck, but then I was lost for what to put in the middle, and I didn't know if that would keep the classic Fender tone. Then I was thinking about Lace Sensors, but once again, I didn't know if that Fender tone would be there. Then, since i really wanted that Fender tone, I was thinking something like a Fender Custom Shop '69 pickup set, but I don't know how hot the bridge would be, and if it would still sound really thin. So obviously I have a dilemma.

So what do you think would be good for me?
Strats & Seagulls
Aren't those routed for either a universal or HSS set up? If so,I'd go with a hotter humbucker in the bridge,like a Duncan JB or Dimarzio breed and then some lower output single coils in the neck and middle.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I put a hot rails in my strat before i sold it and it improved the sound quality tremendously.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Aren't those routed for either a universal or HSS set up? If so,I'd go with a hotter humbucker in the bridge,like a Duncan JB or Dimarzio breed and then some lower output single coils in the neck and middle.

I was curious myself as to whether it was routed for a humbucker. I've never been that inclined to take of the pickguard and find out myself. I don't trust my self with... A screwdriver.
Strats & Seagulls
They make single coil duncan JBs I believe.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by 0RI0N
They make single coil duncan JBs I believe.

Ahh that's right,they do.DiMarzio also makes single coil versions of the tone zone and some other mid-high output single coil buckers.I'd figure out how the pup cavity is routed TS and then make your decision.If it can hold an HSS set up then that'd probably be your best bet for a more chunky and powerful sound in your bridge.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by xxBR34KD0WN

Obviously the stock pickups are nothing great, but I found that the bridge is much too thin sounding for most any lead playing. So in the bridge I was looking for something thicker, hotter, and good for classic rock solos.

In the middle and neck, I definately, definately want a to keep that classic Fender tone, and get something good for blues and Southern rock (Allman Bros. stuff ).

So what do you think would be good for me?

To really get that signature Allman Brothers tone, you're really going more towards les paul territory. Not really what you'd think of in terms of classic Fender tone. I know Duane used a strat sometimes in the studio, but everyone kind of associates his tone with the les paul. Especially that velvety tone that you hear on "Live at Fillmore East".

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore.html

A suggestion for the bridge humbucker. For that early Allman Brothers live tone. Really they need a les paul to really get that Duane thing going, but they sound great regardless. These are what I use to get Duane's tone, think "Hotlanta" or "Midnight Rider" from "Live at Fillmore East."

Really gets that saxophone-like middle position tone in a les paul, though I can't really tell you how it's sound in a strat.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I was curious myself as to whether it was routed for a humbucker. I've never been that inclined to take of the pickguard and find out myself. I don't trust my self with... A screwdriver.

screwdrivers can be a deadly tool indeed, all of a sudden you have a bunch of screws lying on the floor and no idea where they came from

But uhmm shouldnt be too hard to unscrew them as long as you keep track of what you do
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
texas special for neck, get a rail or lil 59 for the bridge and middle is really whatever you think you're looking for
Quote by Pr0gNut
Ahh that's right,they do.DiMarzio also makes single coil versions of the tone zone and some other mid-high output single coil buckers.I'd figure out how the pup cavity is routed TS and then make your decision.If it can hold an HSS set up then that'd probably be your best bet for a more chunky and powerful sound in your bridge.

I just put new strings on, too. Oh well, I'll check that out as soon as possible. What would you suggest for the neck and middle, though, while we wait on the bridge?

Quote by al112987
To really get that signature Allman Brothers tone, you're really going more towards les paul territory. Not really what you'd think of in terms of classic Fender tone. I know Duane used a strat sometimes in the studio, but everyone kind of associates his tone with the les paul. Especially that velvety tone that you hear on "Live at Fillmore East".

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore.html

A suggestion for the bridge humbucker. For that early Allman Brothers live tone. Really they need a les paul to really get that Duane thing going, but they sound great regardless. These are what I use to get Duane's tone, think "Hotlanta" or "Midnight Rider" from "Live at Fillmore East."

Really gets that saxophone-like middle position tone in a les paul, though I can't really tell you how it's sound in a strat.

Yeah, I guess I'm dreaming if i think I can get Duane's sound with singles, but I guess I'm not looking for his tone exactly, but something good for blues and southern rock in general.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I just put new strings on, too. Oh well, I'll check that out as soon as possible. What would you suggest for the neck and middle, though, while we wait on the bridge?

Yeah, I guess I'm dreaming if i think I can get Duane's sound with singles, but I guess I'm not looking for his tone exactly, but something good for blues and southern rock in general.

I can't think of anything ATM,but I'd look on Dimarzio and SD's website and check out what they offer.DiMarzio has a ton of info on their pups like specs,sound clips,and the pups EQ as well as recommendations for certain sounds on their site.