HI, ummm.....I haven't been playing that long but the thing is I can play things like Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold and i've never had a lesson in my life. I've started to get bored with learning loads of songs because i realised i know nothing about guitar really. And now im worried i might not be able to progress when i really want to. I play alot of Metal and like to play quick but not pointlessly quick. Has anyone got any suggestions about where I should go or what I should do next.
????
Never had lessons? Get one with a good teacher. He'll point you to the right direction.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Learn to play blues? Do some guitar grading exmas? Learn to chicken pic? Learn some Jazz?
You haven't been playing long, yet you worry you've reached your peak? Get lessons or something, see how that goes. Maybe try playing in some different styles. Start writing your own material, maybe get a band going, the possibilities are endless....
You can never reach your peak.

There are so many genres out there that involve different routines, patterns and techniques.
You just have to find them

Get a guitar teacher, show him what you can do.
If your better than him, then make him pay!
Quote by Aurigo
You can never reach your peak.

There are so many genres out there that involve different routines, patterns and techniques.
You just have to find them

Get a guitar teacher, show him what you can do.
If your better than him, then make him pay!

+99999483562
Learn some Opeth They never took lessons either.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Thing is i only know one guitar teacher in the area and he rips ppl off by keeping them behind a grade so he gets payed for another week and so on so i though are there any good websites that give lessons for free and are just as good as having a teacher?
There is no peak with guitar playing or ability trust me. I second getting a teacher. I was in the same situation you are in and I went to a teacher and he pointed out a million things I could improve on. It was only a little disheartening but in no time at all I was back on track and loving life even more with my guitar and my music. You may be able to play these songs but it's not if you can play them it is how and why.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
1) learn jazz chords
2) learn jazz theory
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
learn theroy. like guitar theroy, like the circle of fiths, the modes and stuff.
Quote by SilverDark
Never had lessons? Get one with a good teacher. He'll point you to the right direction.

Also this.
I've been looking at the lick library DVD's on theory are they any good for that because I know they're great for learning songs.
????
lessons arent always neccessary id say buy a few instructional books on theory etc and maybe learn a new style blues is always good and will be very helpful to your development as a player if youre into metal or rock
99-------------55--------6666-------44-----444
99-------------55-----66-----66-----44-44--44
99-------------55-----66--66666---44--44--44
99-------------55-----66-------66---44--------44
99999999---55------66--------66--44--------44
Quote by E0HopwoodC
HI, ummm.....I haven't been playing that long but the thing is I can play things like Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold and i've never had a lesson in my life. I've started to get bored with learning loads of songs because i realised i know nothing about guitar really. And now im worried i might not be able to progress when i really want to. I play alot of Metal and like to play quick but not pointlessly quick. Has anyone got any suggestions about where I should go or what I should do next.
????

Learn something new
stop worrying about how good you are
Just enjoy playing

There are so many things to learn, you can spend your entire lifetime and not learn them all. So forget about the "peak" thing. Just dig in and enjoy it.
First, there is no peak. A long time ago I thought I was about as good as I was gonna get, then I started studying Jazz and was a complete beginner again.

Just enjoy playing, learn some theory, train your ear, and write some songs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.