whats the difference? i mean like from fender to ibanez to w/e and stuff....
Music drives me.
Try out the different brands and see for yourself.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Well they all make basses differently, it's effectively the same has having different brands of cereal. Not really sure what your trying to get from this thread though to be honest, do you want a detail description of each company? Because they all have websites.
Quote by shinhoman

x
aww cute

EDIT: loll i didnt read the post correctly and typed the wrong stuff in

yeaah anyway, just go try a few
Quote by shinhoman

x

i'd love to try them out.. but i cant... my local store wont let me.. bunch of f*ck....
and i dont have money to buy like a bunch just to try them out = =" and i dont really know anyone who plays bass that i can borrow from.... sucks to be me i know

EDIT: i just wanna know what you guys think... i mean like based on experience... whats the difference? in tone, or anything... you know
Music drives me.
Last edited by bert000 at Feb 20, 2009,
Well, what type of music do you play, what do you currently have? All the usual jazz we need but are never given.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Every model of bass sounds different and feel different to play.

The manufacturers generally have a bit of flavour that all their models have. For example, Warwick basses tend to have a very specific feel and tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well i just started bass a few months ago... all ive got is a fender replica which ive basically destroyed HAHA... i believe it's a SX brand bass... i think.. cuz i basically destroyed the headstock and the entire neck by painting it with black paint Haha
Music drives me.
this may not be what you're looking for but i was just going to say that brands like ibanez or ESP make basses more tendered towards metal and fender is more classic rock
I love ESP
Then go on a day trip to the biggest store around. Play evreything, dont limit yourself.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
im sorry ... but honestly ive never played a ibanez/warwick/real fender or whatever... = ="
i live in asia.. good guitars cost a buttload
Music drives me.
Quote by bert000
i'd love to try them out.. but i cant... my local store wont let me.. bunch of f*ck....
and i dont have money to buy like a bunch just to try them out = =" and i dont really know anyone who plays bass that i can borrow from.... sucks to be me i know

EDIT: i just wanna know what you guys think... i mean like based on experience... whats the difference? in tone, or anything... you know

WTF
Then how can they expect that someone buys something. I mean I wouldn't buy a car before I did a test drive, so why would I buy an instrument without trying it before I buy.

Tell them that example or just stop buying stuff from them and let them go Insolvency (I know my english is horrible).

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I concur that if you can't try them out, you can't make an informed decision. Maybe try calling around, see if there are any shops that will let you try before you buy. If there are pawnbrokers in your area, try them too. The ones around here have used instruments.

But, to answer your question from my experience, some brands to consider: Ibanez, Fender/Squier, ESP, Schecter

Brands to avoid: Dean, Gibson/Epiphone
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
I concur that if you can't try them out, you can't make an informed decision. Maybe try calling around, see if there are any shops that will let you try before you buy. If there are pawnbrokers in your area, try them too. The ones around here have used instruments.

But, to answer your question from my experience, some brands to consider: Ibanez, Fender/Squier, ESP, Schecter

Brands to avoid: Dean, Gibson/Epiphone

another brand to consider would be Spector or Yamaha
First off, what kind of store doesn't let its customers try out their guitar? Unless of course, you go in and just ask to try it out.

The difference is most importantly on the sound they produce, which depends on the style you play / want to play. Other factors include durability, finish, looks, among others.
Quote by aaciseric
Well they all make basses differently, it's effectively the same has having different brands of cereal. Not really sure what your trying to get from this thread though to be honest, do you want a detail description of each company? Because they all have websites.

+1.

its like cereal.

u gotta try em all before you know what u like best.

i like coco pebbles...mmmm
Quote by thegiaco2112
another brand to consider would be Spector or Yamaha

I'd also consider Yamaha - they make great entry level electric basses. Living in Asia, wouldn't there be a lot of Asian brands available to play?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
yea.. yamaha guitars thats pretty much all ive seen.. and a bunch of guitars "MADE IN CHINA" ... not exactly very pleasing....
Music drives me.
I notion that some make a thread to get sticked that would cover all ranges of guitar brands, amps, pickups, etc into one post/thread. That would be AWESOME and very useful.

As for major brands, we have:
Dean, ESP, Fender (and the cheaper Squier by Fender), Ibanez, Music Man, Peavey, Rickenbacker, Schecter, Spector, and Yamaha.

From what I gather, Fender is an all-around sound that everyone seems to love, though I haven't tried out a high-priced American-made one yet. I own an Ibanez, they're mostly tailored to rock and heavy stuff which isn't my cup of tea, but is a solid bass, ESP is in the same vein here. Rickenbacker basses are very expensive but are suppose sound amazing and be top-of-the-line instruments. Music Man also sell fair expense basses and as a thread I started recently, people seem to absolutely love them with no negative things to say.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
I notion that some make a thread to get sticked that would cover all ranges of guitar brands, amps, pickups, etc into one post/thread. That would be AWESOME and very useful.

Dunno if anyone else would put the effort in , but I'd contribute my (admittedly limited) knowledge. Just think though, if someone makes a "should I buy this bass" thread, we can just give them the link.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Whatever happened to doing your own research? There'll be soundclips everywhere for most instruments, amps, pickups, effects through google, and most of the things about them are down to personal taste- from feel to tone. One person's metal tone may be someone elses indie tone, for example. I personally don't think a thread would help out that much, and nothing beats doing your own research.
Threads like this make no sense...there are literally hundreds of manufacturers, each with between 3 and 30 different models. Obviously only 30-40 manufacturers are widely known, but that still leaves a couple hundred basses that you're asking about.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by bert000
yea.. yamaha guitars thats pretty much all ive seen.. and a bunch of guitars "MADE IN CHINA" ... not exactly very pleasing....

What part of Asia do you live in? I'm sure there's heaps of cool brands that we haven't heard of. As for the "MADE IN CHINA" thing who really cares? Lots of cool stuff is made in China.

Did you find a Yamaha that you liked?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by bert000

However, they did make a John Myung signature for a fair while, which is supposed to be very good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
This is one of those questions that make me think, that if you have that much problem making informed decisions or observations that joining a religious cult is an obvious choice.

Take your musical preferences, get to a store and tell the local sales folks. I have x amount of money to spend, I like this type of music, so show me some basses. The local shops where I frequent (non-GC) are more willing to let younger players try out more expensive stuff once they build a relationship. So buy a few lower end items (strings, straps, cables) from your local and esp. in this economy, you make see them a bit more willing to pay attention to you.