Suppose you played the following:

e-15-13----------------------------------13-15-13-----------------------
b----------15-13----------------13-15---------------15-13-15-----------
g--------------------14-13-14----------------------------------------------
d------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What scale would that be in? I'd like to continue in that scale, and possibly try to make a rhythm according to it.

I posted this in the pit and got made fun of so I'll not be making that mistake again lol. But yeah any help would be appreciated.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Forgive me, but I know nothing of technical muscial composition or music theory, I just play what sounds good. So, having said that, what do you mean by "F major pentatonic scale with the blues note added."?

I understand the F major part, but the "blues notes"? What would a normal F major scale be, without them?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by blueriver
Are you playing it over anything? I could be alot of different things.

Over anything? I don't understand. If you mean over a rhythm or something, then no. I'm trying to figure out the scale to get a rhythm for it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Ok, well it could be several things since it isn't a full scale. The chords played under it will determine that.
That's just it, without context you can't say what scale it is - the backing is what tells you the scale.

Without context it's just a bunch of notes that could be from any number of scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright, thanks. Like I said I don't know anything about music theory so I was unaware.

Do you have any suggestions of chords to play with that?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Forgive me, but I know nothing of technical muscial composition or music theory, I just play what sounds good. So, having said that, what do you mean by "F major pentatonic scale with the blues note added."?

I understand the F major part, but the "blues notes"? What would a normal F major scale be, without them?

The 'blues note' is the flatted 5th note of the minor scale. So in D minor the blues note would be G, as it is in your lick.

And blueriver is right. Scales are determined by the chords on which they are played, because the same scale will sound completely different on different chords.
those notes plus a couple i added make up the bebop scale in Bb

(Bb) C D (Eb) F G Ab A (Bb)

or if you wanted to treat that pattern as a chord structure with an embellished it could be an Amin11 chord w/ a leading tone into the pattern

Ab A C (E) G D F
Everyone who gave a scale as an answer is wrong kinda.

TS which chord sounds best under it.

If you can tell us this, ur question will be correctly answered.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It sounds like it wants to resolve to D, so I'd say call it D blues - you can play it over D major, D minor or D7 and they'll all fit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com